saved and unsaved

Sometimes I listen to non-catholic Christians radio, and the word “saved” is mentioned when a person is baptised.

My question is, is the status “saved” meant to stay with person for good? For example, if one did not believe in God and now baptised in a non-Catholic church, he is now saved. What if he later converts to Catholic, what you call him?

water,

What you call him, depends on who you are. Catholics would recognize the baptism as still valid, provided it was valid in the first place.

Without opening too many cans of worms, does that answer your question?

Thanks, I am trying to understand the definition of “saved” by non-Catholic Christians. With responses, I will have a better idea of what they think of Catholic - a cult, Christians, etc.

Okay, the can of worms is open. Let’s see what you get. Again, it will vary depending on who replies.

Suggestion: rather than wading through the multiplicity of Protestant opinions, why not read some of Catholic Answers’ tracts on salvation, so you can get solid, Catholic teaching?

catholic.com/library/salvation.asp

Prior to becoming Catholic, I would’ve said that “saved” meant that the person accepted Jesus as his Savior, is trusting in Him alone, and because of that, he has been saved from the punishment of his sin, so he will go to heaven when he dies.

However, I now know that the Bible does not support the view that salvation is assured. This is a good explanation of salvation:

catholic.com/library/Assurance_of_Salvation.asp

Thanks for the info, but it looks like I have opened the bottom of the can, but not the top. :smiley: I wanted to see what non-Catholic think.

Thank you, Carol Marie, and so do we, Catholics, trust in His Mercy and Grace.

In that case, my friend, I will leave you, in the worm theme, with a little poem that my father used to tell me, God rest him.

It makes about as much sense as will the compilation of viewpoints that you will receive:

Ooey-gooey was a worm
Ain’t got no mama
Ain’t got no papa.
…Squish!
Ooey-gooey! :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.