San Antonio fake military hero could get prison

San Antonio fake military hero could get prison

http://www.kxxv.com/global/story.asp?s=12779930

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - An Army veteran in San Antonio who fabricated a glowing military career with awards for heroism could be sent to prison.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Pamela Mathy on Thursday declined to set bond for 39-year-old Brian Culp and set a July 15 probation revocation hearing.

Culp in December 2008 pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three years of probation for his military deception.
Culp, who served two tours in the Army, had faced six months in prison on charges of falsely claiming a Purple Heart, falsely claiming a Bronze Star with valor and creating a fake ID that gave him access to military installations.

The San Antonio Express-News reported Friday that Culp in late June was kicked out of a halfway house amid allegations of insolence, lying and intimidation of staff.

**[FONT=Arial]They need to lock his butt up—Stan! **[/FONT]

According to the San Antonio newspaper, he is currently in jail on probation violation. Here is some background on his conviction:

Prosecutors opted not to file felony charges that he created discharge papers that allowed him to obtain Purple Heart license plates and claim veterans benefits. Prosecutors wanted Culp jailed for six months, but U.S. Magistrate Judge John Primomo gave him three years of probation.

In March, Primomo ordered Culp to serve four months at a halfway house after Culp failed to follow court orders that he participate in mental health treatment and anger management, pay a $500 fine and not open new lines of credit without permission.

mysanantonio.com/military/bogus_hero_is_sent_to_jail_98086139.html

However, he has caused repeated problems at the halfway house, eventually being kicked out for being "physically intimidating and verbally aggressive” to a staff member.

His probation revocation hearing is on July 15th, but until then he has been denied bond.

Thank you Dale. :thumbsup:

Hmmm…??? :hmmm: The way things are today, my guess is he’ll either win a seat in Congress or be appointed some kind of Czar. :shrug:

There was a similar incident in Britain a few months ago - the fellow got caught after he turned up to a veterans parade in the south of England wearing medals from almost every British conflict from the Zulu War of 1878 to the Gulf.

Yeah I remember that one he also claimed he was with the SAS!!! :eek:

I still don’t understand these fake hero’s why do that do it, “Hey look at me”? :confused:

LOL

Well, that was pretty obvious. :smiley:

Honestly, I wonder if the guys (and it always seems to be guys) who do this have some kind of mental problem which they share in common? Sometimes they are so blatantly obvious in their fakery - like the guy, a few months ago, who showed up at his high school reunion dressed as a US Marine Lt. Colonel, dripping with medals and ribbons.

These kind of incidents, unfortunately happen too often here in the States. The US Congress even passed federal law a few years ago making it illegal to falsely claim military honors which were not earned. I think that is the law under which Brian Culp was convicted.

This law, however, is under court challenge.

[quote=Associated Press article]Attorneys in Colorado and California are challenging the law on behalf of two men charged, saying the First Amendment protects almost all speech that doesn’t hurt someone else. Neither man has been accused by prosecutors of seeking financial gain for himself.

Jonathan Turley, a professor at George Washington University Law School who is not involved in the two cases, said the Stolen Valor Act raises serious constitutional questions because it in effect bans bragging or exaggerating about yourself.

“Half the pickup lines in bars across the country could be criminalized under that concept,” he said.
[/quote]

stripes.com/news/stolen-valor-act-facing-legal-challenges-1.98832

BTW, Stan, you are welcome. Thank you for bringing this topic up for discussion. :thumbsup:

[quote="Dale_M, post:7, topic:204798"]
LOL

BTW, Stan, you are welcome. Thank you for bringing this topic up for discussion. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Dale,

We had this guy when I was in Germany in 1981 and he had a 4th Infantry Division patch on his right sleeve! Which means you have been in combat if you have a patch on your right sleeve. He claimed he was in Vietnam.

I listening to his BS because he’s younger than me and I was not old enough to be in NAM. My older brother is a Vietnam Vet, I’m a Vietnam Era Vet but I never served in Vietnam I just missed it.

I noticed that this guy’s pay voucher never came to the platoon office? On an army voucher on the bottom it has your total Time In Service [TIS] and even if you had a break in service it will have the total time; like if I was active duty two years got out for three years came back active duty for two years it would show four years TIS.

Well this guy took leave back to the world and as usual I would go to the Orderly Room and pick up the platoons pay vouchers; his was one of them! His TIS was only five years—no way in hell he served in Vietnam. I reported it the First Sergeant when the guy got back he made him rip all those combat patches off his uniforms.

And I cussed him out at the NCO Club ask if he wanted a piece me? .

[size=3]Now the story doesn’t end here:

This fool got orders back to the world, he goes in front of a promotion board; guess what? He has that 4th Infantry Division patch on his right shoulder. The board members ask him about his Vietnam War stories. When you go in front of a promotion board they have your field 201 file in front of them—of course there was nothing posted in Combat Zone in his file.

They busted him—like you said maybe it’s a psychological problem? I can understand a crook doing that to steal people’s money but this guy; I don’t have clue?[/size]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.