Satan demands something from God

Luke 22:31-32

**How is it possible for Satan to demand something from God? he has no power over God and I presume he has no rights? **Is it possibly this situation or something else:

God the Father loves him so he listens to him patiently because he is a creature with intelligence?

If this were not true, why would Jesus pray that Peter’s faith would not fail unless Satan’s demand was going to have a real effect in this world?

What do you think? Please attempt to support your answer.

Well Jesus choose Judas, he ended up betraying Him, Peter denied Him, there but for the grace of God go I… God allows satan in his pride to tempt him just like in the desert.

The Saint Michael prayer was inspired from the visions of Pope Leo xiii God granted satan 100 years to destroy the Church, satan failed… why God allowed satan to do this is beyond me, God loved Lucifer, who became arrogant, therefore ejected from Heaven !

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 31. Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat. In these words is expressed both what Satan desired, and what God permitted. Satan desired leave to tempt them, that he might make them fall from their faith in Christ. Almighty God permitted this temptation, this trial, to convince them how weak they were of themselves: he permitted their frailty to be partly overcome, yet so that rising again by his grace, they should be cleansed and purified as wheat when it is sifted: and that shortly after, being strengthened and confirmed by the coming of the Holy Ghost, they might become new men, enabled to stand firm against all the attacks of their greatest adversaries. (Witham)

Ver. 32. That thy faith fail not. The faith of Peter, established by the coming of the Holy Ghost, hath never failed, nor can fail, being built upon a rock, which is Christ himself, and being guided by the spirit of truth, as Christ promised. (John xv. 26. and xvi. 13.) — And thou being once converted, confirm thy brethren, even all the other apostles and bishops, over whom I have made and constituted thee and thy successors the chief head, that such a head being appointed by divine authority, all occasions of schisms and divisions might cease, says St. Jerome. (Witham) — Admire the superabundance of the divine patience. That the disciple might not lose courage, he promised him pardon before he has committed the crime, and restores him again to his apostolic dignity, saying, confirm thy brethren. (St. Cyril)

And if the Devil doesn’t like it he can sit on a tack ouch! sit on a tack

Look at it this way.

Christians can be like Satan sometimes with our pride and demanding requests from God.’

Lord let it shine
Lord let it rain
Lord make me thin
Lord why did you make my child sick
Lord get me that car
Lord let me win the lottery
Gimme, gimme, gimme

God loves us so much, he listens patiently and then says ‘yes’ or ‘no’. We must be content with either answer.

We too have no power over God or rights over him.

Hi atassina

If we look at the book of Job (and Zechariah 3:1) it seems that Satan is the accuser, or the adversary, who is working under God’s sovereignty. It seems even Satan has a purpose in God’s sagacious plan. Likewise, I would say that the testing of Jesus in the desert had a purpose in God’s plan of redemption (Jimmy Akin has a nice little article on that here).

God bless +

Michael

Good point, it’s like a court room scene, the defence & the accuser, satan being the accuser…God allows satan his day in court…& exposes him as the liar that he is…

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.