Saw a GREAT thing at Mass this morning

That’s all fair enough, you have a right to kneel.

But that doesn’t mean that you should act like a methodist and kneel for communion.

If you are a Latin rite Catholic, a Roman if you will, do as the Romans do, as per St. Ambrose of Milan.

Like I said if I could I’d kneel for sure because I would want to show the Lord the most reverence and honor I could when I receive Him.

Why is this acting like a Methodist? Although it is no longer the norm, it seems a very Catholic thing to me.

Catholics always did it before.

Methodists kneel for communion. I remember the pics of Sen. Kerry receiving communion in a Methodist church during the 04 campaign.

Would you be making a big deal if the same teen profoundly bowed and then reverently received communion in their hands?

Not likely.

I’d be VERY happy to see any young person going up to receive Our Lord KNOWING fully WHO they were receiving and WHY.

Would you be posting about a teen who profoundly bowed and reverently received in their hands?

Probably not because I believe it is the way the majority of young people do receive this way. I didn’t post about her to say she did better than anybody else I posted because it is so rare to see someone so young in our parish do this. It’s NOT a contest to see who receives Holy Communion better. Like my original post said I normally don’t see ANYBODY receive Holy Communion because I am in the first or second pew and as soon as I return to my place my head is bowed and my eyes are closed until I hear Father at the Altar again. I just happened to look up earlier this time and saw her. Everything posted here doesn’t have to become an argument or a comparison contest to others. I just thought it was a beautiful difference I had not seen any young person do in our parish before.

That was the norm before. The norm was changed.

So, this girl is more reverent than kids who don’t kneel for Communion?

I am going to go out on a limb and say yes, it appears that way. Go ahead and flag me. :wink:

The universal norm for receiving Communion in the Catholic Church is kneeling and on the tongue. The fact that an indult has been granted to certain bishops conferences allowing reception otherwise does not mean that the norm has been changed.

The norm in the U.S. is standing. This is not an indult, it is an adaptation to the GIRM, approved for the United States.There is a difference.

The Universal norm covers both standing and kneeling.

160 The priest then takes the paten or ciborium and goes to the communicants, who, as a rule, approach in a procession.

The faithful are not permitted to take up the consecrated bread or the sacred chalice themselves, and still less hand them on to one another. The faithful may communicate either standing or kneeling, as established by the Conference of Bishops. However, when they communicate standing, it is recommended that they make an appropriate gesture of reverence, to be laid down in the same norms, before receiving the Sacrament.

Contrast these two statements on proper disposition. One is from the Vatican, the next post is quotes from the USCCB.

In her loving and pastoral solicitude the Church has made sure that the faithful receive Holy Communion having the right interior dispositions, among which dispositions stands out the need for the Faithful to comprehend and consider interiorly the Real Presence of Him Whom they are to receive. (See The Catechism of Pope Pius X, nn. 628 & 636). The Western Church has established kneeling as one of the signs of devotion appropriate to communicants. A celebrated saying of Saint Augustine, cited by Pope Benedict XVI in n. 66 of his Encyclical Sacramentum Caritatis, (“Sacrament of Love”), teaches: “No one eats that flesh without first adoring it; we should sin were we not to adore it” (Enarrationes in Psalmos 98, 9). Kneeling indicates and promotes the adoration necessary before receiving the Eucharistic Christ.

“Saint Thomas Aquinas also refers to the practice of receiving Holy Communion only on the tongue. He affirms that touching the Body of the Lord is proper only to the ordained priest.

Therefore, for various reasons, among which the Angelic Doctor cites respect for the Sacrament, he writes: “. . . out of reverence towards this Sacrament, nothing touches it, but what is consecrated; hence the corporal and the chalice are consecrated, and likewise the priest’s hands, for touching this Sacrament. Hence, it is not lawful for anyone else to touch it except from necessity, for instance, if it were to fall upon the ground, or else in some other case of urgency” (Summa Theologiae, III, 82, 3).”

In continuity with the teaching of his Predecessor, starting with the Solemnity of Corpus Christi in the year 2008, the Holy Father, Benedict XVI, began to distribute to the faithful the Body of the Lord, by placing it directly on the tongue of the faithful as they remain kneeling.

It is difficult for some of us to embrace this emphasis on Mass as the action of a community rather than an individual act of my own faith and piety, but it is important that we make every effort to do so.

In the United States, the body of Bishops determined that Communion should be received standing, and that a bow is the act of reverence made by those receiving. These norms may require some adjustment on the part of those who have been used to other practices, however the significance of unity in posture and gesture as a symbol of our unity as members of the one body of Christ should be the governing factor in our own actions.

Those who receive Communion may receive either in the hand or on the tongue, and the decision should be that of the individual receiving, not of the person distributing Communion. If Communion is received in the hand, the hands should first of all be clean. If one is right handed the left hand should rest upon the right. The host will then be laid in the palm of the left hand and then taken by the right hand to the mouth. If one is left-handed this is reversed. It is not appropriate to reach out with the fingers and take the host from the person distributing.

I don’t think most people in the United States are aware of this. It is so important to recognize this.

The Vatican statement focuses on Who we come to receive as the determinative value for how we receive Communion.

The USCCB makes uniformity in reception out of consideration for the people around us the determinative value for how we receive Communion, with hardly a mention of Who it is that we receive.

The Vatican: we want to show proper adoration for the Lord, even at personal inconvenience.

The USCCB: we want to show proper attention to everyone around us, and avoid inconveniencing anyone.

St. Thomas did not, at first, recognize the Lord. When he did, he fell to his knees and cried, “My Lord and my God!” Should we not, recognizing our Lord in the Eucharist, do the same?

I honestly fail to comprehend how anyone can think kneeling and standing are on the same level as far as reverence.

Kneeling is a symbol of submission. We fall to our knees as a sign of unworthiness. We lower our bodies as to not be on the same level as our Lord. Hasn’t anyone ever read the books about kings and queens and how the lowly peasants fall to their knees by being struck by their magnificence? Hasn’t anyone learned to pray on their knees?

We do these things on our knees because we are lower, we are unworthy, and to show respect so that we do not assume we are worthy. That would be almost prideful.

Depends on the custom of the country and the monarch in question as to what is appropriate.

I guess kneeling is a sign of submission, but isn’t groveling and crawling on the floor even a greater sign of submission?

If this youngster crawled down the church aisle to the altar on her hands and knees, would that have been a “GREAT thing” as well? It should be a greater thing, based on your own standards, no?

But of course it wouldn’t be, as crawling down the central aisle would just draw attention. And so does more simple kneeling also can be seen as a distraction and attention grabber.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit