Satan and Hell.

The souls in hell have to put up with the company of satan, how can he go in and out of heel and earth when he chooses?

[quote="Nelka, post:1, topic:210834"]
The souls in hell have to put up with the company of satan, how can he go in and out of heel and earth when he chooses?

[/quote]

We don't know, but he can.

I'm not a Calvinist, but I suspect that Calvin may have been on the right track when he called Satan the "minister of God's wrath". If God is love, He wouldn't get any joy out of eternally punishing people. But Satan would.

Secondly I asked my old pastor in some disgust, "What the hell did He (God) make the devil for?"

He thought about it, shrugged, and said, "Oh, I suppose he's got a job to do."

As he said that I seemed to get this sense he was correct. It would appear that even the devil has a role in God's economy. In keeping with his "ministerial role", he probably has powers unique to himself.

On the other hand, he himself will be condemned at the end of time, and cast into the Lake of Fire. There will be no escape from that, either for himself or any other being.

The bible mentions that he was cast out of heaven.

So we know the devil is not there.

But the bible does not specify that the devil is in hell now. Only that he will be (future tense).

It could very well be the intervening time between casting out of heaven and being tossed into the lake of fire that the devil seems to be enjoying such freedom.

Well, at this time Satan is not in hell. That is a popular belief due to holliwood and whatever else. But it is not a teaching of the Church. Jesus referred to Satan as the "Prince of this World". Satan and his minions are not in hell as of yet but as the book of Revelation saids that on the Day of Judgement:

Rev 20: [9] And there came down fire from God out of heaven, and devoured them; and the devil, who seduced them, was cast into the pool of fire and brimstone, where both the beast [10] And the false prophet shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

So no he doesn't come in and out of hell. No he is not the ruler of hell, but he will be its chief prisoner when the Day of Judgement comes. Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the posts but Hollywood is the last thing I would listen to.

St. Faustina

VISIONS OF HELL

" Today, I was led by an Angel to the chasms of hell. It is a place of great torture; how awesomely large and extensive it is! The kinds of tortures I saw: the first torture that constitutes hell is the loss of God; the second is perpetual remorse of conscience; the third is that one’s condition will never change; the fourth is the fire that will penetrate the soul without destroying it, a terrible suffering, since it is a purely spiritual fire, lit by God’s anger; the fifth torture is conditional darkness and a terrible suffocating smell, and despite the darkness, the devils and the souls of the damned see each other and all the evil, both of others and their own; the sixth torture is the constant company of satan, the seventh torture is horrible despair, hatred of God, vile words, curses and blasphemies. These are the tortures suffered by all the damned together, but that is not the end of the sufferings. There are special tortures destined for particular souls. These are the torments of the senses. Each soul undergoes terrible and indescribable sufferings, related to the manner in which it has sinned. There are caverns and pits of torture where one form of agony differs from another. I would have died at the very sight of these tortures if the omnipotence of God had not supported me. Let the sinner know that he will be tortured throughout all eternity, in those senses which he made use of to sin. I am writing this at the command of God, so that no soul may find an excuse by saying there is no hell, or that nobody has ever been there, and so no one can say what it is like. I, sister Faustina, by the order of God, have visited the abysses of hell so that I might tell souls about it and testify to its existence. I cannot speak about it now; but I have received a command from God to leave it in writing. The devils were full of hatred for me, but they had to obey me at the command of God. What I have written is but a pale shadow of the things I saw. But I noticed one thing: that most of the souls there are those who disbelieved that there is a hell. When I came to, I could hardly recover from the fright. How terribly souls suffer there! Consequently, I pray even more fervently for the conversion of sinners. I incessantly plead God’s mercy upon them. O my Jesus, I would rather be in agony until the end of the world, amidst the greatest sufferings, then offend You by the least sin. (Diary 741).

Somewhere I never want to see.

Keep in mind that St. Faustina's writings are not official teachings of the Church, one may choose to believe her revelation or not. I, for one, do accept them. I also acknowledge that what she originally wrote in Polish was interpreted by others and interpretations can lead to slight changes in meaning. It is possible that her intent was to say that the damned are constantly in the presence of the devil or a devil...not the one fallen angel we call Satan.

The implication that Satan is confined to hell does contradict scripture and the teaching of the Church. Scripture says that the devil prowls throughout the world like a roaring lion seeking the to devour souls. The Church affirms that Satan may act in the world opposing God. However, there may be a way in which St.. Faustina's statement may be literally true and that is if Satan, can be in two places at once. Nothing in scripture or church teaching addresses the issue of bi-location of angels or demons as far as I know. But, being angels or demons means that they are pure spirits and are not bound by the same physical laws we are. Just a thought...

[quote="Prayer_Warrior, post:6, topic:210834"]
Keep in mind that St. Faustina's writings are not official teachings of the Church, one may choose to believe her revelation or not. I, for one, do accept them. I also acknowledge that what she originally wrote in Polish was interpreted by others and interpretations can lead to slight changes in meaning. It is possible that her intent was to say that the damned are constantly in the presence of the devil or a devil...not the one fallen angel we call Satan.

The implication that Satan is confined to hell does contradict scripture and the teaching of the Church. Scripture says that the devil prowls throughout the world like a roaring lion seeking the to devour souls. The Church affirms that Satan may act in the world opposing God. However, there may be a way in which St.. Faustina's statement may be literally true and that is if Satan, can be in two places at once. Nothing in scripture or church teaching addresses the issue of bi-location of angels or demons as far as I know. But, being angels or demons means that they are pure spirits and are not bound by the same physical laws we are. Just a thought...

[/quote]

Hell for the devil is home. However he clearly does go "roaming around the world". Clearly demons get out of hell otherwise they wouldn't be able to harass and sometimes possess people.

But when demons are driven out, they invariably scream. A pastor I knew who had a deliverance ministry said to me, "You should them carry on! They don't want to go!"

Why do they scream? Because they're going back to hell. Even they hate it.

Sound like a good place to stay away from.

My wife is Polish and speaks English like she was English, the interpretations are correct, do not worry about this.

Remember that Pope John Paul II beatified and cannonised her.

I trust wholehartedly in the Divine Mercy of Jesus.

:slight_smile:

Satan and his angels are punished in Hell for their rebellion right now, but God allows them limited access to Earth. God even summoned Satan to Heaven to test Job.

[quote="Nelka, post:9, topic:210834"]
My wife is Polish and speaks English like she was English, the interpretations are correct, do not worry about this.

Remember that Pope John Paul II beatified and cannonised her.

I trust wholehartedly in the Divine Mercy of Jesus.

:)

[/quote]

The Divine Mercy is one of my devotions but Catholics are free to believe or not believe any private revelations approved by the Church.
Also canonisation has nothing to do with or conditional upon writings/private revelations.

[quote="Nelka, post:1, topic:210834"]

[/quote]

Here is a related thread for you
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=743568

[quote="thistle, post:11, topic:210834"]
The Divine Mercy is one of my devotions but Catholics are free to believe or not believe any private revelations approved by the Church.
Also canonisation has nothing to do with or conditional upon writings/private revelations.

[/quote]

But wasn't the universal proclamation of the Second Sunday of Easter as the Feast of Divine Mercy something that made the Divine Mercy message more obligatory than optional?

[quote="Bob_Crowley, post:8, topic:210834"]
Hell for the devil is home. However he clearly does go "roaming around the world". Clearly demons get out of hell otherwise they wouldn't be able to harass and sometimes possess people.

But when demons are driven out, they invariably scream. A pastor I knew who had a deliverance ministry said to me, "You should them carry on! They don't want to go!"

Why do they scream? Because they're going back to hell. Even they hate it.

Sound like a good place to stay away from.

[/quote]

The book The Rite recounts an exorcist saying that demons actually are in more pain during an exorcism than they would be in hell to the point where they would rather be in hell.

That implies that you're right, they get to go around and roam the world.

Funny because I don't think human souls can do that, yet demonic spirits can. We have lots to learn about why that is.

[quote="PazzoGrande, post:13, topic:210834"]
But wasn't the universal proclamation of the Second Sunday of Easter as the Feast of Divine Mercy something that made the Divine Mercy message more obligatory than optional?

[/quote]

No, that is not correct.
Not a single private revelation is a required belief. Catholics are free to believe or not believe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.