Same sex marriage in Protestant churches

What Protestant Church’s now allow same sex marriage?

If im correct of the top of my head, Episcopalians. And I beleave the Methodists just missed allowing it by a narrow margin at their convention a few months ago.

Only the ones that ignore true and orthodox teaching.

No. The Episcopal church does not allow same-sex marriage. The only church as far as I am aware is the Lutheran Church in Sweden.

"Allowing" same sex marriage I think would mean allowing marriage to become a perversion. :(

MJ

Metropolitan Community Church, some Quakers, some Liberal Jewish Synagogues.

Various others will not marry, but will bless same sex relationships, like the Episcopalians.

rossum

:confused: Isn’t blessing the same sex relationships really the same as saying you pretty much agree with them?

No, we didn’t “just miss it.” It was a greater margin than when it was first debated in 1972.

The Episcopal Church just permitted blessing SS Relationships, as well as allowing transgendered people to be ordained. The United Church f Christ allows SS blessing as well. It would be difficult continuing to call TEC a Christian entity as they have walked away from the basic tenets of the Christian faith.

But I am confused here what is the real difference spiritually speaking of a blessing and marriage?

In their eyes nothing. The term TEC used was “committed lifelong relationship”. The reason they have attempted to define it as marriage is to normalize it and make speaking out against it more difficult. The basic message is the same “God lifts this up as a good and recognized relationship with the blessing of the Church”.

It points out one of the major faults of Liberation Theology. It defines itself as always having to “liberate” some group from injustice. Eventually you find yourself liberating yourself from the truth of God.

It’s just the most recent implementation of Genesis 3: 4/5:
4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

Spiritually and practically they are the same. Not calling it gay marriage does not mean it is not gay marriage. The name does not determine the meaning.

I believe it possible the reason this was approved as a same sex blessing rite rather than explicitly opening up what they call marriage to the same sex is more political. Explicitly calling it gay marriage could greatly intensify the exit from the Episcopal Church. If this is so, and I am only speculating, then this motivation would itself be immoral as it would be deceptive.

The Protestant church I grew up in performed gay marriages. Actually, they leave it up to each individual congregation to decide whether or not they will. But many, if not most do. (Disciples of Christ church)

Though it’s a slightly different context, the comments by the Catholic Archbishop of Westminster, Vincent Nichols, may help to illustrate the difference:

"We would want to emphasize that civil partnerships actually provide a structure in which people of the same sex who want a lifelong relationship (and) a lifelong partnership can find their place and protection and legal provision. The actual scope of the same-sex union regulation is not the same as marriage because when it comes to the same-sex partnerships there is absolutely no reference to the sexual relationship or sexual activity which is obviously essential to marriage, so there is a profound difference in law in this country at present.”

I think most denominations see marriage as between a man and woman, but perceive a clear differentiation between that and what a blessing is bestowing on a couple (regardless of their sexuality).

Episcopal, ELCA Lutheran, Presbyterian (PCUSA). These are off the top of my head so I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure.

Oh yeah, United Church of Christ.

No - only ELCA have conducted gay marriages.

Grace & Peace!

Have they really walked away from the basic tenets of the faith? For instance, has the Episcopal Church made any official statement denouncing the Nicene or Apostolic Creeds and stating explicitly that these creeds are no longer statements of normative Christian belief?

Under the Mercy,
Mark

All is Grace and Mercy! Deo Gratias!

No they haven’t. I just find Episcopalians and other Christian faiths that might fall somewhere along the more mainline - liberal Christian spectrum just get a lot of negative energy devoted to them here. People can agree or disagree with their theology but they’re Christian.

I’m reminded of something an Episcopal priest told me not long ago. A gentleman disagreed with her on homosexuality. She asked the man if he belibved in one God and in Jesus. When the man replied he did, she said well so do I. And just because we disagree on homosexuality does not mean we can not worship Him together as a family. The man, she told me, has be in church regularly for the past 8 yrs.

God bless and peace to all Christians as they walk along their journeys of faith with Him, united as family in the One most important of all, Christ the Lord and Savior.

Relax. The Episcopal Church is a Christian entity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.