San Francisco schools ban the JROTC program

SAN FRANCISCO — High schools across the city soon will no longer have Junior Reserve Officers’Training Corps programs after officials decided to eliminate them because of the Pentagon’s"don’t ask, don’t tell"policy regarding gay service members.

Full story here

1,600 students kicked out of the JROTC club in San Francisco high schools because of a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy regarding sexual orientation. Basically said policy states that sexual orientation is not to be a topic of conversation in the military.

This is one of the most blatantly anti-military acts I have ever seen. In an interview with Bill O’Reilly, district officials claim that students are being subjected to unnecessary pressures if recruiters are allowed to sow ideas among them. Um… excuse me? A “don’t ask don’t tell” policy seems to ELIMINATE pressure to me. Why aren’t homosexual clubs banned from schools then, if we’re following this line of thought?

Furthermore, students are NOT forced or pressured into the JROTC programs. They must go to the officer on campus and get parental permission to join. And as a JROTC representative said:

“If people want to participate in it and their families want them to participate, I think they have a right to participate without putting them in the political peril of being in this ideological debate.”

I think this whole thing is outrageous. Thoughts?

This is the same city who greeted me upon my return from Vietnam in 1967. I was standing in the Greyhound bus station in San Francisco, waiting for a bus home, justly proud of my uniform and decorations, grateful to be home alive after so many of my comrades had died. A rather elderly lady approached me, looked me up and down with menace in her eye and loudly asked me how many villages I had burned and how many children I had killed. I have never forgotten that day and I have not and will not set foot in that accursed city. In my opinion, any and all Federal monies accruing to San Francisco should stop immediately.

Thread closed

Already being discussed here: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=119659

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.