Savannah Guthrie calls out Trump: "You're the president — you're not like someone's crazy uncle"

Is there anyone who still believes that Trump is so totally ignorant that he knows nothing about his own health and about the weird conspiracy theories by QANON? He just re-tweeted them?

2 Likes

So a liberal media Democrat was hostile and insulting toward Trump. Why is that news?

9 Likes

6 Likes

Mary Trump is a disaffected relative with an axe to grind. She has no sense of shame

5 Likes

What on Earth is “hostile” and “insulting” about asking a very important and pertinent question? And then rejecting the evasion? That is what a good moderator is supposed to do.

By the way, do YOU, personally believe that Trump was truly ignorant about his own test results? And that he knew NOTHING of QANON, when he re-tweeted those ridiculous accusations about the bloodthirsty, cannibalistic, democratic pedophiles? I would like to have a simple yes or no answer, please. We had more than enough evasion from Trump.

Actually Guthrie treated him very gently. She should have insisted that Trump call his doctors and order them to provide the information about his test results before the debate.

1 Like

Not the crazy uncle retweets satire from the Babylon Bee as if it’s true;

2 Likes

The one without shame is her uncle.

Trump refused to take responsibility for retweeting a baseless conspiracy theory, using as a defense “It was just a retweet”. How does that let him off the hook? According to 2498 of the Catechism, is does not:

3 Likes

I know nothing about any of this. That’s the only answer I can truthfully give. I can’t answer “yes or no” to something about which I know nothing. If you want to give me some reasonably reliable sources about these things, perhaps I could answer then.

I didn’t see much of it. What I saw was anything but “gentle”. It was caustic and challenging.

As a partisan, I guess she should have. As a supposed moderator that is tremendously out of line.

2 Likes

More projection.

He’s a presbyterian. They don’t consider Catholic teachings authoritative. However, I will say Trump seems to be far and away the more Catholic candidate in this election, just as Bush was the more Catholic candidate in Bush vs. Kerry election. It’s embarrassing and a shame.

11 Likes

Of course Trump knows these things. He may be ignorant of other things but insofar as his own health is concerned and organizations such as QAnon, he is well aware. And he knows exactly what he is doing politically to defeat his opponent.

4 Likes

The moral guidance on spreading rumors is universal. Trump may not respect this moral guidance, but we who evaluate him to decide whether to rehire him can certainly take it into account. It is morally wrong to spread rumors. Everyone knows that.

3 Likes

I don’t know much about this Qanon, but from what I’ve read they’re becoming more prevalent among Evangelical Christian, ( probably some Catholics also) with their insane conspiracy theories. Apparently they believe that POPE FRANCIS, (among others) is part of a worldwide pedofelia satanic worship cabal, there is no one more dangerous than a delusional religious fanatic, I don’t believe President Trump believes this nonsense.

1 Like

Then why didn’t he say so last night?

2 Likes

Those who have never seen the tweet or the retweet can’t really give a firm opinion whether the retweet was an endorsement, condemnation or neutral reposting of the original tweet.

Of course “spreading baseless rumors” was rife in here during the Russia hoax and the Ukrainian hoax and none of the Dems in here got all righteous about it.

4 Likes

I honestly can’t answer that as I don’t waste time watching political debates, I do wonder about his Evangelical prayer group that surround him, they are adherents to this end times/rapture fallacy that is not scriptural and definitely not Catholic teaching. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of them are into this Qanon as there are Christians who still believe that the Pope is the anti-christ so that would fit in with their belief. I just can’t see Trump, bombastic and bellicose as he is falling for such nonsense, he may have heard about them… but…if he does believe it we’re really screwed, lol.

Then tell the leftist Dems to stop with all their lying ways.Adan Shiff et all.

1 Like

Trump does not think about Qanon, much less believe in what they say. What he says has almost no connection to what he believes (if, indeed, he believes anything at all). But one thing he does think about is himself. He has an automatic reaction to say good things about those who express love for him and bad things about those who do not. Since Qanon has expressed support for Trump, he will go out of this way to avoid saying anything negative about them. That is also why he reluctantly condemned white supremacy in principle without acknowledging that there are any white supremacists, so as to have his cake and eat it too (since white supremacists also support him). It was so icky seeing him try to find something good to say about Qanon without signing on to their conspiracy theories. “I hear they are very strong against pedophilia. But I don’t really know anything about them.”. “I hear” is one of Trump’s favorite phrases because it lets him send a message without taking responsibility for the content of that message. And no one really believes that he knows nothing else about Qanon, like the fact that the FBI has declared them a potential domestic terrorist risk. Whenever the subject comes up he quickly switches to talking about Antifa and the evil left. Yuck!

2 Likes

Glad you’re concerned about Trump not being aware of the CCC. Just curious if you ever thought about quoting the CCC to CATHOLIC Joe Biden?

Here is a good one I think he may not be aware of that you might let him know about:

2271 Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law:

6 Likes

He shouldn’t retweet ridiculous things.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.