Sandals at Mass?

I just got a pair of "Franciscan" sandals from Italy and I was wondering if it would be appropriate to wear them at Mass? It's not like I'd wear them just at Mass, but I kind of want to wear them everywhere and I'm at the church pretty often so I'm just wondering if it's okay.

You can see what they look like at this link to the page I bought them from If it helps to know the design:

[quote="CarlosBarrera, post:1, topic:300156"]
I just got a pair of "Franciscan" sandals from Italy and I was wondering if it would be appropriate to wear them at Mass? It's not like I'd wear them just at Mass, but I kind of want to wear them everywhere and I'm at the church pretty often so I'm just wondering if it's okay.

You can see what they look like at this link to the page I bought them from If it helps to know the design:

[/quote]

I don't have a problem with sandals at Mass. I know some people do. But live in California where where practically any footwear not made of plastic is considered formal.

[quote="SMHW, post:2, topic:300156"]
I don't have a problem with sandals at Mass. I know some people do. But live in California where where practically any footwear not made of plastic is considered formal.

[/quote]

I too live in California, however, many of the parishoners at my parish go with flip flops! I don't like that's appropriate at all.

[/quote]

They look very nice. You have good taste in sandals. :) IMHO if you are at Mass to be in His presence and to worship Him which I have no reason to presume otherwise and so can say you are, I see nothing wrong with it. Christ Himself and his disciples have been depicted in sandals. So I will never believe He would mind. He is just glad to see you and to welcome you I think. When I've attended Catholic Masses, I often have gone in a nice clean pair of sneakers and cargo shorts and a clean, plain tee shirt. I have not been the only one. Actually I recall having seen flip flops. I've never judged anyone's heart based on their footwear at a Catholic Mass. Your sandals look more than fine to me. God bless you as you walk in them with the Lord. Peace be with you.

[quote="CMatt25, post:4, topic:300156"]
They look very nice. You have good taste in sandals. :) IMHO if you are at Mass to be in His presence and to worship Him which I have no reason to presume otherwise and so can say are, I see nothing wrong with it. Christ Himself and his disciples have been depicted in sandals. So I will never believe He would mind. He is just glad to see you and to welcome you I think. When I've attended Catholic Masses, I often have gone in a nice clean pair of sneakers and cargo shorts and a clean, plain tee shirt. I have not been the only one. Actually I recall having seen flip flops. I've never judged anyone's heart based on their footwear at a Catholic Mass Your sandals look more than fine to me. Peace be with you.

[/quote]

Yeah I guess it may be just the way I have been disciplined. I was a minor seminarian last year and some of the other seminarians who had sandals weren't allowed to wear them in the chapel. I guess I wasn't sure if that was a universal rule, or a rule of the rector. Pax!

[quote="SMHW, post:2, topic:300156"]

[/quote]

I agree. This.

Though I do not wear them at Mass myself, I don’t have a problem with most sandals on other people. Your sandals are tasteful and discreet. I have seen strappy, sexy, nightclub-type footwear in church that really made me go :eek: but yours doesn’t fall into that category. I would think it should be no problem for you to wear those sandals to Mass, although being unfamiliar with your parish I can’t say for sure. No one in my parish would blink. :slight_smile:

I think people should wear whatever is best for their feet.

Lots of older people wear tennis shoes with velcro fasteners because they can manage to get them on. Certainly not very "formal" or dressy, but much safer and healthier.

People with diabetes or other circulation issues should be wearing shoes that are healthy for their feet and will prevent ulcers.

I have to wear orthopedic shoes, which I hate, but hey, I'm very grateful to have my feet! Some people aren't so fortunate.

IMO, sandals remind us of Jesus and His disciples, and I think that's really nice, especially during a Mass!

IMHO, sandals are fine for poor, itinerant preachers such as Jesus Himself or Franciscans or Dominicans. However, if you are an ordinary, worldly member of the laity and you are not homeless or destitute, you probably own a set of dressy clothes that you may wear to work or funerals or something. These are the clothes that you should be wearing to Mass.

I have a very low income and I do not spend money on clothes for the fun of it. I tend to pick up my dressier things at thrift stores nearby. But I maintain a "business casual" style of dress for attending liturgies, and I feel that this is the minimum necessary for respectful attire at my suburban parish. Our pastor is an orthodox man and requires strict decorum, especially from his ministers and volunteers, of which I am one in service to the choir or as an altar server.

I would not dare show up as an altar server in anything less than my button-down, collared white shirt, black dress pants with belt, and black dress shoes. Father has been known to turn away would-be servers who do not meet the dress code. Likewise, he has had some stern talks with the choir director about members wearing proper clothing. We live in an area where it gets extremely hot, and men and women alike must be reminded each summer of the importance of decorum and modesty in dress. A section in the bulletin is dedicated to this purpose during the hot months.

I do not know what kind of pants and shirt you would wear with the sandals in the OP, but they would seem rather out of place in a "business casual" or better ensemble.

Just as I do not consider myself eligible to wear a Franciscan habit, I do not consider myself eligible to wear Franciscan sandals to Mass. Your mileage may vary!

[/quote]

As you can see there is no hard and fast rule on this. Everyone has their opinion.

My rule of thumb is that one should wear to mass that which they would wear to meet their King. As a visual aide, I say to people, if you were going for a private audience with the Pope, the Vicar of Christ, how would you dress?

Of course the above applies primarily to "Sunday Mass"...
Weekday masses are a bit different. People may be on their way to work in a factory or a construction site etc and so they are dressed accordingly.

Now - you say that you are around church "pretty often". If that means at times other than mass, cleaning, or other duties - or just stopping in for a quick prayer, then one dresses appropriate to those tasks.

So - like I said earlier...there are no hard and fast rules....and now you have just one more opinion...:D

Peace
James

Although others will disagree, I say if sandals were OK for our LORD or His friends, they are definitely ok for those who drop His name!

I live my life either in sandals or barefoot (and am several thousand miles from Cal.)

We won't have dress shoes on when we see Him:)

ICXC NIKA

Bless whatever conveyance brings one before the King Who alone is clothed in holiness.

Like Cat, I wear shoes that are good for my feet. Yes, they have Velcro, so I can loosen them as the day goes on.

These are what I wear, most days going to church or not. Would I wear them to meet the Pope? Yep, unless he was coming to my house and I didn't have to walk anywhere to see him.

amazon.com/Clarks-Womens-Wave-Whisk-Sandal-Smokey/dp/B003UTW984/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1348924281&sr=8-7&keywords=clarks+wave

Dress shoes for a woman? Haven't seen one pair I could put on for more than 15 minutes.

[quote="CarlosBarrera, post:5, topic:300156"]
Yeah I guess it may be just the way I have been disciplined. I was a minor seminarian last year and some of the other seminarians who had sandals weren't allowed to wear them in the chapel. I guess I wasn't sure if that was a universal rule, or a rule of the rector. Pax!

[/quote]

My priest has a "no sandals" or other "beach wear" permitted in church rule, out of respect for our Lord. This also includes shorts (unless you're wearing them under your cassock ;) ).

here we go again :popcorn:

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:14, topic:300156"]
My priest has a "no sandals" or other "beach wear" permitted in church rule, out of respect for our Lord. This also includes shorts (unless you're wearing them under your cassock ;) ).

[/quote]

So he has ushers stand by the door and they kick people out. :eek:

So I wonder if he also give dispensation to those he kicks out????

I go to Mass at a Benedictine monastery where many of the monks wear sandals. Nothing wrong with sandals. Flip-flops or immodest clothing is another issue though.

I hope if I ever get to meet my Lord, I do so in the humblest poverty. Which is why I dress simply at all times, including at Mass. Simply, but clean and neat. For Mass, no torn or faded jeans, no shorts, no collarless shirts.

If a person knows what good dress is, has the clothes, and dressing well aids that person in holiness, they would be slacking by underdressing, not a good thing for their faith.
I do not fault priest for elevating the level of commitment and awareness by enforcing a dress code on the altar.

OTOH:
If a poor person has not been to Mass for 20 years and has no understanding of dressing well and wears sandals, what's the problem? Are we going to judge a person's worthiness by what they are wearing?
How about a high school kid who has no idea what "business casual" is. (the Mass is not a business anyway?) Just come to Mass, please.

We observe a lot on these forums that the Mass is becoming more entertainment-oriented.

Perhaps policing the dress of others is a form of entertainment also.

The only thing we should be doing is setting a good example by dressing reverently, and welcoming those who look different than us.

I would wager there were a few pairs of sandals at the first Mass.

When I was a Scoutmaster for our Church Boy Scout Troop, one of our youngsters became an Eagle Scout. It's customary for all older Eagle Scouts from the troop to attend thee new Eagle's court of honor. Among the young men attending was one who was obviously out of place dressed in jeans and leather, unshaven with long, uncombed hair. We all wondered why such a person would attend an event honoring this new Eagle Scout. We finally asked our new Eagle if he knew the raggedy young man and he replied "yes, he's my brother and an undercover police officer".

Since that incident, I've not judged anyone by the clothes that they wear, rather then by what's in their heart and that's sometime harder to see.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.