Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus

Hello everyone. There’s a parish in my area which I believe has sang the same “Sanctus” for about 20 years. All fine and good but as I was singing it today at Mass I was looking at the Missal and the choir sang something different. Anyone have a source for sheet music of common Mass settings with the new English translations? Not sure which particular “Sanctus” it was tonight, but it’s a very common one everyone’s heard.

There’s only one Sanctus that I know of, and it’s in Latin. I don’t know what the current English is because I never use it.

Each of the 18 Mass settings has its own Sanctus. There are also three versions one can use ad libitum. You can find them in the Graduale Romanum of 1974 which is still in print, published by the monks of Solesmes:

Graduale Romanum

Thanks though there’s a lot more Mass settings, and the one looking for isn’t one of the 18 from the Abbey in Solesmes. This one’s a newer composition that everyone’s heard a thousand times.

Why not email the pastor or music director? They’d be able to tell you for sure, we’d only be guessing…

What I’d like is a source for common Mass settings (online preferably) with the most up to date English translations of the Mass, currently in use today in the Ordinary Form. I don’t need to know the name of the Mass setting of this Sanctus per se, though if I do happen to come across it I’ll know so.

It’s challenging when we’ve been singing it for two decades a certain way, and have to learn the new arrangement for the new translation. Sometimes people revert to the old translation out of habit.

Mass of Creation setting for the old translation?
youtube.com/watch?v=6Q5B9nmefZU

It’s soon going to be worse for us Francophones. They’re changing the translation of the Lord’s Prayer sometime in the next year or so. Now, I’m 56 and I’ve been praying it in French the same way since childhood. It’s going to be tough, I pray it during the day (Liturgy of the Hours). Well mostly in Latin during the LOTH if I’m at home but in French if I’m reading the LOTH elsewhere. At the Mass I attend at a Benedictine abbey, it’s chanted in French and we all chant along. When the translation comes, I’m hoping they switch to Latin. I know it by heart in Latin and the current French version. They do the Ordinary and Propers in Latin already so I’m hoping they do the Lord’s Prayer too.

Personally I think it’s stupid to change something as fundamental as the Our Father. The excuse given is to make the meaning clearer. Sheesh, you mean I didn’t know what I was praying for the last 50+ years or so? :shrug:

Perhaps you are being subject to “the final test”. :smiley:

-Tim-

Or perhaps procure the copyrights and collect the royalties.

I’m in a cynical mood today.

I hadn’t been aware of this change.

It will be the third version for me. I’d been praying “*ne nous laissez pas succomber à la tentation” *for 10 years before it became “ne nous soumets pas à la tentation” back in 1966. Always had a problem with the second person singular for a prayer to God.

I don’t know French but in the Latin (ne nos inducas in tentationem) the second person subjunctive is probably better translated as “May you not lead us into temptation” rather than as a command. There is a distinction in this particular phrase.

The original prayer addressed God in the “polite” second person plural, as we still address Mary in the Hail Mary, but when they revised the Lord’s Prayer in the 60s we started addressing God in the second person singular. I know some children who didn’t even address their parents in the second person singular.

It’s that way in the Polish too. Third person such as “pan” or “pani” is more commonly used when speaking in discussions with others. Second person singular pronoun would be more provoking it seems.

Good guess as I’ve probably heard this just as much but actually I’ve come to find the Sanctus I’m thinking of to be from the St. Louis Jesuits Mass. Unfortunately I can’t find one with singing worthy of posting as a reference, but here’s one with just piano (and not that great either :o). I must have heard it a million times growing up and it’s still being sung at my previous parish with an old translation. It seemed like just a lady and a couple kids singing in the night choir though; perhaps the bigger choir at the morning Mass does it differently.

Thanks everyone… turns out this Mass was composed by Fr. Robert J. Dufford, SJ in 1973. I’ve attempted to get in touch with him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.