Saturday vigil mass

What are your thoughts about the Saturday vigil mass?
I occasionally go to the vigil mass, but I would would much rather prefer if parishes dropped the vigil Mass and instead added an extra afternoon or evening Mass on sunday.

[quote=Anima Christi]What are your thoughts about the Saturday vigil mass?
I occasionally go to the vigil mass, but I would would much rather prefer if parishes dropped the vigil Mass and instead added an extra afternoon or evening Mass on sunday.
[/quote]

Some people have to work on Sunday. In areas where priests are somewhat limited esp., it’s important to make provision for the weekly obligation.

[quote=Anima Christi]I would would much rather prefer if parishes dropped the vigil Mass
[/quote]

Why?

Let me say up front: I believe and affirm that vigil Masses are perfectly legitimate. And they do serve a to fill a wonderful need – To provide the opportunity to fulfill the Sunday Obligation for those who may be prevented from doing so on the following day.

But I also admit that I wish they were not so “regular” – I know for a fact that not every attendant at my own parish’s very crowded vigil Mass would be otherwise prevented from worship on the following day. Many people, I am sure, attend as a scheduling convenience – Go to Mass, go out to dinner/other entertainment, sleep in on Sunday and don’t let God get in the way*.

So, vigils are legitimate, but the regularity of attendance just rubs me the wrong way. Call it a gut feeling.

In my area, there are a handful of nearby parishes which offer a Sunday evening Mass (which is also a blessing at times). I kind of wish vigils were offered by a only handful too, for those who need them, but not at every single parish.

(* While I try to not actively judge others, I know I myself held such an attitude earlier in my life )

:twocents:
tee

[quote=tee_eff_em]Let me say up front: I believe and affirm that vigil Masses are perfectly legitimate. And they do serve a to fill a wonderful need – To provide the opportunity to fulfill the Sunday Obligation for those who may be prevented from doing so on the following day.

But I also admit that I wish they were not so “regular” – I know for a fact that not every attendant at my own parish’s very crowded vigil Mass would be otherwise prevented from worship on the following day. Many people, I am sure, attend as a scheduling convenience – Go to Mass, go out to dinner/other entertainment, sleep in on Sunday and don’t let God get in the way*.

So, vigils are legitimate, but the regularity of attendance just rubs me the wrong way. Call it a gut feeling.
[/quote]

Your gut is giving you a feeling that, quite frankly, you have no business having.

Since when is it up to ANYONE to question anyone’s motive for attending mass on Saturday? It is offered as a fully valid way to satisfy the Sunday obligation, with absolutely no strings attached. Your assertion that one ought to attend only on Sunday unless truly prevented from doing so, seems to have no basis.

[quote=Anima Christi]What are your thoughts about the Saturday vigil mass?
[/quote]

The only Vigil Mass the Church offers is the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday evening. The Mass offered on Saturday evening to fulfill the Sunday obligation is the Anticipated Mass.

I like the Anticipated Mass, as it gives people who work on Sundays, such as doctors, nurses and police officers, a chance to go to Sunday Mass. It makes the Church stronger when more people have the opportunity to participate in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and receive our Lord in Holy Communion.

Anyone who prays the Divine Office knows there is no Saturday Vespers. The Vespers said on Saturday evening are first Vespers of Sunday. This is in accord with the Jewish feasts which began at sundown. Christ is the fulfillment of the Old Testament, so it is natural that the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, prefigured in the Jewish feast of Passover, would be offered the evening prior to Sunday or Holy Day.

Many parishes also have a Sunday evening Mass. The more diverse times for Mass better serves the faithful.

[quote=rcn]Your gut is giving you a feeling that, quite frankly, you have no business having.

Since when is it up to ANYONE to question anyone’s motive for attending mass on Saturday? It is offered as a fully valid way to satisfy the Sunday obligation, with absolutely no strings attached. Your assertion that one ought to attend only on Sunday unless truly prevented from doing so, seems to have no basis.
[/quote]

And you have no business being so belligerent, but it doesn’t seem to stop you.

Did I say vigils were invalid or illegitimate? In fact I said the opposite.

Did I say it was wrong to attend them? I did not.

Did I assert that my gut feeling was correct to the exclusion of all else? Of course not, that would have been foolish.

In fact: I said this that you failed to quote (maybe it was too small the first time)

While I try to not actively judge others, I know I myself held such an attitude earlier in my life

sheesh…

tee

I like the Saturday vigil Mass.

I like attending it with my husband. I like coming home to dinner after, that we made prior to heading out to Mass, and RESTING. I like the whole prospect of resting from Saturday evening to Sunday evening. I like sleeping late, and eating whatever I find in the fridge for brunch, going out to dine on Sunday evening. In the meantime, I like sitting around and reading the newspaper, or playing board games with my grandchildren, or taking a civilized walk. I find that the whole day of rest idea was one of God’s finest, and by attending Mass on Saturday evening, I certainly get that.

Swiss Guard is correct. There is no Saturday Vespers.

The saturday mass has saved my butt many a time when I had to work on Sunday morning…

[quote=Swiss Guard]The only Vigil Mass the Church offers is the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday evening. The Mass offered on Saturday evening to fulfill the Sunday obligation is the Anticipated Mass.
[/quote]

There are also vigil Masses for Pentecost, Christmas, and the Assumption of Mary (there may be others as well that I can’t think of now).

The anticipated Mass is convenient when confessions are only done (regularly) on Saturdays- some people can’t just drive to the church for confession then drive back- many people need to take care of everything in one trip (say if the church is a considerable distance from their home).

That being said, I personally wish parishes would have fewer Mass times- that way you can get to know people of the parish (after Mass outside of the church- no visiting during Mass or in the church where people are trying to pray). The sense of community in Fundamentalist churches is what steals people from the Catholic Church. A parish may have priests that can preach the truths of the Catholic faith and celebrate reverent liturgies, but that doesn’t mean a thing to the person who goes to Mass week after week, is lonely and is going through a rough time- and no one knows or even seems to care, because they’re too busy praying to notice when others may need a person to show they care whether they live or die.

[quote=tee_eff_em]sheesh…
[/quote]

No, not “sheesh”. Your exact words:

[quote=tee_eff_em] I know for a fact that not every attendant at my own parish’s very crowded vigil Mass would be otherwise prevented from worship on the following day. Many people, I am sure, attend as a scheduling convenience – Go to Mass, go out to dinner/other entertainment, sleep in on Sunday and don’t let God get in the way*.
[/quote]

Are you not saying that one should always attend a Sunday mass, going on Saturday only if one is “prevented”? That fitting a Saturday mass into one’s weekend is somehow less… well, I don’t know exactly less “what”, but somehow “less”? Just what was your point?

There are dozens of times a year when the Saturday night Mass is the only one I can attend. If not for that, I would miss many a Sunday Mass obligation.

[quote=tee_eff_em]Let me say up front: I believe and affirm that vigil Masses are perfectly legitimate… Many people, I am sure, attend as a scheduling convenience…
[/quote]

Isn’t attending the 11am Sun mass instead of 8am also a matter of scheduling or convenience?!? Aren’t some of those folks (gasp!) observing a restful Sabbath by sleeping in, enjoying a relaxed morning or brunch with their family, etc.instead of dashing off to mass at the crack of dawn?!? I think our far bigger concern is why so many self-identified Catholics have altogether fallen away from regular mass attendance instead of nitpicking about why attendees go to the mass they do.

[quote=pnewton]There are dozens of times a year when the Saturday night Mass is the only one I can attend. If not for that, I would miss many a Sunday Mass obligation.
[/quote]

Same here–about 9 months a year I work Sundays, so the Sat. vigil Mass is a wonderful thing. Our parish also does vigil Masses for some Holy Days, which again, allow me to go!

Originally in our diocese the Vigil Mass was specifically intended for those who could not make it to Mass on Sunday. As the years passed, this was not preached anymore. I guess, the clergy were happy that at least people were going to Mass.

Deacon Tony

Again as I have posted before I go along with what the Church has approved… If the Church says the Vigil Mass is approved I am all for it .If there are second thoughts or reservations they just need to spit it out and I will never attend a vigil Mass again. As I have posted before the bishops just need to tell us in plain language what they expect!
Mike

[quote=m134e5]There are also vigil Masses for Pentecost, Christmas, and the Assumption of Mary (there may be others as well that I can’t think of now).

[/quote]

Those are Anticipated Masses. The only time the Church keeps vigil at Mass is on Holy Saturday when she keeps watch at the tomb waiting for her risen Lord.

[quote=Swiss Guard]The only Vigil Mass the Church offers is the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday evening. The Mass offered on Saturday evening to fulfill the Sunday obligation is the Anticipated Mass.
[/quote]

Actually, there are more Vigils than just Easter. There are six: Easter, Christmas, Pentecost, Ascension, Nativity of St. John the Baptist, and the Feast of Ss. Peter & Paul.

I discussed this question in a previous thread:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=13887&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

This topic was also discussed in several earlier threads, some of which I have posted the links to below:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=36355&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=44602&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=31433&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=45377&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=45334&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=19215&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

[quote=muledog]Actually, there are more Vigils than just Easter. There are six: Easter, Christmas, Pentecost, Ascension, Nativity of St. John the Baptist, and the Feast of Ss. Peter & Paul.

I discussed this question in a previous thread:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=13887&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

This topic was also discussed in several earlier threads, some of which I have posted the links to below:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=36355&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=44602&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=31433&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=45377&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=19215&highlight=saturday+vigil+mass
[/quote]

The Masses are now Anticipated Masses for the following day with the exception of Easter. The liturgical reforms of Paul VI took these vigils off the calendar and made them the Anticipated Mass for the feast, which satisfies the obligation for those that are Holy Days of obligation. Going to Mass on Christmas Eve in the days before the liturgical reforms did not satisfy the obligation to hear Mass on Christmas, whereas now it does satisfy the obligation.

I was at the Mass for the Vigil of Pentecost in the Tridentine rite this year. All the Vigil Masses are the same as daily and Sunday Masses with the exception of the Easter Vigil. The only Mass where the Church keeps vigil is the Easter Vigil. Again, the rest are now Anticipated Masses.

What surprises me is that we’re even having this discussion. Since the earliest time, sundown was considered the beginning of the new day. The Jewish Sabath begins at sundown on Friday. Our Sunday begins at sundown on Saturday.

Since Jesus rose from the dead on a Sunday, we chose to celebrate Sunday as the holy day, rather than on Saturday (the Sabath).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.