"Sarah Sanders refuses to say Press isn't Enemy of the People"

Acosta said. “I think it would be a good thing if you were to state right here at this briefing that the press, the people who are gathered in this room right now, doing their jobs every day, asking questions of officials like the ones you brought forward earlier are not the enemy of the people. I think we deserve that.”

But Sanders did not do so."

Jim Acosta, chief reporter and instigator at CNN, tried to badger Sarah Sanders into saying the press is not the enemy of the people. She refused and went on to say this:

“The media has attacked me repeatedly… When I was hosted by the correspondence association you brought up a comedian to attack me. As far as I know I’m the first press secretary in the history of the United States that’s required Secret Service protection,” she continued. “The media continues to ratchet up the verbal assault against the president and everyone in this administration and certainly we have a role to play but the media has to role to play for the discourse in this country as well.”

Good for her! Why should she allow him to goad her into saying something she doesn’t believe (and for good reason!). He repeatedly cut into her response and tried to talk over her even though she allowed him to have his say and ask his question. Some people accuse Trump of lack of protocol, but this is a prime example of how rude and disrespectful the left can be toward people they don’t agree with.

She’s as right as she can be, and my hat’s off to her.

Acosta demonstrated a serious problem with the media. They don’t report the news, they try to make it. They think they are the story.

Not liking what the press says about you is as American as apple pir.
Calling the press “the enemy of the people” is the opposite.

I think in many cases they do try to sell their product. But they still serve a valuable purpose when they get it right, which is most of the time. The administration, however, is also about selling its own alternate narrative which often is inaccurate. Today I hear they warned about Russia meddling in our democratic process in contrast to Trump doubting it. So which " facts" should we believe?

Accosta injects HIMSELF into yet another “news story”.

Did anyone see how Acosta was treated by the attendees at the Trump rally?

Yep. Some at other news organizations are in a TIZZY because Mr. Trump is our President and they can’t handle it. He is doing good for this country and it just ticks them off. They want their way and any other way is Unacceptable to them.

There’s a difference between people yelling “CNN sucks” in the background at Acosta and having an appointed speaker (Michelle Wolf) at the White House corespondents dinner making nasty personal remarks about Sarah Sanders’ looks. She also had to have Secret Service protection which has never been necessary for a presidential spokesperson.

I wanted to give her a hug during the press conference when she was talking about all the harassment she’s put up with and couldn’t believe Acosta was using his bully tactics again right after that!

The press us not the enemy of the people. That is just Trump and his followers attacking the people that are calling them out on their constant lies.

The refusal of a Press Secretaty to acknowledge the critical role of a free press is just another example of how dangerous this administration is

The press shouldn’t show up anymore. And they shouldn’t cover his rallies.

Sarah Sanders’ excuse does not prove her point. She cited press attacks on her and the President as evidence that the press is the enemy of the people. But the questions the press is asking are the ones the people want to have asked. The press is not the enemy of the people. My hat is off to the hard-working journalists who continue to behave professionally in an environment made toxic by this administration.

The comedienne said many nasty things, but nothing nasty about Sanders’s looks.

I know…they’re literally worse the Hitler.

That’s because that’s not what she thinks or what Donald Trump says… FAKE NEWS is the enemy of the people. Lying to the people is the enemy of the people. Reporting half truths and twisting the headlines is the enemy of the people… not journalists–unless that’s the way they roll!!!

Mr. Trump sent his people out there to speak and explain about it. How about believing them and him?

A lot of people think, and have thought for a long time that it’s these “hard working” journalists that have made the environment “toxic” and are glad to finally see a President calling them out on it. I would note that no reporters have been forced out of restaurants or had their baseball practices shot up, or had their children’s lives threatened by Trump supporters.

and yet the press is still free, they are sitting there in the press room asking questions and reporting what they want to report. some just dont like the answers they are getting, they dont like any pushback on what they choose to report as news.

Jim Acosta gets his feeilings hurt when people chant at him yet continues to show up ralleys and the like. A fox news reporter who was going to report live infront of lthe SCOTUS when Trump announced his pick canceled her plans to do so because she was literally concerned for her safety. you tell me which sides supporters seems to be the real issue

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.