saved?

I am a Catholic. I have been in the Baptist Church as a young man. I did not understand the concept of being “saved” I thought it was about stating my predisposition to sin and then doing my best to stay true to the word/bible. I did this in an effort to be a “joiner”. My parents divorce was troubling me, and I needed a family. That good intention did not last. I am now a very didicated Catholic, Husband, Father, Professional, Community Servant and Citizen. I love my God and my Wife, and my Children, and my work, and my Church and my community and also my Country. Here is the problem. My children wanted to go to vacation bible school with the nice people next store, who are baptist. I took them last evening, and being good Catholic girls when the pastor ask if any of the children wanted to go to Heaven and be saved from sin they both held up their hands.I intervened as the “workers” were moving the children out of the chapel and into private sessions. As we left I explained to my young daughters the difference in our Church and the baptist church’s approach. I believed we had an understanding. My daughters ages are 6 and 8. This evening I worked late and arrived home to learn that my lovely Catholic wife allowed our children to go again with the exeedingly nice people to church and my children announced themselves “saved”. How do I undo this mess. I told them (girls) about reconsiliation and communion. They do understand this and I will not let them attend this or any other church than our own. Have I made a mistake that could damage my childrens faith?

I doubt that your children have any serious damage. They are saved, and they are being saved, and they will be saved all by the grace of God. Moreover, as a loving catholic-father you will help them learn (what Paul tells us in his letter to the Phillipians) that “we must work out our salvation in fear and trembling.”

As long as you are well versed in the teachings of the church on the issues of salvation, justification, sanctification, and repentance you should be able to teach them the true gospel. Naturally, you need to do this at a level they can understand and then reinforce it with greater depth as they grow up. You are their primary teacher and they will trust you.

You are also their protector and you recognize the danger of exposing them to other theological understandings. I firmly believe that if you set an example of extraordinary love of God and gently and lovingly teach your children, you will have done all that you can as a father. Protecting them from the ways of the world will probably be a much greater challenge than protecting them from the teachings of the preacher down the street.

Thank you. I am as stated a convert to the Catholic faith. I have grown and continue to grow in my faith and knowledge of the one true Church. I appreciate your comments and will be determined about continuing my instruction for the children, and myself. I will also be deligent about preventing them from exposer and risk. What a concept. This forum is very helpful.

team 2a, part 1

We have a somewhat similar dilemma. I have three children, 12, 9 and 4. They were all enrolled in the Baptist AWANA club last September for the first time. My wife and I were going to the Baptist church as well and she helped instruct one of the groups. Shortly after this I discovered the truth and I am now Catholic.:thumbsup:

I was able to get my wife to let me ‘liberate’ my oldest daughter from the AWANA program by January since they were teaching strange and bizarre things to her in her group. I wondered if Rod Sterling hung around in their twilight zone. My wife wanted to finish the year with my younger 2 kids but has stated that our children will no longer be allowed to attend this theological free for all they teach.

Some of what my kids have learned in the Baptist AWANA club: 1) Catholics are NOT Christian 2) We only need to read the Bible after accepting Jesus to be ‘saved’ 3) Baptists were the original Christian Church founded by Jesus and the Catholics have corrupted it (and others) 4) They will not work with the interfaith group for charity projects 5) Baptism is only symbolic and only theirs is valid 6) ALL Catholic writings are evil 7) 10% tithe is mandatory 8) “ALL people are just dumb sheep” a quote 9) Baptists are not protestant 10) Girls cannot cut their hair and must wear dresses 11) Non-Christians (Jews) are allowed to edit the Bible 12) We can judge others on whether or not they can go to heaven. I will stop here as you now have an idea about what they teach. Each sect varies too!:confused:

I have home Bible study every week so I tried to counter the lies my children were taught. My older daughter got so confused my wife let me “free” her after just a few months. My younger kids had no idea what was going on.

part 2,

In this club ‘instructors’ are allowed to counsel your children one on one without your consent or knowledge. They are encouraged to even ‘save’ your children without your knowledge (forget the ten commandments about honoring your parents, these commandments no longer need to be followed since they were nailed to the cross with Jesus and are now obsolete) There is no requirement for instructor certifications or training and they teach whatever fits their personal “whim and fancy”.:whacky:

Do the souls of your children a favor, get them out of anything the Baptists teach. If you leave them in, it will confuse them and they will be encouraged to turn their back on Catholicism and convert, get “re” baptized, and be ‘saved’. They will use their ‘friendship’ with your kids to compel them to join. ‘Friendship’ can cloud ‘truth’ and does, that’s why they use it so effectively.:frowning:

My kids now go to CCD and are no longer allowed to attend ANY Baptist event. My wife has also left the Baptist church due to the bigotry she saw against me and later her, and the inventions of ‘whim and fancy’ they teach as fact.

Get your kids out yesterday!

See what AWANA’a (a typical Baptist youth club) is all about. Pay close attention to what they state as their theology : awana.org/
We must still “LOVE” our Baptist brothers, just don’t let them teach your kids their faith, teach them your Faith!:wink:

I was in AWANA from 3rd grade through high school. I also helped teach the younger (pre-school and elementary school) kids when I was a teenager. I got all of their big trophies and went to AWANA camp in the summer. My mother and father were both leaders in AWANA and my father was (and still is) the commander of AWANA in their church. So I am very familiar with AWANA. The people in AWANA are very sincere and geniunely concerned about the salvation of people. They are doing what they think they should do. It’s not like they are “out to get” kids and lead them astray…I do realize they are wrong about a lot of their theology, and they do teach anti-Catholic things. I would not recommend Catholics sending their children to AWANA. As a child, I brought several of my Catholic friends with me to AWANA and many of them came regularly. Looking back on it, I don’t know why their parent’s allowed them to come.

AWANA is not only in Baptist churches, it is also in Bible churches, Evangelical Free churches, and some non-denominational churches. The churches that want an AWANA club have to adhere to certain doctrines. This way, AWANA has become a type of criteria that many people use to choose a church…as my parents say, “If a church has an AWANA club, you know it’s a good church.”

One good thing about my experience in AWANA is I have memorized a lot of Scripture. Unfortunately some of it was taken out of context to “prove” their doctrines so as an adult I have had to re-learn the meanings by reading them in context…not an easy task.

[quote=team2a]I am a Catholic. I have been in the Baptist Church as a young man. I did not understand the concept of being “saved” I thought it was about stating my predisposition to sin and then doing my best to stay true to the word/bible. I did this in an effort to be a “joiner”. My parents divorce was troubling me, and I needed a family. That good intention did not last. I am now a very didicated Catholic, Husband, Father, Professional, Community Servant and Citizen. I love my God and my Wife, and my Children, and my work, and my Church and my community and also my Country. Here is the problem. My children wanted to go to vacation bible school with the nice people next store, who are baptist. I took them last evening, and being good Catholic girls when the pastor ask if any of the children wanted to go to Heaven and be saved from sin they both held up their hands.I intervened as the “workers” were moving the children out of the chapel and into private sessions. As we left I explained to my young daughters the difference in our Church and the baptist church’s approach. I believed we had an understanding. My daughters ages are 6 and 8. This evening I worked late and arrived home to learn that my lovely Catholic wife allowed our children to go again with the exeedingly nice people to church and my children announced themselves “saved”. How do I undo this mess. I told them (girls) about reconsiliation and communion. They do understand this and I will not let them attend this or any other church than our own. Have I made a mistake that could damage my childrens faith?
[/quote]

I would Suggest that you hit this site & get Apologetics 1, then maybe some of their others. Good Stuff all, & it will help you prepare your girls for future questions (which are inevitable). catholicapologetics.com/

[quote=Malachi4U]team 2a, part 1

Some of what my kids have learned in the Baptist AWANA club: 1) Catholics are NOT Christian 2) We only need to read the Bible after accepting Jesus to be ‘saved’ 3) Baptists were the original Christian Church founded by Jesus and the Catholics have corrupted it (and others) 4) They will not work with the interfaith group for charity projects 5) Baptism is only symbolic and only theirs is valid 6) ALL Catholic writings are evil 7) 10% tithe is mandatory 8) “ALL people are just dumb sheep” a quote 9) Baptists are not protestant 10) Girls cannot cut their hair and must wear dresses 11) Non-Christians (Jews) are allowed to edit the Bible 12) We can judge others on whether or not they can go to heaven. I will stop here as you now have an idea about what they teach. Each sect varies too!:confused:

[/quote]

The funny thing is that the AWANA program includes NONE of the things above that you stated. If those views were expressed, they were the views of the church hosting the program, not the program itself. The facts can be found very easily at their website which you obviously have not looked at. If you had of looked at the website, you would see their beliefs, curriculum and training clearly spelled out. Your agenda to undo all the Baptist influence in your life clouds your judgement. You obviously can’t see through your past experiences to view facts as they are presented. Here is the precise link to view the curriculum of AWANA for those seeking the truth about the organization’s curriculum.
awana.org/about/default.aspx?id=147

[quote=bonica]I was in AWANA from 3rd grade through high school. I also helped teach the younger (pre-school and elementary school) kids when I was a teenager. I got all of their big trophies and went to AWANA camp in the summer. My mother and father were both leaders in AWANA and my father was (and still is) the commander of AWANA in their church. So I am very familiar with AWANA. The people in AWANA are very sincere and geniunely concerned about the salvation of people. They are doing what they think they should do. It’s not like they are “out to get” kids and lead them astray…I do realize they are wrong about a lot of their theology, and they do teach anti-Catholic things. I would not recommend Catholics sending their children to AWANA. As a child, I brought several of my Catholic friends with me to AWANA and many of them came regularly. Looking back on it, I don’t know why their parent’s allowed them to come.

AWANA is not only in Baptist churches, it is also in Bible churches, Evangelical Free churches, and some non-denominational churches. The churches that want an AWANA club have to adhere to certain doctrines. This way, AWANA has become a type of criteria that many people use to choose a church…as my parents say, “If a church has an AWANA club, you know it’s a good church.”

One good thing about my experience in AWANA is I have memorized a lot of Scripture. Unfortunately some of it was taken out of context to “prove” their doctrines so as an adult I have had to re-learn the meanings by reading them in context…not an easy task.
[/quote]

You are exactly correct. AWANA is non-denominational in nature and acknowledges catholics as a denomination. Here is a link that is on the AWANA website that lists catholics along with other Christians in a survey done by Barna. It is here: awana.org/articles/default.aspx?id=527
It is not the evil organization proclaimed abroad. If people don’t agree with their teaching, their kids shouldn’t be going. Their beliefs are clearly stated here: awana.org/about/default.aspx?id=19

I think that you are wise not to let your children attend such gatherings (you are to be commended for being a loving father. Many men would be like, “Hey, it gets them out of my hair…and it’s about the BIBLE!”). I was reared Southern Baptist, saved at 7, resaved/re"baptized" several times, as was my younger brother. The Baptists run right over parental rights at things like neighborhood Bible studies, GA’s, church camp. My mother got so sick of us being upset/resaved, she finally wouldn’t let my youngest brother go to church camp at all.

[quote=Malachi4U]part 2,

In this club ‘instructors’ are allowed to counsel your children one on one without your consent or knowledge. They are encouraged to even ‘save’ your children without your knowledge (forget the ten commandments about honoring your parents, these commandments no longer need to be followed since they were nailed to the cross with Jesus and are now obsolete) There is no requirement for instructor certifications or training and they teach whatever fits their personal “whim and fancy”.:whacky:

[/quote]

The leaders are qualifed and receive training in what the organization teaches. If you send your kid to the public school, you expect the teachers there to teach them a certain curriculum. Each teacher takes that curriculum and applies it in their own unique way. What on earth do you expect when you knowingly send your kid to a non-denominational, evangelical club for kids? Wouldn’t you expect (as their beliefs clearly state) that they will teach things that may be contrary to catholic teaching and may even be different than Methodist or Presbyterian teaching?

If I send my kid to a non-Catholic church that offers a non-Catholic curriculum, then I should expect them to be taught non-Catholic things.

Your job in the world should not be to slander every organization that doesn’t belong to your organization. Let people see the facts for themselves.

[quote=team2a]I am a Catholic. I have been in the Baptist Church as a young man. I did not understand the concept of being “saved” I thought it was about stating my predisposition to sin and then doing my best to stay true to the word/bible. I did this in an effort to be a “joiner”. My parents divorce was troubling me, and I needed a family. That good intention did not last. I am now a very didicated Catholic, Husband, Father, Professional, Community Servant and Citizen. I love my God and my Wife, and my Children, and my work, and my Church and my community and also my Country. Here is the problem. My children wanted to go to vacation bible school with the nice people next store, who are baptist. I took them last evening, and being good Catholic girls when the pastor ask if any of the children wanted to go to Heaven and be saved from sin they both held up their hands.I intervened as the “workers” were moving the children out of the chapel and into private sessions. As we left I explained to my young daughters the difference in our Church and the baptist church’s approach. I believed we had an understanding. My daughters ages are 6 and 8. This evening I worked late and arrived home to learn that my lovely Catholic wife allowed our children to go again with the exeedingly nice people to church and my children announced themselves “saved”. How do I undo this mess. I told them (girls) about reconsiliation and communion. They do understand this and I will not let them attend this or any other church than our own. Have I made a mistake that could damage my childrens faith?
[/quote]

Friend,

I am a Baptist. There really is no mess to clean up after. Your children should be simply told that people believe different things and that you as a family do not believe some of things taught by the AWANA organization.

With my children, I have always shared that it doesn’t matter what anyone else believes or how they behave, our family believes X and behaves in X fashion. That gives you a unique family identity that will carry them through to adulthood.

It sounds like you are a generous and loving father who wants the best for your children. I would not advise allowing children to go to activities with other denominational groups that differ in belief from your home denomination. It would be confusing to them. Once you explain to them how the X family lives, they will be fine. If they ask questions, answer them as honestly and clearly as possible.

Blessings to you and your family…

[quote=team2a]. They do understand this and I will not let them attend this or any other church than our own. Have I made a mistake that could damage my childrens faith?
[/quote]

Personally I wouldn’t let my children attend another Church, that’s bound to confuse them.

We can only follow one shepherd, if one shepherd wants to lead the sheep one way, and another wants to lead them another way, then they will end up going nowhere, or get totally lost. (confused).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.