Same sex marriage - staight to hell?

A friend of mine has been dating this guy who is not Catholic, for 5 years. And, he has a brother who is married to a man. She went to talk to a priest (who I know of) who I set up for her to talk to , and she told me that he told her that those who are married to the same sex are going straight to hell. I really love and respect this priet a lot, but I am curious as to what you all think of this. Although I don't believe that those who are married to the same sex will go to Heaven, I don't know for sure and I don't think any one knows except God. So, was the priest right in saying this? (By the way, this priest is amazing, and our community respects him soo much, and he helps so many people).

You have a second hand account of what a priest supposedly told someone.

Why waste time asking about “what the priest said” when you do not actually know what he said? What can be gained here?

Why don’t you go talk to the priest and ask him instead?

Third-hand information aside, you say you don’t believe “those who are married to the same sex will go to Heaven”, which only leaves hell (unless you are thinking they will be purged in Purgatory). The four last things are: Death, Judgment, Heaven and Hell. So after death and judgment, one either ends up in hell, or heaven (with possible stopover in purgatory).

As for repenting of the sin of fornication (two men cannot be married), two men living together cannot be absolved unless and until they agree to live as brother and brother - i.e. no sexual activity. If they don’t live as brother and brother, no absolution happens in Confession and the mortal sin remains.

And St. Paul is clear about this type of mortal sin resulting in hell, in 1 Corinthians 6:9b-10 (NAB) :
Do not be deceived; neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes nor sodomites nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God. *

The footnotes:
verses 9-10: A catalogue of typical vices that exclude from the kingdom of God and that should be excluded from God’s church.

verse 9 - The Greek word translated as boy prostitutes may refer to catamites, i.e., boys or young men who were kept for purposes of prostitution, a practice not uncommon in the Greco-Roman world. In Greek mythology this was the function of Ganymede, the “cupbearer of the gods,” whose Latin name was Catamitus. The term translated Sodomites refers to adult males who indulged in homosexual practices with such boys.

God bless you.

[quote="Cupcake143, post:1, topic:313838"]
A friend of mine has been dating this guy who is not Catholic, for 5 years. And, he has a brother who is married to a man. She went to talk to a priest (who I know of) who I set up for her to talk to , and she told me that he told her that those who are married to the same sex are going straight to hell. I really love and respect this priet a lot, but I am curious as to what you all think of this. Although I don't believe that those who are married to the same sex will go to Heaven, I don't know for sure and I don't think any one knows except God. So, was the priest right in saying this? (By the way, this priest is amazing, and our community respects him soo much, and he helps so many people).

[/quote]

Perhaps, it would be more useful to spend your time praying for the mercy of God for all sinners and a bit less focusing on others sins. No one is equipped to judge a soul except God, himself.

I can't imagine the life burden of one who is gay. All I know is that I am called to love.
Besides, I have enough to do to try to keep my own soul from the fires of hell...

If you “have enough to do to try to keep” your “own soul from the fires of hell”, then you can imagine the burden of one who is gay.

The priest may or may not have put it precisely in those words without reservation.

Anyone guilty of any sin who is truly repentant cannot go straight to hell. This we are taught.

Sodomy, which would seem to be at the heart of same-sex marriage, is surely what the priest was talking about. (See Paul’s warning below)

I would first recommend reading what the Catechism says. Here is a link to what it says about homosexuality and chastity:

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm#2357

If you would like to search the Catechism of the Catholic Church then you can use this link:

scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

I hope that this can help you as regards the official teaching of the Catholic Church. I would also strongly recommend that you talk to this priest that you mention in your original post. Its better to get the story right from his mouth rather than second hand.

While I can’t comment on what the priest may or may not have said, here is an objective truth that is always true in every case:

Any person who has any sort of sexual activity with a person of the same gender is committing a grave sin. If they did so freely, knowing of it’s gravity, and die in that state, they will indeed go to hell. It’s not pretty, but neither is the grave distortion of marriage.

If the priest actually said that, what a shame. No one can say who goes to hell except for God.

No. While engaging in homosexual activity is grave matter, your priest was very VERY wrong to have made such claim in regards to Hell.

[quote="cargau, post:4, topic:313838"]
Perhaps, it would be more useful to spend your time praying for the mercy of God for all sinners and a bit less focusing on others sins. No one is equipped to judge a soul except God, himself.

I can't imagine the life burden of one who is gay. All I know is that I am called to love.
Besides, I have enough to do to try to keep my own soul from the fires of hell...

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="Delaine75, post:9, topic:313838"]
If the priest actually said that, what a shame. No one can say who goes to hell except for God.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Obviously the situation is not good but no one knows who will be saved and who will not. I think when it is all over there will be many raised eye brows ( figuratively speaking ) as to who gets in and who doesn’t. The priest you mentioned may or may not have said what your friend reported ( just hear say, what she said, what yous say…). And of course if true, it would have been very wrong to say that. He may have been having a bad day, our priests are very over worked and under constant stress. We could help them a lot by not being so demanding and doing all we can to help out. :thumbsup:

Absolutely no one can ever say for certain that someone will go to hell.

It's also 100% pointless to say, that, for example, "if you die unrepentant after committing X sin you WILL go to hell!", because no one can ever know the (purported) sinner's state of repentance and/or their knowledge of the seriousness of the sins they commit.

Seriously, some people ought to get the planks out of their own eyes before they worry about the specks in their neighbors'.

The mercy of God is available to all.
Maybe when that young man is 75, he’ll be a saint, and maybe I won’t be.

I’d say that mocking marriage makes the situation a little more bleak, as it’s kind of like blasphemy.

[quote="Debora123, post:10, topic:313838"]
No. While engaging in homosexual activity is grave matter, your priest was very VERY wrong to have made such claim in regards to Hell.

[/quote]

Shall we condemn St. Paul then...

Do not be deceived; neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes nor sodomites nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.

[quote="Cupcake143, post:1, topic:313838"]
A friend of mine has been dating this guy who is not Catholic, for 5 years. And, he has a brother who is married to a man. She went to talk to a priest (who I know of) who I set up for her to talk to , and she told me that he told her that those who are married to the same sex are going straight to hell. I really love and respect this priest a lot, but I am curious as to what you all think of this. Although I don't believe that those who are married to the same sex will go to Heaven, I don't know for sure and I don't think any one knows except God. So, was the priest right in saying this? (By the way, this priest is amazing, and our community respects him soo much, and he helps so many people).

[/quote]

Well who is going to hell? It says the gates of heaven are narrow and the gates of hell are wide. That means a lot of people.
I think it's refreshing to hear a priest say something that may actually happen to us if we are living in sin. Sin kills the soul. He can't judge him to hell, except God, but he can condemn the actions as actions that will send you there if we don't repent. He is looking out for souls and telling the truth that Jesus proclaimed, than he is a good and faithful priest. :)

No, we shouldn’t condemn anybody. It wasn’t right of her priest to say everyone in a same sex marriage is going to hell. Others here have said the same thing.

[quote="PolarGuy, post:14, topic:313838"]
Absolutely no one can ever say for certain that someone will go to hell.

It's also 100% pointless to say, that, for example, "if you die unrepentant after committing X sin you WILL go to hell!", because no one can ever know the (purported) sinner's state of repentance and/or their knowledge of the seriousness of the sins they commit.

Seriously, some people ought to get the planks out of their own eyes before they worry about the specks in their neighbors'.

[/quote]

Agreed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.