Same Sex Marriage and the economy

I figured this out as to why many states are passing laws to allow same-sex marriage. It is all about the money. This will cause states to generate more revenue for many businesses especially in the wedding sector. Am I wrong to believe this or am I being too cynical? Any thoughts?

Certainly many things can contribute to what has been happening. I would imagine there are some in the wedding business that will benefit. However I don’t beleive the primary force behind these changes is money.

I beleive it is being fueled by those that want whatever lifestyle they choose to be sanctioned by society. People who live the homosexual lifestyle do not want to feel like outcasts, really, no one wants to feel like an outcast! At our core as human beings is the primal desire to be loved and accepted. I beleive even Jesus Christ, being fully human was hurt when he was not loved and accepted. While love and acceptance is wonderful, love and acceptance of someones sin is not wonderful. The drive for many is for their behavior not to be seen as sinful or a perversion of sexuality but normal. Just my thoughts.

I don't think money really comes to play, at least directly.

It looks a whole lot like ideology to me, sprinkled with pandering for votes and campaign contributions. Apparently, politicians are not too worried about Christian backlash and are handsomely rewarded by the gay lobby.

This is a good point you make . It could be one of the reasons however I dont think primary reason . I think it could also be the liberal agenda as well . To push the lack of Christian moral agenda .

[quote="Tucker2, post:1, topic:249600"]
I figured this out as to why many states are passing laws to allow same-sex marriage. It is all about the money. This will cause states to generate more revenue for many businesses especially in the wedding sector. Am I wrong to believe this or am I being too cynical? Any thoughts?

[/quote]

If anything, allowing same-sex marriage will cause the state to lose money, not gain it. Married couples are given financial benefits because they are likely to have children, and children are beneficial to the state. However, same-sex couples, should they marry, would also be required, by law, to receive these benefits, despite the fact that homosexual unions are inherently sterile. The same-sex couples cannot give back to the state for the benefits they would receive, and the state would end up with empty investments.

I posted this link in a thread that I started about a related topic pertaining to same-sex marriage, but I think it would be relevant here as well: tech.mit.edu/V124/N5/kolasinski.5c.html

The link goes to an article that talks about the financial implications as well as other state-related, secular aspects of same-sex marriage. Give it a read if you feel inclined ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.