Santorum, Huckabee to ‘March for Marriage’ this week in D.C

washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/16/santorum-huckabee-march-marriage-dc/

A couple potential 2016 GOP presidential contenders plan to show their support for traditional marriage and opposition to same-sex marriage by taking part in a march this week in Washington.

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, the runner-up in the 2012 nomination race, and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who ran for president in 2008, are among the featured speakers Thursday at the National Organization for Marriage’s second annual “March for Marriage,” which planners hope with draw thousands.

“The best and surest way to safeguard the basic rights of free exercise and free expression for pro-marriage individuals and communities, especially individuals and communities of faith, is to rally the American people behind the cause and give them the courage and support they need to stand up and speak out on its behalf,” the National Organization for Marriage said in a news release.

Read more: washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/16/santorum-huckabee-march-marriage-dc/#ixzz34qHPJ11C
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

While I’m greatful for the news about the March for Marriage. And for Mr. Satorum’s and Mr. Huckabee’s standing up for something I believe in. It is hard to endure the barnacles with which such “NEWS stories” feel compelled to attach to it … to tell us poor unenlightened readers how to think and feel about the news (in a PC way).

Maybe it was the LARGE picture of the same sex marriage march (not the story) with large signs invoking the words “Equality” and “Love” that is attached to the story.

Or the driving need to attach the word “strident” to Santorum and Huckabee (which in addition to being not-so-subtle editorializing within a news story … is also a false witness
in my opinion). Why not the words “committed advocates” or “strong advocates”?

Mr. Santorum and Mr. Huckabee have left the door open to taking another crack at the presidency. They are both ***strident ***advocates for marriage being between one man and one woman, and enjoyed strong support from evangelical or born-again Christians in respective presidential bids.

Read more: washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/16/santorum-huckabee-march-marriage-dc/#ixzz34qGrMf4u
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

dictionary.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0SO8wfwaZ9T9yEA8r9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0aG1zbG5oBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDI4M18x?p=strident&.sep=

strident
Houghton Mifflin
adj.adjective

Loud, harsh, grating, or shrill; discordant.

I did enjoy the unintentional comedy of the following paragraph, which is as self-contradictory as it is disingenuous.

An ABC News/Washington Post poll released this week showed that 56 percent of adults nationwide support allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally. The poll, though, also found that 37 percent of Republicans support same-sex marriage, compared to 67 percent of Democrats and 58 percent of Republicans.

I don’t know whether its ABC, The Washington Post, The Washington Times or which combination is responsible for hilarious non-sequitur above - but it reads like one of those funny Yogi Berra malaprops of yesteryear. Like " … 90 percent of baseball is pitching … the other HALF is defense and hitting …" or “Nobody goes THERE anymore … it’s too crowded!”

The many little additives to this story seem to be aimed at marginalizing Huckabee, Santorum in my opinion.

And possibly San Francisco Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone or any other public figure who will also be attending the event - although usually observant Catholic clergy’s principled stands < (MY bit of editorializing here) are contrasted with “Catholic Opinion Polls” that show how out of touch they are with “the people” :nope:)

At least the article ended with the straight news (pardon the pun) that

The “March for Marriage” will begin with a rally in front of the Capitol and end at the Supreme Court.

This was posted before I edited it and made commentary. The other entry is more what I intended. Please eliminate THIS thread if the duplication is a problem.

And respond to the “other one” meanwhile. :slight_smile:

CaptFun :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.