SanFrancisco gays vandalize Catholic churches after passage of Proposition 8

catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=31392

NEW YORK, N.Y. (Catholic League) - Most Holy Redeemer Catholic Church, in the heart of San Francisco’s gay Castro community, was vandalized over the weekend by opponents of Proposition 8, the California resolution passed by voters in November that rejected gay marriage. Swastikas were painted on the church and the names Ratzinger (referring to Pope Benedict XVI) and Niederauer (the San Francisco Archbishop) were scrawled besides the Nazi symbol.

Catholic League president Bill Donohue is asking Catholics nationwide to respond to this incident:

“In the wake of Proposition 8, innocent persons have been assaulted, churches have been vandalized, a white substance resembling anthrax was sent to the Knights of Columbus and to Mormon temples, supporters of traditional marriage have been branded Nazis, African Americans have been called the ‘N-word,’ houses and cars have been trashed, etc. Unfortunately, most of those in the gay community have been silent about these acts.

Contact Mayor Gavin Newsom and ask him to finally condemn gay assaults on Catholics and other people of faith: gavin.newsom@sfgov.org

I just sent him an email, I hope more of us will too. These are definitely hate crimes and should be publicly condemned and the perpetrators should be apprehended and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

While vandalism is a bad thing, and should be prosecuted, the latest belching from Bill Donohue must be taken in stride. He wants to link items which are geographically and chronologically unconnected. I realize he has to justify his job, and relies upon donations to keep his job, but really…

Bill is pretty verbose thank God.Does he embarass you?Why?He gets attention unlike most of the shrinking violet Catholics in North America.

Well, this is the email I got back a little while ago from the Mayor’s office after I emailed them.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Monday, January 5, 2009
415-554-6131

***STATEMENT***

MAYOR GAVIN NEWSOM STATEMENT ON VANDALISM AT MOST HOLY REDEEMER CATHOLIC
CHURCH

We strongly condemn the vandalism of the Most Holy Redeemer Catholic
Church. It was a cowardly and criminal act. San Francisco is a city that
embraces people of all faiths. To intimidate a community and threaten a
place of worship with intolerance is contrary to everything the City of St.
Francis represents.

David Carrington Miree
Deputy Director
Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services (MONS)
Room 160
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Pl.
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 554-6537-DIRECT
(415) 554-7111
(415) 554-6474-Fax

Let’s see if they apprehend the perpetrator(s) and prosecute.

He doesn’t embarrass me. But he does embarrass himself. He gives Catholics a bad name by often being wildly off-target.

I hope they do both.

I wonder if they’ve issued this condemnation as a result of the requests that the Catholic League made for Catholics to email and complain-I know I did.I’ve never heard of this govermental body EVER issuing a statement in favour of the Catholic Church.

Has anybody seen the irony of the parish the vandals targeted?

Does that parish ring any bells?

And Most Holy Redeemer is a pro-Sodomite parish.

And how exactly did the writer know that the vandals were Prop 8 opponents and/or gay? Did God tell him or perhaps the writer has, in a manner of speaking, a more intimate relationship with the vandals.

I was wondering the same. It seems some people just look for any incidents like this, even without proper evidence, to serve as an excuse and justification to incite other people to join them in their defamation of what they perceive to be “the gays”.

In any case, it’s deplorable that some people do this sort of thing.

It has been reported on several occasions that there are pro-homosexual groups like Bash Back" who have stated that they have a list of individuals and groups who supported Proposition 8 and that they have and will continue to attack them for doing so. If in doubt, go to the Bash Back web site where they proudly talk about their actions.

Bash Back is an anarchist organization. Anarchists believe violence is not only acceptable, but something to be promoted.

Interesting email. At the first Walk for Life West Coast, pro-life marchers were expressly told that we were not welcome in the city, our point of view was not welcome, and the mayor and city supervisors passed a resolution saying as much:
ignatiusinsight.com/features2005/vschmalz_csfblasts_jan05.asp

An anti-march rally was held at the same time as our pre-walk rally, and many city supervisors, etc., were present and speaking at the anti-rally, which really hightened the tension among the choice crowd protesting our presence.

Just seems like an empty and meaningless proclamation to me…:shrug:

I know, it seemed like an an automatic response. Not living in SanFrancisco, I wonder if it was made public in both the print media, TV and internet??? You work the front lines. God bless you for your efforts.

We moved from San Francisco a while ago, so I’m not sure if it was released also to the media but it seems like the kind of PC response that the MSM loves.

I don’t do near enough pro-life work as I would like, but it was so wonderful to be a part of that first Walk for Life! Thanks.

And there’s the lesson learned. If someone capitulates to the culture of death, the culture of death will not treat them nicely.

They’ll be the first ones the Culture of Death will put up against the wall."Useful fools"I believe the communists called them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.