Same-Sex Marriages Have No place in Africa

see chronicle.co.zw/same-sex-marriages-have-no-place-in-africa/
Before the UN the president of Zimbabwe in Africa said that upholding human rights is an obligation “but vehemently rejected the imposition of what he called ‘new rights’ for gay marriage that had been advocated elsewhere in the world.”
A Catholic leader in this country, this article reports, said that “according to the Catholic church, homosexuals close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementary. The Church teaches that marriage can only be between a man and a woman and opposes introduction of both civil and religious same-sex marriages.” He also said that “the Church holds that same-sex unions are an unfavorable environment for children and that the legalization of such unions is harmful to society.”

Excellent! This is what I call a REAL progressive society. The dying West and First World could learn a lot from Africa! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

All of you applauding this should take a step back and realize what this kind of rhetoric has done in that country.

LGBT people face violence and attacks, even by the police. In 2012 The U.S. Department of State joined Amnesty International and LGBT activist groups in condemning police violence and harassment against LGBT Zimbabweans.

President Mugabe has increased the political repression of homosexuals under Zimbabwe’s sodomy laws. Mugabe has blamed gays for many of Zimbabwe’s problems and views homosexuality as an “un-African” and immoral culture brought by colonists and practiced by only “a few whites” in his country. During his 82nd birthday celebrations, Mugabe told supporters to “leave whites to do that.” Mugabe has instructed journalists, most of whom work for state-owned institutions, to report unfavorably about gay relationships. Some critics believe that Mugabe is using gays as a scapegoat to deflect attention from Zimbabwe’s economic problems.

In 1995, Mugabe declared: “Homosexuals are worse than dogs and pigs; dogs and pigs will never engage in homosexual madness; even insects won’t do it.”

Yes, TRULY a progressive society that we should follow.

Rhetoric has done nothing. People in Africa are not reacting to what is said on CAF. :rotfl:

If anything, many African nations are on guard against the new left-wing imperialism.

Kind of shocked at your total lack of empathy.

People in Africa are not reacting to their leadership that blames their nations problems on gay people? The same gay people that face violence and discrimination, even at the hands of their own police?

You honestly read those words uttered by the President, and think to yourself that’s okay?

You have to remember that many of these countries have a problem with how to handle polygamy and the like before they can even worry about gay marriage. There’s a much different problem in Africa from a pastoral perspective than there is in the west.

Advocating a simulation of marriage is not going to change this.
But it will seek to normalize sinful behavior.

Africa has enough to deal with, we do not need to provide the degradation of our society as well.

You of all people are praising an avowed Marxist who has violently stolen land from and killed white citizens out of colonial backlash and just plain old racism as a leader the west could learn from? I guess politics, or at least extreme anger towards homosexuals, really does make strange bedfellows.:shrug:

Also, keep in mind, this is one country. It’s lazy and foolish to roll an entire continent with more than 50 nations into one for purposes of sociological or political discussions.

Several countries in African have been strongly anti-gay. Back in 2014 there was a proposal to apply the death penalty to homosexual acts in Uganda. They later reduced the severity from death to life in prison on the bill (which is an increase from the previous sentence of 14 years in prison).

And I think we all can agree this is terrible, regardless of your stance of SSM.

That’s because many if not all cultures on the continent don’t view homosexuality in a positive light even prior to the arrival of Christianity and Islam.

=BlueEyedLady;14496268]You of all people are praising an avowed Marxist who has violently stolen land from and killed white citizens out of colonial backlash and just plain old racism as a leader the west could learn from? I guess politics, or at least extreme anger towards homosexuals, really does make strange bedfellows.:shrug:

First, I wasn’t defending Marxism. The issue on this thread is marriage, not Marxism. I’ve referred to Mugabe as a dictator. Still do. :wink:

Secondly, I love how the left decides it cares about whites only when there’s a chance to slam someone who isn’t liberal.

Third, I have posted multiple times that homosexuals are actually more reasonable to talk with than straights who doing but virtue-signal vitriolically. So much for my “extreme anger towards homosexuals, eh?” GRRRR…:mad::mad::mad: :smiley:

Also, keep in mind, this is one country. It’s lazy and foolish to roll an entire continent with more than 50 nations into one for purposes of sociological or political discussions.

The issue isn’t nations, it’s marriage. All of Africa except South Africa rejects so-called gay “marriage”.

If you really cared about gay people you would denounce Zimbabwe’s treatment of their LGBT groups, not applaud the nation as some form of liberal bastion - its actually amazing that you won’t denounce it.

Yes, that is a point of concern. Perhaps the West should back off their social engineering. Policies such as imprisonment and execution may be just a response to that.

The policies have nothing to do with the west. They relate directly to the homophobia of their dictator.

You think same-sex ‘marriage’ is okay?

Maybe, just maybe, the Church has the right idea - those with SSA are called to be celibate…no more violence…no more discrimination…no more repression…

It’s a win - win.

I don’t subject myself to liberal conditions to state the obvious just because they lose all the time— nor do I base policy recommendations based on “caring”. As a minority, I know what that means in progressive circles (that the only people they care about is themselves), and my advice to GLBTQ folks is to stay as far away from liberals as possible because should sharia law become :cool: the progressives would sell them out for execution in a hot second.

I think we can. I also agree with your statements about this not being a good example society on how to treat homosexuals.

I’m not as familiar with the same sex laws in Zimbabwe. I tried to look them up and found a few things. In 2006 they criminalized actions perceived as homosexual, such as two men holding hands, hugging, or kissing. The laws are only applicable to men. Female homosexual acts are not criminalized.

I support SSM. I don’t advocate for it on this board, because I know this platform. What I CANNOT abide is people reading a story like this, and seeing it as some form of conservative, Christian victory - when in practice, people are in really danger and pain because of the way Zimbabwe’s leaders speak on this subject.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.