Saudis to lash 75-year-old woman for mingling

"CAIRO - A 75-year-old widow in Saudi Arabia has been sentenced to 40 lashes and four months in jail for mingling with two young men who are not close relatives, drawing new criticism for the kingdom’s ultraconservative religious police and judiciary.

The woman’s lawyer told The Associated Press on Monday that he would appeal the verdict against Khamisa Sawadi, who is Syrian but was married to a Saudi. The attorney, Abdel Rahman al-Lahem, said the verdict issued March 3 also demands that Sawadi be deported after serving her sentence."

msnbc.msn.com/id/29601858/

I heard about this and figured there was something else going on to do that to an elderly women. She may not even survive the beating. I am outraged! I believe the goal was deportation and someone probably had it in for the young men.

I mean come on, she is 75! How is she to prove she was a wet nurse for one of them? It is not like they take pictures!

What jerks. I hope this story spreads all over the globe and they are embarrassed out of it. An outcry of International opinion has altered the outcome of several cases recently,

I pray for her.

She needs to be beaten to learn that she could have been raped.

This is sick. I cannot understand the logic on this one at all.

Yet another priceless example of the cruelty and insanity of Islam.

In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Salaam/peace

Islam teaches to punish both men & women sinners , not only women. If Saudi court decided to punish only woman here , bash them , why put blame on Islam ? Strange.

The cruelty and insanity of Islam unfortunately infects its adherents so they actually believe this is just and moral, and the laws of the civil and criminal code should abide by the rantings of a 7th Century bedouin pagan who was a warlord, thief, and enslaver (amongst other disgusting things).

Because it IS ISLAM! All that cruelty, barbarism and yes, insanity is what Islam is all about as seen by the example of your “prophet” and what he preached and taught in the Quran! Not a day passes that we don’t hear of some new atrocity committed by a “pious” Muslim who is just acting on the hatred and violence there.

But what’s the use of saying anything to people who continue to refuse to see what is in their own scriptures.

Vickie

It is my guess that Muslim Woman has either never actually read the Koran or she only read one of those water-down translations from a local bookstore.

I am keeping up with this one. What makes it worse is that they are not even following their own laws, which makes this appear fishier. She breast fed one of these young men as an infant. Under their code that makes her in a sense…his mother.

She was married to a Saudi, he died. She is not a Saudi. She has been asking her neighbors to do small errands for about 2 years. No one has complained. Under the Koran they are to be kind to widows and orphans.

But instead the courts want to beat her because her “son” brought his little widowed “mother” bread, and then when it is over they want to deport her. She will lose her husbands property if I am not mistaken. SOMEONE has an AGENDA.

The two men are being punished. With lashing I believe and jail terms. All involved are appealing the courts decision.

My God I hope her lawyer is a Mulsim version of a Perry Mason!

Can you tell us why the eldery woman is even punishedin the first place ? Maybe she and the young man might produce some ‘illegal’ babies.???

Even though the whole thing saddens me & I know that Muslam law is, for the most part wrong, with no attention being paid to the True God, I learned a long time go there was nothing I could do about it. Hopefully the folks that CAN make a difference will get it reduced to exile only.

My contribution to this post is this:

My mom is 75 years old and I know she is old and fragile. No elderly woman can survive this sort of punishment. And I will close my statement with “it’s barbaric”! :mad:

May God help and protect this old woman. I’m going to search the internet to see if any womens organizations are doing anything about this case.

this is sickening…:eek:

Good idea! I have been looking to for petitions or anything that American women can do to help in whatever way we can. There are Saudi women doing what they can as well. Saudi women’s rights activist Wajeha Huwaider has been talking to anyone who will listen. She echoes your statement. That this is like beating a grandmother and it cannot be justified.

I decided to go to Turkish and Egyptian news Sources, since they are secular states more information is released. Usually you will get a clearer picture.

Now I am even more outraged. The young man she breast fed,** Fahd al-Anzi, is her own late husband’s nephew! **THAT is not a close enough relative? So they are saying different rules apply because SHE is not Saudi and she cannot prove she breast fed him. Oh how convenient!

Even if he was not related,(HE WAS), you still don’t beat up women. But they have shown themselves to be hypocrites even by their own standards. Others there see this and it may eventually backfire.

This link is from Cairo AP. google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iV3v9O1nXO1iB7KrOYBi20FUEB5QD96QMCTG0

It was the nephews father who complained! Geez, I wonder who benefits from her being deported? :mad:

**The court said it based its March 3 ruling on “citizen information” and testimony from al-Anzi’s father, who accused Sawadi of corruption.

“Because she said she doesn’t have a husband and because she is not a Saudi, conviction of the defendants of illegal mingling has been confirmed,” the court verdict read.

Sawadi had told the court that she considered al-Anzi is her son, because she breast-fed him when he was a baby. But the court denied her claim, saying she didn’t provide evidence. In Islamic tradition, breast-feeding establishes a degree of maternal relation, even if a woman nurses a child who is not biologically hers.

Sawadi commonly asked her neighbors for help after her husband died, said Saudi journalist Bandar al-Ammar**, who reported the story for Al-Watan. In a recent article, he wrote that he felt the need to report the case “so everybody knows to what degree we have reached.”

Others have also spoken out against the case against Sawadi, accusing the religious police of going too far.

“How can a verdict be issued based on suspicion?” Saudi doctor and columnist Laila Ahmed al-Ahdab wrote in Al-Watan on Monday. “A group of people are misusing religion to serve their own interests.”

KUDOS to Saudi journalist** Bandar al-Ammar** for feeling the need to spread the story, “so everybody knows to what degree we have reached.”

EDITED TO ADD: Geez, my bad! The other article is from the same source!

I got so worked up the first time over this that I did not focus! :blush:

Welcome to the Islamic justice system - where there is no justice, just whoever has the power implements their own islamic justice.

The Saudi Arabian government are hypocrits. They will only move on this dependent on the outcry from the West. Otherwise, these religious nazi’s are keeping the Saudi Arabians under control for them.

Notice it’s only those muslims who are in fact more secular than islamic, who are complaining. It is only when you open your eyes to the fresh air outside of Islam that its cruelty, degradation, ignorance and outright stupidity becomes clear. Islam is a cult of the worst kind - it needs to be exposed for what it is.

Muslim Woman,
hello, do you believe that her punishment is a fair and just one? Is this what Islam demands as a punishment for this particular offense?
Thanks
Xyneshia

You do not question the conviction of the woman only?

I’m only 51. But I probably wouldn’t survive it either. There is no mercy or respect for women, young OR old.

This is a good question.

doesn’t Islam also punish women who are RAPED? How about the man who rapes the woman? Does he get punished?

I don’t see why this woman should be punished for socializing with young men. Isn’t that what mingling means?

The young men were arrested for bringing a woman some food. Is that a crime? :confused:

In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Salaam/peace

God warned us in holy Quran ’ don’t come near to adultery’ . It means we must avoid those acts that may lead us in to that.

Prophet (pbuh) told us , “No man should be alone with a woman except in the presence of her mahram.” “Whenever a man secludes himself with a woman, the devil will be the
third companion.”

Punishment is for adultery is 80 or 100
(??? ) lashes for both men & women . In that particular case , the news is confusing . If they were involved in immoral acts , why punish the lady only & 40 lashes ???

I guess , she is guilty of breaking Saudi laws ?? No man is allowed to enter to meet a woman who is not her father , bro , son. She allowed 2 men to meet her when no family member was around. If she breastfeeded one , other was not her son/bro.

Still , to my best of knowledge , there is no punishment prescribed in Quran or hadith if they only talked & they came to give her food. And to consider her age , it’s unlikely that she was involved in any immoral acts . Let us wait to know more details .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.