Same sex unions

Hi, i'm Catholic and i was wondering ..is it ok to attend a protestant church wedding when its a same sex union ?

NO. It is not. The Church has clearly stated we may not support such a grave act in any way. It is not a wedding.

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20030731_homosexual-unions_en.html

In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. One must refrain from any kind of formal cooperation in the enactment or application of such gravely unjust laws and, as far as possible, from material cooperation on the level of their application. In this area, everyone can exercise the right to conscientious objection.

This was recently discussed and that thread removed due to, I surmise, uncharitable posting. I can't help but wonder if this is an attempt to restart that thread, given the timing.

Catholics don't believe in the legitimacy of same sex weddings (even though I am a supporter of the civil contract that gives them the same permissions in law that married couples have, since it is consentual between one another and doesn't bring God to the equation), so you really shouldn't be there as a witness to such union, and you're giving a supportive emphasis on an union that should be restricted to God's criteria, since it is done in a Christian church (I couldn't care less about what they do outside of it, honestly). In a way, that witnessing can and may be considered sinful...

Do you love these people? Would you want them to be happy? If yes go support them.

No. There is no such thing as a so called same sex marriage.

Pray to God and ask him for guidance on this matter. My own feeling is that, like Christ did, you must be tolerant and forgiving and loving of people, even if you do not agree with their choices.

Bishop Tobin said this:
“At this moment of cultural change, it is important to affirm the teaching of the Church, based on God’s word, that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered,” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, #2357) and always sinful.

And because “same-sex marriages” are clearly contrary to God’s plan for the human family, and therefore objectively sinful, Catholics should examine their consciences very carefully before deciding whether or not to endorse same-sex relationships or attend same-sex ceremonies, realizing that to do so might harm their relationship with God and cause significant scandal to others.”
Source: diocesepvd.org/letter-to-catholics-on-the-approval-of-same-sex-marriage-in-ri/

[quote="TheKingdomOfGod, post:7, topic:339148"]
Pray to God and ask him for guidance on this matter. My own feeling is that, like Christ did, you must be tolerant and forgiving and loving of people, even if you do not agree with their choices.

[/quote]

And you would show love by not showing up, because loving someone isn't supporting all of their choices, it's wanting what is best for them and supporting their choices that lean in that direction. No one supports their children in a crack addiction, like purchasing crack for them, but they do support their child if they make the decision to go to rehab. In a similar manner, you should not support someone's sins, like attempting a so-called "gay-marriage". You can still love on them in other ways that do not support their sins but support their well being.

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:339148"]
NO. It is not. The Church has clearly stated we may not support such a grave act in any way. It is not a wedding.

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20030731_homosexual-unions_en.html

In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. One must refrain from any kind of formal cooperation in the enactment or application of such gravely unjust laws and, as far as possible, from material cooperation on the level of their application. In this area, everyone can exercise the right to conscientious objection.

[/quote]

I can't find the part in here where Cardinal Ratzinger says you cannot attend the ceremony (i guess he wrote this somewhere between 1977-2005).
I see where he says you should not support it, but not where he says you must not attend.
(Attending doesn't always mean you support that specific Christian church's doctrine on it)

Do you know where that part it is?

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:339148"]

[/quote]

This. And it is true for everybody.

[quote="bzkoss236, post:9, topic:339148"]
And you would show love by not showing up, because loving someone isn't supporting all of their choices, it's wanting what is best for them and supporting their choices that lean in that direction. No one supports their children in a crack addiction, like purchasing crack for them, but they do support their child if they make the decision to go to rehab. In a similar manner, you should not support someone's sins, like attempting a so-called "gay-marriage". You can still love on them in other ways that do not support their sins but support their well being.

[/quote]

Addiction to drugs and being gay and getting married/forming a partnership with the person you love, are in no way similar. As I said previously individuals may have differing views on their friend's choices and opinions, but both as friends and good Christians you must love them, forgive them when they do run and be tolerant of their decisions.

God made us male and female, in the image and likeness of God.

By partaking in this ceremony, you would be not only encouraging your friends to sin but also guilty of it, yourself. If you truly love God, you would obey his commandments and rules. If you truly love your neighbor, you would encourage him to do the same.

[quote="TheKingdomOfGod, post:7, topic:339148"]

[/quote]

[quote="bzkoss236, post:9, topic:339148"]

[/quote]

Exactly!

I think Catholics and all Christians should take the time and read Ven. Archbishop Fulton J Sheen's work *** "A Plea for Intolerance"* **

[quote="sealoch, post:5, topic:339148"]
Do you love these people? Would you want them to be happy? If yes go support them.

[/quote]

If I love a friend, I admonish him when he's looking for happiness in the wrong place. Heck, I may even get into a fight with him if we're lifelong friends. Same with a kid: if I love him, I don't give him all he asks for. Matter of fact, I discipline him when necessary. I'm not going to blindly support all nonsense that makes him (apparently) happy. I want true happiness for him.

Besides, I love him in body and soul. Some just love the body and ignore or deny the soul, and consider happiness from a sensual/hedonistic approach. We know there's more.

We must indeed be tolerant and forgiving. But tolerant and forgiving towards people, not towards error. From the standpoint of Christianity, such a ceremony is a sacrilege of the worst kind. We cannot withstand or endorse that.

As it concerns the holy religion, you must be a light for them and for the world, just because you love them and want them to be happy.

Regardless, 1ke posted the answer you asked for, quoting the Holy See: "In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty."

[/quote]

Love is not tolerance

BISHOP FULTON J. SHEENChristian love bears evil, but it does not tolerate it.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/images/authos/Sheen8.JPG  [LEFT]*Christian love bears evil, but  it does not tolerate it. * 

It does penance for the sins of others, but it is not broadminded about sin.

The cry for tolerance never induces it to quench its hatred of the evil philosophies that have entered into contest with the Truth. *

*It forgives the sinner, and it hates the sin; it is unmerciful to the error in his mind.

The sinner it will always take back into the bosom of the Mystical Body;
but his lie will never be taken into the treasury of His Wisdom. *

*Real love involves real hatred:
whoever has lost the power of moral indignation and the urge to drive the buyers and sellers from the temples
has also lost a living, fervent love of Truth. *

*Charity, then, is not a mild philosophy of "live and let live";
it is not a species of sloppy sentiment. * [/LEFT]
*Charity is the infusion of the Spirit of God,
which makes us love the beautiful and hate the morally ugly.

[/quote]

Do you love these people? Do you want eternal life for them? If yes don't support them in an action that may prevent them from getting to heaven.

[/quote]

Sometimes you need to show them that this isn't exactly the path for their happiness. If you support what you objectively think it's wrong, then you're giving the wrong message to your friend, and not being that much of a friend after all, if you sincerely believe it's a mistake.

[/quote]

**Your post is predicated on the assumption that what they do is "good", **because if what the "couple" was about to do was (to your mind) objectively bad - say - rob a bank, or kill a nasty neighbour, you would not (I assume) encourage their friends to help them do it or give them support.

You really should point out your starting position, so that the "logic" of your advice is clear.

Those following the Catholic teaching start from a different position, so might recognise that your logic doesn't work for them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.