Sanders raises $33M in final quarter, $73M total for 2015

Sanders raises $33M in final quarter, $73M total for 2015 politi.co/1PDq3X3

Regardless of anything I think about Sanders or any other candidate from either party (or any other), I can’t but long for the days when $73M would be a reasonable sum of money to see someone through to Election Day…

wow!

For the yr 2015, Hillary raised a lot more. Hillary 112M. Bernie 73M. Cruz reportedly in the vicinity of 45M.

chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-hillary-clinton-fundraising-20160103-story.html

bernie did well for his first run as president though.

Bernie thinks college, and many other things, should be free. Why doesn’t he just run his campaign for free? :hmmm:

Jon

Free only at the “point of access”, surely? That’s not the same thing at all.

But, yeah…you’re right lol :shrug:

Agree. Particularly since they are all individual contributions.

Yeah, what a terrible idea to tax wall street speculation and use the money to make post-high school education more accessible without crippling amounts of debt.

Just terrible. :rolleyes:

Sanders has a shot at winning Iowa

I agree. He’s much more engaging to middle class folks in my opinion as an Iowan. Hillary is just the school yard bully, backed by wall street, and undeniably corrupt.

Except of course that “Wall Street” won’t be on the paying end. The big money is with what’s left of the middle class, and that’s who will pay. Trouble is, we’re too stupid to see that the same people who are trying to put kids through school are the ones who are going to also be called on to put other peoples’ kids through school.

The total income tax paid to the general government in 2014 was $1.7 trillion. Of that, the top 20%of earners paid 84%. The implication that the wealthy do not pay enough taxes, though clearly not every worker on Wall Street is wealthy, is a continuing falsehood.

So, yes, it is a terrible idea to confiscate the earned property of one person and give it to another.
I agree with Thomas Sowell: **“I have never understood why it is “greed” to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else’s money.” **
and Walter Williams: "Three-fifths to two-thirds of the federal budget consists of taking property from one American and giving it to another. Were a private person to do the same thing, we’d call it theft. When government does it, we euphemistically call it income redistribution, but that’s exactly what thieves do – redistribute income."
Jon

You do realize this conversation is not about income tax, right? It’s a .50 cent tax on every $100 of stock trades on stock sales, and lesser amounts on transactions involving bonds, derivatives, and other financial instruments.

Explain how that hurts the middle class? You do a lot of high volume, automated stock trades? Didn’t think so.

Would it not be better for a 21-22 year old to graduate university with little to no debt, vs 50+ thousand? In the current system, they spend 10 years paying back federal loans, when that money could be going back into the economy (buying goods and services).

To say nothing of your hyperbole about “confiscating people’s money”. You’re basically positing that all taxes are theft…Good luck with education, infrastructure, national security, etc without taxes.

This country can’t run without tax money. End of story.

=jtauke;13554689]You do realize this conversation is not about income tax, right? It’s a .50 cent tax on every $100 of stock trades on stock sales, and lesser amounts on transactions involving bonds, derivatives, and other financial instruments.

Explain how that hurts the middle class? You do a lot of high volume, automated stock trades? Didn’t think so.

Tax is tax is tax. Using tax to redistribute wealth has no constitutional mandate, much less a moral one.

Would it not be better for a 21-22 year old to graduate university with little to no debt, vs 50+ thousand? In the current system, they spend 10 years paying back federal loans, when that money could be going back into the economy (buying goods and services).

I spent a lot of time paying my loans back, and now I am paying back my daughter’s. And before you comment further, I’m a public school teacher. That money is being spent by that college graduate for services, which include making that money available for the next student loan, or the next person who wants to buy a house. That money does indeed go back into the economy.

To say nothing of your hyperbole about “confiscating people’s money”. You’re basically positing that all taxes are theft…Good luck with education, infrastructure, national security, etc without taxes.

It isn’t hyperbole. Its true, when it is income tax, or property tax. But no where did I say taxes could not or should not be collected. Taxes should and must be collected, for the constitutionally enumerated powers of the general government, which do not include education at any level. Again, I’m a public school teacher, and I see first hand the damage to education federal interference is doing.

This country can’t run without tax money. End of story.

But it can run students who choose to go to college paying for it themselves, or getting grades high enough to earn scholarships. Go to community college for two years. Work part-time. Borrow money, them pay it back. Bernie isn’t suggesting a free education. He is suggesting stealing money from one person to give it to another, and he hasn’t answered how, constitutionally, this is legal. He hasn’t answered how he can require state universities, and the people who own them, to provide education for free.

Let’s be honest. The real goal is to put private universities, particularly church related ones, out of business, so that the government controls all education. It’s what progressives do, limit the free expression of opinions.
Liberating tolerance, then, would mean intolerance against movements from the Right and toleration of movements from the Left. As to the scope of this tolerance and intolerance: … it would extend to the stage of action as well as of discussion and propaganda, of deed as well as of word - Herbert Marcuse

Jon

We have been redistributing wealth since Social Security has been implemented 80 years ago and neither republicans nor democrats have done anything to stop the income redistribution.

Uhhh, what? How on earth would this put private universities out of business? I don’t think it’s said anywhere that to be eligible for such money you have to choose a public university.

Speaking of private colleges…the cost associated with many of these schools simply compounds the problem, tuition alone for one year vs nearby state alternative:

Notre Dame: $47k
University of Indiana: 10k

Georgetown: $46k
University of Maryland: 10k

DePaul: $36k
University of Illinois: 14k

Marquette: $36k
University of Wisconsin: 10k

The above private schools rack up ridiculous amounts of debt for students by averaging 3 to 4x the price, even before accounting for room, board, living expenses, etc.

Private colleges don’t do any favors for students when it comes to money.

I attended a Catholic college for undergrad and a Catholic University for grad school. Since I went there (admittedly some years ago) the construction has been absolutely staggering, with lots of fancy and decorative stuff, expensive landscaping, statuary, fountains, etc.

While the undergrad college is one of the more affordable among Catholic colleges still, the cost has increased hugely. The second one is enormously more expensive. It just got finished with a brand new downtown law school when it already had one that was maybe 30 years old or so.

Both cover a lot more ground than they did when I was there, but the enrollment isn’t much bigger.

One of the big “improvements” has been in the dorms and dining halls. Bigger rooms, more decor. Lots of variety in the dining halls.

There isn’t a lot of doubt in my mind as to why private universities are so much more expensive now than they were. Maybe students demand that and don’t mind the debt incurred in such fancy digs. But the ones currently borrowing to attend didn’t have any say in it.

Personally, I just don’t see how it can go on. I really don’t.

Yes, Sanders plan is for public colleges and universities, not private.
I went bro a private college, as did my daughter. We both got tremendous value for our money.
If a student chooses to go to one, and parents choose to support that choice, it seems that should be fine with anyone. Just pay back the loans.

Jon

With the wide use of 401k type retirement plans, nearly every worker is a stock speculator now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.