San Francisco passes law forcing all pet shops to only sell rescue dogs and cats

independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/san-francisco-puppies-kittens-law-pet-shops-only-sell-rescue-animals-a7586186.html

San Francisco officials have voted to ban the sale of non-rescue dogs and cats at pet shops as part of a concerted effort to eradicate “inhumane” puppy breeding operations in the city.

The amendment will not affect licenced breeders however it will aim to tackle the prevalence of large-scale “puppy mills”, while helping to facilitate the adoption of thousands of animals already occupying the city’s shelters.

San Francisco will not be the first US city to implement such a measure, which will also ban the sale of animals under eight weeks old. Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston and Austin all enforce similar legislation.

Good. Puppy mills are awful.

Good news :thumbsup:

I am sort of ok with this. I know there is an overpopulation of cats and dogs. I am so happy to see the development of networks of no kill shelters that maintain animals throughout their lives, find foster homes for them. Just in the last 20 or 30 years this has really advanced as an idea. I thank God for it. I always spay and neuter my animals. But when I was younger, we had kittens and I remember that joy. It is so amazing. Good for kids too. And I actually think about how sad it is that my cats won’t reproduce - yes I think it is silly and sentimental to think about. I don’t deny it. But I do actually have really fantastic cats - fact. And it is the end of the line. However, again, I don’t mind seeing shops mandated to sell rescue cats. This is a good thing for the most part. I know breeders will go around the law but the law could save the lives of a lot of really fantastic cats. :slight_smile:

So happy to hear this! I have two rescues that were taken from a puppy mill in poor conditions. Due to inbreeding in the mills, many of the poor animals have internal health issues that are usually chronic. :frowning:

San Francisco officials have voted to ban the sale of non-rescue dogs and cats at pet shops as part of a concerted effort to eradicate “inhumane” puppy breeding operations in the city.

“San Francisco currently has no known pet shops selling dogs and cats…”

So, the law does nothing. :shrug:

It makes them feel good about themselves, and isn’t that what the law is for?

My sister has had two puppies from a puppy mill. Both were sick and had seizures. It sounds like a good thing to ban the sales of puppies and other pets and force the sale of rescue animals, but I wonder if it isn’t an infringement on our basic tenants of free enterprise. Just wondering. Peace.

And the ones from the animal shelter are sick too.

The best pet comes from a home. Not a shelter. But they’ve made it politically correct to get them only from a shelter instead of where the healthy ones are. Why would anyone bring a sick animal into contact with their children?

I think those advertisements showing they’ve saved a severely burned or beaten dog prove the shelter’s cruelty. That animal should have been euthanized. Not put through numerous surgeries and unimaginable pain. Millions of chickens and pigs and cows are killed everyday for food. But it’s wrong to kill a stray dog or cat? It’s nearsighted to say it’s better to keep them in a cage in a crowded building forever.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.