Satire which includes blasphemous or other anti-traditional-religion humor

I would be curious to hear what others have to say about humor in books and movies that “sends up” religion or God. I’m American and notice this in British humor which isn’t always to my taste. I’ve never seen a Monty Python movie - my friends in high school 30 years ago were “rotfl” over them. :shrug:

One of my friends is a fan of Terry Pratchett, and we watched the movie “Hogfather” at Christmas. I thought the first part dragged, and the second part was mildly amusing but I didn’t like the statement toward the end about people making up gods. The movie overall seemed rather macabre for Christmas, although in one way I saw a parallel to the Grinch Stole Christmas. :ehh:

I like Harry Potter and Twilight and some things like that so it’s not fantasy or even magic that bugs me, and I like satire by someone like, say, C.S. Lewis. I’m able to sort out what I do like in the humor from what I don’t, but I’m curious as to others’ take on dark humor and satire that has to do with religion. Some of it messes with me. :hypno:

To sum up - I never mind a satire against phony religious people, if it seems to convey the message that true religion is good and desirable. But some satires seem to take the view that religion is foolish, leads to wars, and other jaded views. Am I making sense?:confused:

Speaking personally I don’t watch stuff that I find disturbing, distasteful or offensive. However, I don’t mind a lot of the humour around religion and some of it is funny.

It is another area in life where you have to make a personal judgement. If you don’t like it or it is unhealthy then don’t watch it.

I would also encourage you to make your opinion known either via campaigning groups or directly to the programme makers or censors. That’s what I do when it really matters to me.

God bless

Actually, I think there’s a fine line between what I call the anti-fanatical humor and just plain anti-theistic humor. One of our national heroes, Marcelo H. del Pilar, wrote a very anti-clerical pamphlet called Dasalan at Tuksuhan which parodied various prayers that mocked and criticized the corrupt Spanish clergy during his time. Personally, I was actually quite fond of it, particularly the one titled Amain Namin (a parody of Ama Namin, the Tagalog version of Our Father). Now I wouldn’t be surprised the slightest if a grand deal of the traditional religious here would find this most offensive and sacrilegious. However, should they realize just how far gone the clergy were during Spain’s tyranny of the Philippines, they’d be hard pressed to acknowledge how much justice the parody does to those wolves in priestly clothing that infested the ranks of the religious back then. They will also notice that there’s hardly any of the rhetoric in the parodies that reflect the current disease that is New Atheism which attacks God directly and shows utter contempt for the more sacred things. It is not satisfied with attacking the fallible human side of religion, oh no. New Atheists see God Himself as the enemy whereas the anti-fanatics seek only to remedy the ills of His fan club.

Another example would be myself. I’ve made sarcastic humor against redneck fundamentalists, homophobic zealots, and even the superstitious, hellfire preaching lot here who call themselves “Traditionalist Catholics”. Never in my jokes or comedy scenarios, however, do I cross the line and start making crude commentaries the likes of YouTube lards such as TheAmazingAtheist pride themselves of spewing.

I want to post this so I can come back to this thread later.

The other day I was channel surfing and on the Comedy Channel there was a stand-up comedian who for one hour would state in seriousness some actual truth of Catholic worship and then would sort of say, “but what about … ?”.

And it was interesting, because he wasn’t really mocking the Church.

He was “challenging” the audience.

He said he is Catholic. He goes to Mass.

Can’t remember his name.

The audience really seemed to understand what he was saying and they seemed to agree with him when he stated his initial premises.

Very interesting.

Will have to look him up.

What Monty Python movies have y'all seen and what do you make of that kind of humor? :confused:

"Life of Brian" in particular I recall being offended by the very premise of. And it's probably mild compared to what's out there today, no?

I love Monty Python, any of their movies. I never found their humor blasphemous, not at all. I took it more as them poking fun at the phony religious people, like you said in your OP. I also love Eddie Izzard. I just never took either his humor or Monty Python’s as being particularly dark, but just shining a light on how religion can some times take on a ridiculous nature with some people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.