San Diego Police Shooting: One Officer Killed, One in Surgery

NBC News:

San Diego Police Shooting: One Officer Killed, One in Surgery

A police officer was fatally shot and another seriously injured during a traffic stop in San Diego late Thursday, officials said. San Diego Police said early Friday that one person was in custody, but told residents to stay indoors while they searched the area for other potential suspects.
SWAT vehicles, helicopters and patrol cars were involved in the extensive operation.

The injured officer was in surgery and the police department urged the public to “keep him in your prayers.”
San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman told a press conference that her department was hopeful the officer would survive.
The force confirmed in a tweet early Friday that the second officer had died.

:signofcross:

Praying for the repose of the fallen officer’s soul and praying for the recovery of the second officer.

Saying prayers

The second office is expected to recover thankfully.

Looks like it happened in one of San Diego’s more dangerous neighborhoods where gang activity is high.

Prayers for the police and their families, and the people of San Diego.

For the slain officer:

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.

For the wounded officer:

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

O Mary, who was conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

For all police officers:

Saint Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God
cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits
who prowl throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

May God grant us peace in our communities.

And so it continues

Or maybe, now EVERY shooting of a cop is going to be instant national news, maybe thats why it seems like this is happening so often? In the past this generally would not have made the national news, much less, be breaking news.

There has been a 44% increase in police shooting this year over last year.

You’re likely spot on. I mean the number of officers killed nationwide this year stands at 67, which is only an 8% increase over the numbers YTD last year where 62 had been killed. This is bigger news because they’re making it bigger news in the context of everything that’s been going on of late.

But sadly it’s not like any of this is terribly out of the ordinary. I mean there’s no evidence this shooting had anything to do with any trend nationally. It occurred to two gang task force officers in a very heavily gang infested neighborhood of San Diego. While tragic, there’s likely no larger agenda here other than what has been going on in that neighborhood and the adjacent ones for years. I mean the neighborhood just across the I-15, Logan Heights, was featured on that Gangland TV show for a reason. San Diego is a beautiful city, but like all big cities it too has a dark side. The area where this shooting occurred is that dark side.

My thoughts and prayers are with the slain officer and his family. And with the recovering officer and his family.

As of July 27th we have a 72% increase over last year:

foxnews.com/us/2016/07/27/shooting-deaths-law-enforcement-spike-in-2016-report-reveals.html

I saw a report that said 78%. I think I posted it in another thread.

Don’t know where Fox is getting it’s numbers, but they’re half of the ones released by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. 67 officers have been killed in the line of duty this year, far more than the 33 Fox is reporting.

The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund on Wednesday issued a report revealing that 67 law enforcement officers have been killed in the line of duty through July 20 this year — an 8% increase over the same period last year, when 62 officers were killed.

I mistyped-it is 78%

washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/27/shooting-deaths-of-police-up-78-percent-this-year/

Not comparing apples to apples. Heres what they said:

Latest Memorial Fund Fatalities Report

2016 Mid-Year Law Enforcement Officer Fatalities Report

According to preliminary data compiled by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, as of July 20, 2016, sixty-seven federal, state and local law enforcement officers have died in the line of duty this year, increasing eight percent over the 62 officers killed in the same period last year.** We’ve also found an alarming 78 percent spike in firearms-related officer fatalities, many of which were ambush-style killings.**

62 or 67 is too many!

This is the third fatal shooting for the San Diego PD since 2010. The previous shooting in 2011 was a tragic ambush shooting of an officer who we later found out had just performed a wonderful act of kindness for a young man as he picked up his lunch at McDonald’s a few minutes before he was shot. :frowning:

sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jul/28/2-officers-shot-southcrest/

I give anyone a lot of credit for becoming a police officer, especially nowadays. Everyday they risk insult, injury and their very lives to protect us. They and their families are very courageous.

I can’t imagine what it is like to wonder daily if your father/mother husband/wife etc. is going to come home alive each day. Let’s keep all of them and in our prayers.

Thank you very much for your service and dedication.

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.