Saved from Hell?

I asked this in the other forum but got no response. Can we pray someone out of hell (or by any other act) like we do by offering up acts, prayers, or masses to the souls in purgatory.

My gf’s brother was a suicide.Yes, I do trust him to divine mercy, but just assuming he is in hell for mortal sin, can he be saved by earthly acts on his behalf and prayer to the lord to forgive him?

Anthony

Ending up in Hell is a fate chosen for oneself, not by God. Our fate is sealed upon our death.

As for suicide, it is a mortal sin. However, remember the conditions of mortal sin include full awareness of what you are doing and full consent. Many times a suicidal person has a mental disorder or a depression that causes them to be suicidal. In cases like these, the sin may only be venial or even less.

Ultimately it’s up to God to decide, He follows His rules; He does not follow ours.

first place no one can say whether or not your brother, any suicide, or anyone at all is actually in hell, not even the Church. 2nd hell is a choice not a sentence, except a self-imposed sentence of eternal separation from God, no one can be in hell who does not choose it. the choice, once made, is irrevocable.

At the moment of death the soul encounters God, with all the knowledge and awareness necessary to make a full, free will choice for or against God. The barriers and difficulties in the person’s life which may have led him to try suicide will be gone, and in that moment he will be able to choose God, being free of those burdens of doubt. all the prayers offered for a person avail him at this moment of judgement because at that point he is outside time, so go on praying for your brother.

I was reading a book on Fatima. In the book, the three children were instructed to pray for those that were in purgatory. Of course, Purgatory isn’t hell, but maybe that is what the OP is thinking of?

[quote=A.Pelliccio]I asked this in the other forum but got no response. Can we pray someone out of hell (or by any other act) like we do by offering up acts, prayers, or masses to the souls in purgatory.

My gf’s brother was a suicide.Yes, I do trust him to divine mercy, but just assuming he is in hell for mortal sin, can he be saved by earthly acts on his behalf and prayer to the lord to forgive him?

Anthony
[/quote]

No. You can certainly pray for them, as you don’t know if they are in hell. But if they are indeed in hell, no amount of prayer will help them, according to Catholic dogma.

No, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do for someone who is in hell. God Himself has abandoned them, forever.

In my mind, once youre in Hell, there is no returning back :(.

Confusin scenario…Ok, the moment of death…the soul may or may not encounter God, only after death the soul can be judged by God. You cannot decide for or against God after you are dead. You decide that the instance right before your death, that would depend upon your soul and graces you may or may not have. That is why they say you don’t want to be caught unprepared. You are judged for who you are once you pass beyond the realm. What you have or what you have not will determine if you can enter the Kingdom.

[quote=itsjustdave1988]No. You can certainly pray for them, as you don’t know if they are in hell. But if they are indeed in hell, no amount of prayer will help them, according to Catholic dogma.
[/quote]

It’s only just a Catholic dogma, it is eternal truth! There was a hell before the world came into existence. It’s not because the Church made it a dogma, there is a eternal hell.
God must stay true to His Truth, A.Pelliccio.
Once they are in hell, they have no connection with you for eternity!
Sorry if that’s painful to hear, but it’s true. The only family you will have is the one in Heaven.

[quote=Lovez4God]Confusin scenario…Ok, the moment of death…the soul may or may not encounter God, only after death the soul can be judged by God. You cannot decide for or against God after you are dead. You decide that the instance right before your death, that would depend upon your soul and graces you may or may not have. That is why they say you don’t want to be caught unprepared. You are judged for who you are once you pass beyond the realm. What you have or what you have not will determine if you can enter the Kingdom.
[/quote]

Thank you. I too thought that once someone has passed away, the individual can no longer makes choices. But that their life was the choice between God or Hell. Is this correct??? Thanks and God Bless.

P.S. No, once a soul is in hell, the soul’s fate is for eternity. :frowning:
And here’s the CCC on suicide:

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 **We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives. **

[quote=slinky1882]Thank you. I too thought that once someone has passed away, the individual can no longer makes choices. But that their life was the choice between God or Hell. Is this correct??? Thanks and God Bless.

[/quote]

I would have to question the confidence the soul will have once it has reached eternity. The soul will recognize itself and what it was made fore. If you spend all your life running away from God ( sins, without truth, love, and prayers), your soul would likely rebel against God and flee from His Presence since He is All Powerful and Beautiful. But if you are caught with graces, you would defenitely stay a lil longer in the presence of God. And then your judgment will be pronounced. Not all will encounter God the same way.
I have read some exorcisms, and the devil plays a certain role in tempting a person to commit suicide. I have also heard it is in that pivotal moment, God pities that soul and Jesus loves them greatly because this is like the most shallow experience for any person to feel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.