Saudi Woman, 75, Sentenced to 40 Lashings

THIS IS JUST NUTS!!!

Saudi Woman, 75, Sentenced to 40 Lashings

The sentencing of a 75-year-old widow to 40 lashes and four months in prison for mingling with two young men who were reportedly bringing her bread has sparked new criticism of Saudi Arabia’s ultraconservative religious police and judiciary.

Khamisa Sawadi, who is Syrian but was married to a Saudi, was convicted and sentenced last week for meeting with men who were not her immediate relatives. The two men, including one who was Sawadi’s late husband’s nephew, were also found guilty and sentenced to prison terms and lashes…
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,506984,00.html

This is interesting, and fits a bit with what my parish priest talked about during his homily. He said that people think a lot of the ‘bizarre punishments,’ (such as what we see here) are based on Islam. Part of that could be true he said, but loooong before Islam and even Christianty, many cultures followed these types of strict punishments. So, it’s not so much religiously based, as it is cultural. I thought that was interesting.

That’s a lot of lashings :frowning:

It will most likely kill her. They are giving her the death penalty, without sentencing her to death; because she is old, alone and starving. I will think of this the next time I put gas in my car.

How can this be? Islam is a religion of peace.

Most likely the lashes won’t be given all at once. When someone is sentenced to a large number of lashes, they spread them out over a period of time so as not to kill them. Also, IIRC, they do not use a whip but a palm cane. The usual interval is weekly and the number of lashes administered depends on the health of the victim.So, if they only administer 5 at a time, once a week, for 8 weeks, she’ll be taken out and beaten. Not much better, but she will probably survive it. If she does not recover sufficiently during the week, they will probably postpone any further lashes until she recovers because it is not a death sentence. She’ll be in prison for 4 months so they might only give her 2 or 3 a week.

Eternal Father, I place this woman in your care and I ask you to inspire King Abdullah to intervene and have mercy on this old woman.

I ask this in the Name of Jesus, Christ.
:signofcross:

Why do we get all hot and bothered about this?

After all we go to Wal Mart and buy all that Chinese and Vietnamese low priced stuff they sell there and you can NOT tell me that those nations have a stellar HUMAN RIGHTS RECORD to stand behind.

Seriously we are nothing but whores. We buy our gas cheap from Saudi Arabia. And the only reason we get outraged is because these people are muslims and we were attacked by muslim terrorists. But we buy our cheap clothes and electronics and kitchenwares from China/Vietnam and we don’t care that they bury people in pits or beat them with sticks or a hundred other abuses they are subject to?

I think we need to look at SOCIAL JUSTICE just a little bit deeper than where can I buy my diapers for 43-cents a box less. And we need to stop looking ONLY at the muslims and being outraged when there are abuses like this one. There is plenty out there in the world that we need to be outraged about.

JMO

The royal family in Saudi Arabia has been trying to get from under the thumb from the religious police and courts for years. When the King tried to introduce radio in the country it was blocked. So he had a religious leader read the Koran over the radio and told them, “See this spreads the word of God?” Then radio was allowed in the Kingdom.

As for us buying cheap oil from Saudi Arabia we have no one to blame except the United States, We have more than enough oil in our country to support us for the next two hundred years.

My company employs over two hundred people we get the majority of our supplies from China. If we didn’t that would be two hundred less jobs in the United States. China and Vietnam are not attacking us by force.

These terrorists have been attacking us since the 1980’s.

When the so-called moderate Muslims start condemning these terrorists then I’ll look at them in a different light. Until then I will post true news stories about them.

Because there are atrocities in China/Vietnam should we not care about injustices elsewhere? Simply because the thread is focused on an elderly woman in Saudi Arabia does not mean that people aren’t concerned with China/Vietnam or Africa or India…

No, it is religiously based. The Wahabbi version of the Religon of Peace runs their society according to their interpretation of Allah’s commands.Internally, this is the theocracy that is in charge.
Not to say that Islam is not a very eclectic religion which incorporated many of the pagan practices into its creed, but this is as much about religion as it is about culture. Really, Islam is an entire way of life that includes culture.

:hmmm: Neat!

Well, y’know, in a simply “now-you-know” sorta way.

If I remember my Old Testament, I think the number of lashes couldn’t exceed 29, or so. And they would usually stop at 27, just in case they miscounted.

They seem a bit jumpy don’t they? I mean, it’s one thing to suspect the worse, but to suspect the worse with an old woman and her nephew? Somebody needs to get their mind out of the gutter!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.