San Francisco Priest removes photo of Pope Benedict

breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/03/11/Pastor-Removes-Pope-s-Picture-For-Fear-of-Offending-Gays

Putting it in perspective, this is the population we’re talking about. Below is from an article from fall of last year:

Although a gay-friendly Catholic church in The City’s Castro neighborhood is receiving heat for allegedly banning drag queens from all future events on its premises, church officials are saying that while they opposed the idea at first, they quickly changed their minds.

Members of the Castro Country Club, an LGBT addiction recovery group, say the new pastor of Most Holy Redeemer Catholic Church told them they could not hold their third annual Harvest Feast fundraiser on the premises if drag queens were to participate.

And although church Business Manager Michael Poma acknowledged that Pastor Brian Costello did tell members of the Castro Country Club that they could not hold their event if drag queens were scheduled to attend, Poma said he quickly reversed his decision.

“Father Brian wasn’t educated about the importance of drag queens in the gay community,” Poma said. “Once it was explained to him, he said they were welcome to attend as long as their behavior was church-appropriate.”

:bigyikes:

“This is not a ban on drag queens or an insult to the gay community whatsoever,” Poma said. “In the church hall there have been issues with weddings and other groups, so we decided to put an end to them altogether. We are part of the community here and to think that we’re banning drag queens is obnoxious and ridiculous.”

However, Castro Country Club members seem to be viewing the new policy as an intentional slight.

“In previous years, we have had Ivy Drip and Heklina, both well-known entertainers and community fundraisers, serve as emcees of the event, and we felt we could not in good conscience abide by the new policies,” the club’s board said in a statement to the Bay Area Reporter.

The ban on outside events was scheduled to go into effect at the end of September, but was pushed forward after the church consulted with the San Francisco Archdiocese. Although the Bay Area Reporter suggested Salvatore Cordileone, who is set to be the next archbishop, made the decision, the archdiocese insists it was completely up to the parish.

“The new archbishop has absolutely no authority until Oct. 4 when he takes over,” Archdiocese spokesman George Wesolek said. “I’m pretty sure he didn’t even hear about this issue until now.”

Wesolek said there have been several events on the premises that were not “church-appropriate.” The San Francisco Gay Softball League allegedly held an event consisting of men stripping and simulating sex acts.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: sfexaminer.com/local/2012/08/faux-pas-puts-sf-holy-site-fix#ixzz2NJ06Q1EP

::groan::

I read the comments of Benedict XVI and once again am floored by his wisdom.

I struggle to write anything that is charitable.

I will pray for all those concerned.

Amazing, just because you are behind enemy lines doesn’t mean you capitulate. If you do, you become a collaborator with the enemy.

I am so tired of people who desire to create the Church in their own image.

Isn’t attending a LGBT addiction recovery group in drag
counterproductive ?

Quite a different angle to think if Jesus Himself was the One preaching at the Homily at that Mass in the mist of Catholic LGBT’s would He candie coat words that LGBT’s cold swallow easy or would He be justifiably and morally be blunt to the point? We all know the later is the answer.
It’s hard to believe a priest can be influened by the pressures of an opposing moral group of people within his own parish. Or is it that he fears losing their souls if he doesn’t give in to displeasing LGBT overtures from some of his parish members. Was that the real reason the preist removed the photo. Sad. :frowning:

Peace
Chris

That priest has lost his way. His center should be Christ and his guide should be the Pope as the Vicar of Christ.

The priest should be teaching doctrine, and if the laity do not accept Church doctrine and threaten to leave, so be it. The article hits the nail on the head, in that this particular parish is about LGBT identity, not Catholic identity, and the removal of the Pope’s picture proves it. The parish needs to have CATHOLIC identity restored. The parishioners and the priest need our prayers, as does the bishop who should be putting his foot down on this nonsense.

Is breitbart.com considered news?

:thumbsup: Good Point!

The priests at my parish took down the framed picture of Benedict at the rectory because he’s retired. A picture of the new pope will go up as soon as one is available.

The people and clergy not in tune with God’s teachings will have to answer at some point for what they are doing. Whilest it is not up to us to pass judgement, I fear that there are many who will be in for an awful time when they have to account for their doings.

There was a story in the Toronto Globe and Mail (theglobeandmail.com/commentary/a-pope-for-the-church—or-a-pope-for-the-world/article9602111/) that talked about what the role of the future pope would be. Not a single positive comment after the article.

The atheists, secularists, anti-Catholics, and deviants of all kinds are ridiculing us and mocking God and his Church. I’m afraid the joke will be on them :frowning: I shall pray for them.

It has to be enormously difficult for the Pastor.

I would hope he could find a way to encourage more appropriate behavior among his flock. He is put in an awkward situation, and is unfortunately being bullied.

I heard about this, actually from the church’s bulletin (which is posted on their website). It made my stomach turn, particularly when the priest tried to use “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do,” as a holier-than-thou, we know better than that poor, backwards, stuck in the dark ages Pope statement, and characterizing Benedict’s (and the Church’s) views on homosexuality as “shortcomings.” At the time, there was no news article about it, but I wondered if it would end up here on CAF.

I noticed an error in the article, though. I don’t believe Fr. Meriwether was “demoted after hosting the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence.” As I recall, that fiasco occurred in 2006, but Fr. Meriwether left the parish in May 2012, and no reason was given.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.