Saved in Sin or Saved from Sin

In church yesterday, I heard someone describe why they were not catholic anymore. They said in Protestantism they are “saved from their sin not just saved in their sin.” For some reason, this just struck me as an empty cliche. What does this even mean? Any thoughts?

I may have to re-read Hahn’s Lord Have Mercy on this.

But here is my view/opinion:

"saved from their sin

Meaning not to suffer the consequences of their sins anymore…not wanting to do penance anymore…seems to me they are running from the responsibility of their sins.

I will cite St. John Vianney here:saints.sqpn.com/catechism-on-suffering-by-saint-john-vianney/

There are some who suffer like the good thief, and others like the bad thief. They both suffered equally. But one knew how to make his sufferings meritorious, he accepted them in the spirit of reparation,…The other, on the contrary, cried out, uttered imprecations and blasphemies, and expired in the most frightful despair…There are two ways of suffering — to suffer with love, and to suffer without love. The saints suffered everything with joy, patience, and perseverance, because they loved. As for us, we suffer with anger, vexation, and weariness, because we do not love. If we loved God, we should love crosses, we should wish for them, we should take pleasure in them. . . . We should be happy to be able to suffer for the love of Him who lovingly suffered for us. Of what do we complain? …Only we must love while we suffer, and suffer while we love.

saved in their sin

Not sure what is meant by this quote…how can someone be saved in their sin if one is not forgiven beforehand?

This must mean…sins are forgiven…but we must persevere and remain in a state of grace…seems like the person who said this has trouble persevering away from sin…

Rom 11: 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

I agree with Pablope. It seems to be that “freed from their sin” is similar to “Once saved, always saved” in the sense that salvation from Christ, through belief in Him, conquers all of one’s sins. However, as Catholics, we believe that humanity is born into sin (original sin), and Christ offers of forgiveness of those sins, and that ‘forgiveness’ is our source of redemption (as opposed to the Protestant’s ‘belief’). But to accept the idea of ‘belief’ as necessary for redemption, once must set aside the redemptive value (as opposed to the miraculous value) of the death on the Cross, which is perhaps why Catholics use a crucifix and most Protestants use only a cross.

St. John Vianney is truly beautiful to read/hear.

As to the later question I’m not sure where the reference point is of being saved from sin.:shrug:

pablope, seems to indicate he/they [whoever they are?] are saved from future sin which hasn’t occured. Reminds of the idea of the one time sacrifice of the Cross, thus no Confession/Comminion/Eucharist which we often hear here. :slight_smile:

Course it could be a new twist also.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.