Saudi Arabia: Homosexual man jailed for 'immoral acts'

Manama: A court in eastern Saudi Arabia has sentenced a homosexual man to three years in jail for engaging in “immoral acts”.

The man, in his 30s, was also ordered to pay a SR100,000 fine by the court in the port city Dammam in the Eastern Province.

According to a report in local news site Sabq, the man was apprehended by the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice after he posted pictures of himself naked on social media and offered to have sex for free with other men. “Offensive” pictures and chats with other people were found on his confiscated mobile, Sabq said on Tuesday.

Homosexuality and cross-dressing are social and legal offences in Saudi Arabia and the other Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries – Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and the UAE. Last month, police in Kuwait arrested 23 cross-dressers and homosexuals after they busted a “wild party” held at a chalet in the south of the country.

gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/saudi-arabia-homosexual-man-jailed-for-immoral-acts-1.1410726

I wonder if the State Department would condemn existing anti-gay laws of Saudia Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries, just as it does with Gambia, Uganda, Nigeria and other African nations with similar legislation. I guess it can’t dangle the carrot of monetary aid to the oil rich Arab countries, but it can and it does to poor African nations who oppose open homosexual behavior and gay “marriage.”

!!!

You have made a very interesting point. I would tend to agree.

We don’t have a lot of leverage with Saudi Arabia yet. We need more oil independence; and frankly they are one of the few countries in the Middle East that tolerate our policies there.

The US government does what it can where it can

Possible tangent alert, but…
Here’s a scary thought: what if he didn’t even post such things in the first place? What if the integration of all forms of our media and technology allowed someone else or some random string of 0’s and 1’s in cyberspace to post it? This is why Catholic Answers is one of only two social media outlets I use. I fear that in the coming age, where Man has raised technology to idolatry status even this may not be enough.

Why does this seem to be yet another one of those posts using a hot button religious topic in politics?

I sure wish we could not make our religion political and our politics religious, because life just isn’t that black and white!

Saudi Arabia Religious Identity

“Muslim (official; citizens are 85-90% Sunni and 10-15% Shia), other (includes Eastern Orthodox, Protestant, Roman Catholic, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, and Sikh) (2012 est.)” - CIA World Factbook

Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice?
This is the same group that stormed a Christian prayer meeting in September and arrested the entire congregation, including women and children, yes?
Oy.
I shudder to think what their definition of “virtue” and “vice” are.

Not a country I ever want to visit.

Neither would I. And only Muslims are allowed to be citizens there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.