Saudi Arabia’s Grand Mufti denounces Islamic State group as un-Islamic

I know some members here have expressed an interest in seeing more condemnations of ISIS/ISIL, which is why I am posting this:

Saudi Arabia’s Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdulaziz Al al-Sheikh, the highest religious authority in the country, has said the militant groups Islamic State and al Qaeda were “enemy number one of Islam” and not in any way part of the faith.

“Extremist and militant ideas and terrorism which spread decay on Earth, destroying human civilisation, are not in any way part of Islam, but are enemy number one of Islam, and Muslims are their first victims,” he said in a statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency.

He later compared them to the Kharijite movement in early Islam, which assassinated the Prophet Mohammed’s son-in-law Ali for making compromises to a rival Muslim faction, and has been seen as heretical by most subsequent Muslim sects.
in.reuters.com/article/2014/08/19/iraq-security-saudi-mufti-idINKBN0GJ12420140819

The religious establishment has a prominent role in Saudi Arabia, and Saudi money has helped to spread the influence of the dominant Wahabi school of thought. For these reasons I think the Grand Mufti’s pronouncement is particularly important.

This is a positive step but to whom is this statement directed? Was it for domestic or international consumption? Will all the clerics in Saudi Arabia preach this same message to their congregations?

As a country in the crosshairs for domination, they are shaking in their boots. ISIS wishes to destroy any opposition, including the wrong kind of Muslims.

Flagstone,he is speaking up at least. With internet today a figure like he is knows that when he opens his mouth the world will hear it.
So agree with you,it is a positive step .
And positive news to post.

Here comes the skeptic…

Listen to his words but watch what he does. He could easily denounce his enemies while digging other graves.

Everything done by ISIS has some type of Koranic reference. In this case, consider the words of Sur An-Nisa’:

(4:88) What has happened to you that you have two minds about the hypocrites even though Allah has reverted them, owing to the sins that they earned? Do you want to lead those to the right way whom Allah let go astray? And he whom Allah lets go astray, for him you can never find a way.
(4:89) They wish that you should disbelieve just as they disbelieved so that you may all be alike. Do not, therefore, take from them allies until they emigrate in the way of Allah, but if they turn their backs (on emigration), seize them and slay them wherever you come upon them.** Take none of them for your ally or helper**,

Read very carefully this Grand Mufti’s condemnation and you will find it completely devoid of any condemnation for their slaying of religious minorities (including Christians). You will find that he condemns them for slaying Muslims that are not sufficiently radical.

From Al Monitor, June 30:

Saudi Arabia threatened by ISIS advance in Iraq

Contrary to an emerging consensus in the West and the Middle East, the turmoil in Iraq does not benefit Saudi Arabia, nor is it a “dream” for Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz. While relations between the Saudi royals and Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki are among the most strained in the region, it is one thing for the Saudis to view Maliki as a divisive figure beholden to Iran, and something patently different for them to be actively supporting the armed Sunni rebellion, which al-Qaeda offshoot the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) is spearheading.

The prospect of a failed state torn apart by a sectarian civil war along its border, another one in Syria and an al-Qaeda “state” rising up from the ashes of these two civil wars must be a disconcerting one for Saudi Arabia. While both Iraq and Syria have publicly blamed the carnage in their countries on the Saudis for what they maintain is Saudi support of “terrorists,” including ISIS, the al-Qaeda affiliate itself has vowed to “conquer” Saudi Arabia after it has “vanquished” the regimes in Damascus and Baghdad. More than any of its neighbors, Saudi Arabia has the most to lose from the conflict in Iraq spiraling out of control.

This Grand Mufti is scared. He is scared that he will be viewed as a hypocrite and will be put to the sword, per Koran 4:89.

It’s that simple.

I think a simple explanation would be that the Saudi government and ISIS are probably in agreement 90 pct of the time, only the Saudi hierarchy are a little afraid of waging world wide Islamic revolution at this time for fear of the ramifications it might have for them personally. Meanwhile, alot of Saudis are well aware of the fact that rich uncle Habib writes big checks for terrorist fronts, and cousin Omar isn’t really in London studying to be a doctor. In other words, I think this is just a show for the West, like the commercials on Rock and Roll stations after 9-11 that told us how Saudi Arabia is an enemy of terrorism. Saudis don’t support like terrorism like Germans don’t support the beer making industry.

They speak their own “language”,not ours.
If a change in Islam towards moderation is to happen,that change needs to come from within,gradually. If he is condemning ISIS for whatever reason,I would rather say fine.

They will have to undergo their own process of decantation,towards the less extreme first if you will.Even if it is years light away from what we consider moderate. He is a high religious authority for them,they will listen. This is the reason why I consider it a positive step,as I see it.

Talk is cheap. People are being brutally murdered. Only those that are willing to physically intervene in the slaughter are going to do any good.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.