Santisimo? Ah, Santisimo!

I learned a new Spanish word last night.

I was sacristan for evening Mass and before anyone arrived, a couple walked in, seeming to be lost. It turns out they were Spanish and didn’t speak English. I don’t speak spanish. They kept asking, “Santisimo?” and pointing to the altar. I had no clue. :shrug:

I guess they were waiting to see if someone who speaks Spanish would show up, and the lady was thumbing through a bulletin. She exclaimed, “Ah! Santisimo!” and showed me an announcement in the bulletin about adoration, pointing to the picture of the monstrance.

I said, “Oh, Santisimo! Adoration!!!” and walked them to our adoration chapel. :slight_smile:

Stupid post. I know. :rolleyes: But now I know about eleven words in Spanish, and one of them is Santisimo!

-Tim-

Hay no problema, mi caro amigo. Todo esta muy bien. De acuerdo?:smiley:

¡Bueno!

I knew this would happen. Now they’re messing with me. :smiley:

-Tim-

¡sí!

:d

Santisimo means “most holy” or “most blessed”

“Santisimo sacramento” means “blessed sacrament”

Adoration is “adoracion” with an accent on the last “o”

I’ve been attending a Ruthinian Church during my time in Texas. Now that I’ve come home, the closest I’ve been able to find seems to be the Ukranian Catholic Church. Going from mostly English with a little Greek to services in a great deal of Ukranian, a little Greek and some English is a bit of a culture shock.

Not stupid at all Tim…I wish I was better with languages…my wife is bi-lingual, as more me, I’m bi-illiterate! :smiley:

The problem I have with Spanish-speaking people is how fast they speak, words come out like bullets from a machine-gun. By the time' I figured out half of what the 1st sentence meant, they're on to their 5th sentence! I have the same problem with English to a certain degree, I miss one word here and there and sometimes lose important chunks of info, the Internet and written English is awesome for someone like me. But I'm fascinated with languages, words that have the same roots, I just wish I was more gifted aurally and verbally. For instance "santi" is "saint", "isimo" is a superlative (bell-isimo, belli-isima, etc.), literally "most saint", "most holy" as MaryGail has pointed out.

So why would they not have said, “adoracion” as MaryGail stated?

Or, why would they have, as it might seem to one uneducated like me, substitued “santisimo” for “adoracion”?

I realize that no one can read minds, but do you think it is a cultural thing - maybe the way adoration is referred to in Honduras vs Spain vs Mexico vs anywhere else in the world?

Maybe it’s time to bite the bullet and learn a little task oriented spanish.

Father John will be here at 6:30.
Spanish Mass is at 3:00 PM.
I’m sorry, I’m not a priest.
Are you here for a baptism?
Deacon Miguel speaks Spanish. I have his phone number.

That sort of thing.

Donde esta McDonalds? That’s about all I know.

-Tim-

LOL! :smiley: It is the Blessed Sacrament. I am bilingual by the way…:thumbsup:

:stuck_out_tongue: Yes…people tell me the same thing when I speak English. I am a fast talker by nature.

Pronounced DON-day ess-TAH MA-don-na.

:smiley:

One nice thing about Spanish. Vowels don’t have much leeway in pronunciation:

A - AH
E - EH
I - EE
O - OH
U - OO

(This is according to “Daily Spanish for Dummies” I have on my Kindle.)

Morphed from the Latin.

Maybe that’s why they call it a ROMANce language. :slight_smile:

¡El burro sabe más que tú! :smiley:

In my neck of the woods, many McD’s employ primarily Spanish-speaking folks (of course, my barrio is heavily Spanish-speaking anyway). When said employees say McDonalds, and they say it quite quickly, it sounds like “Madonna’s”. Hence my light-hearted post. Maybe it’s a locals-only thing? :stuck_out_tongue:

Fortescue et al. refer to te Blessed Sacrament by its Latin form* Sanctissimum*. This is the origin of the word.

I don’t know Spanish enough to know why it’s “santisimo” instead of “adoracìon”, perhaps “santisimo” refers to the monstrance, the Host, I’m sure if you had said “adoracìon” they would’ve nodded yes.

Father John will be here at 6:30. Padre Juan(:D) va a estar aquì a las seis y media.

Spanish Mass is at 3:00 PM El mass??? espanol es a las tres (not sure about this one)

I’m sorry, I’m not a priest. Lo siento, (pero) no soy un ??? (pero=but)

Are you here for a baptism? Esta (polite form talking to one person), estas (more casual form talking to one person) aquì por/para (help?) un bautismo?

Deacon Miguel speaks Spanish. I have his phone number. Deacon (?) Miguel habla espanol. Tengo su numero de telefono.

Oh man… I got this now… Check this out…

***La adoracion es en la capilla. Ir ala gruta, aunque a la puerta bajo el toldo. El codigo para entrar es de 1 y luego 5 y luego 3.

El Padre Manuel tiene bronquitis. Por favor oren por el. No habra ninguna confesion espanola en la actualidad. Usted puede ir a San Jose, s en Marietta si lo desea. Que tienen la confession de espanol en tres.

A mi me gusta el mural de la Virgen de Guadalupe con aerografo sobre el capo de ustedes camion. Cuanto te ha costado? :D***

Google translate! :thumbsup:

I just put the app on my phone. It even speaks the words. I wish I had this last night.

How do you guys get the upside down question marks and other spanish puncutation marks. Do you change your keyboard settings on your PC?

-Tim-

¡ ¿uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɔuǝʇuǝs ǝןoɥʍ ǝɥʇ ʇnoqɐ ʍoɥ

Copy and paste works for me. :slight_smile:

I’ve never actually studied Spanish but know French and I find Spanish strangely easy to pick up, especially while traveling in a Spanish-speaking country.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.