Satan's hand in the lie of Mary worship

I was listening to Catholic Answers Live today and the topic of Mary worship came up. The guest on the show made such a good point and I’d like to share it.

Those of us who understand true devotion to Mary understand that it ONLY brings us closer to Christ. Satan knows this and will do ANYTHING to keep people from growing closer to Christ, even spreading lies about devotion to Christ’s mother. If he can convince people that devotion to Mary actually leads them AWAY from Christ he can effectively keep them from growing closer TO Christ.

That thought made me feel so sad for our Protestant brothers and sisters because they are so convinced that they know what Marian devotion is all about and that it’s a bad thing. They have absolutely no idea that they fell for the lie of the Evil One. Rather, he has successfully convinced them that WE are the ones who have fallen for the lie, even as we grow ever closer to Christ as we look at His face through the eyes of his mother.

Don’t ever get into an argument with anyone about Mary worship. Just pray for them!!

In Christ,
Nancy :slight_smile:

Nancy,

Thank you for sharing that with us. Very thought provoking.

VC

YOu mean the devil tells our Protestant brothers and sisters that Catholics “worship” Mary, therefore, Protestants and others think that we “worship” her and that turns them off to have a devotion towards Mary? That’s how I’m getting it.

[quote=Paris Blues]YOu mean the devil tells our Protestant brothers and sisters that Catholics “worship” Mary, therefore, Protestants and others think that we “worship” her and that turns them off to have a devotion towards Mary? That’s how I’m getting it.
[/quote]

Yep.

God certainly isn’t telling anyone that Catholics worship Mary. There’s no other place that lie could come from.

In Christ,

I never thought of it that way, but that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

[quote=Catholic4aReasn]I . If he can convince people that devotion to Mary actually leads them AWAY from Christ he can effectively keep them from growing closer TO Christ.

Don’t ever get into an argument with anyone about Mary worship. Just pray for them!!

In Christ,
[/quote]

I think you have stated the case succinctly and correctly.

I will go a little further and suggest the possibility that Satan inspires much anti-Catholic preaching, because it disrupts the unity Christ pleaded for on the night before He died.

[quote=Paris Blues]YOu mean the devil tells our Protestant brothers and sisters that Catholics “worship” Mary, therefore, Protestants and others think that we “worship” her and that turns them off to have a devotion towards Mary? That’s how I’m getting it.
[/quote]

**You have to understand that the english word “worship” has a much more broader definition than what you perceive it to be. Worship due only to God is different from worship to Mary. However, since we live in a society that tends to use the word “worship” as worship due only to a god, then we should try to refrain from using it to describe Marian devotion. **

For more information visit: newadvent.org/cathen/15710a.htm

“The word worship (Saxon weorthscipe, “honour”; from worth, meaning “value”, “dignity”, “price”, and the termination, ship; Lat. cultus) in its most general sense is homage paid to a person or a thing.”-Catholic Encyclopedia

and

http://www.catholic.com/library/Saint_Worship.asp

“The word ‘worship’ has undergone a change in meaning in English. It comes from the Old English weorthscipe, which means the condition of being worthy of honor, respect, or dignity. To worship in the older, larger sense is to ascribe honor, worth, or excellence to someone, whether a sage, a magistrate, or God.”-Saint Worship? ; Catholic Answers

[quote=Roman_Army]**You have to understand that the english word “worship” has a much more broader definition than what you perceive it to be. Worship due only to God is different from worship to Mary. However, since we live in a society that tends to use the word “worship” as worship due only to a god, then we should try to refrain from using it to describe Marian devotion. **

For more information visit: newadvent.org/cathen/15710a.htm

“The word worship (Saxon weorthscipe, “honour”; from worth, meaning “value”, “dignity”, “price”, and the termination, ship; Lat. cultus) in its most general sense is homage paid to a person or a thing.”-Catholic Encyclopedia

and

http://www.catholic.com/library/Saint_Worship.asp

“The word ‘worship’ has undergone a change in meaning in English. It comes from the Old English weorthscipe, which means the condition of being worthy of honor, respect, or dignity. To worship in the older, larger sense is to ascribe honor, worth, or excellence to someone, whether a sage, a magistrate, or God.”-Saint Worship? ; Catholic Answers
[/quote]

You’re right. I think it behooves all Christians to learn the “language” of other Christians so we don’t inadvertantly misunderstand what they are talking about. The term “worship” is a good example. So is are the terms “pray” and “faith”.

In Christ,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.