Saying "Catholics and Christians" is akin to saying "Apples and Fruits"

I just picked up the “Definitive Edition” of the Passion movie DVD. One sentence of the liner notes says: “Targeting Catholics and Christians at their base–their churches–proved to be the essential key in a grassroots campaign.”

I found this offensive, as if to imply that Catholics are not Christians. I see and hear this phrase elsewhere, too. More accurately, the liner note should have read “…Catholics and Protestants…” :mad:

I realize that many (most?) Protestants don’t like the term “Protestant.” Either they are in denial of the historical facts or they simply prefer the more pleasant-sounding appellation “Christian” but the fact remains that they are Protestants, even those far-removed from the 16th century.

Accuracy with words is important. How we speak affects how we think.

The liner notes were probably written by a Protestant. That’s just how it is. I’ve known many Catholics who would define themselves as “Catholic” much more readily than saying “Christian.” Language is a living thing, and this distinction seems to have evolved in American English. I see your point, but I’m not going to lose sleep over it either.

Yeah, and I could see a few Catholics bristling at the term ‘Christian’, even though it’s encompassing. Could have been even one of those types of Catholics who wrote those notes.

That said, I hope you do as I, use the term Christian whenever I can instead of Catholic. If you cause one person to rethink their assumptions of Catholics (and the catholic faith) by doing this, you’ve done good.

mp

That said, I hope you do as I, use the term Christian whenever I can instead of Catholic. If you cause one person to rethink their assumptions of Catholics (and the catholic faith) by doing this, you’ve done good.

If someone asks me what religion I am, I’m more likely to say “Catholic” then “Christian” because Catholic is more definative then the all encompassing “Christian”. Once, however, I was in a group in class and we were talking about differences so we were talking about religion and one girl said “I’m a Christian”. I was next so I just said “I’m Christian too,”. Another girl in the group who knew me said “I thought you were Catholic?” and I said “Same thing, Catholics are just the original church,”. Another guy (Catholic) grinned and said “Universal church,”. The last girl said “It really is the same if you think about it,” (I should’ve gone further with that one but I didn’t). The girl who asked me if I was Catholic looked really thoughtful for a moment.

I do always correct people when they say “Catholics and Christians”. On the cover, I think the most ‘ecumenical’ thing would’ve been “Catholics and other Christians…”

Saying “Catholics and Christians” is akin to saying “Apples and Fruits”

:thumbsup:

The reason Protestants say, “no label, just simply Christians” is because Protestants cannot come to grips with the fact that they attempted to break the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church with 1500 years of tradition, yet are too cowardly to take credit for it. Maybe thats why they hold on to sola fide so tightly…if they simply have faith, their actions in breaking the Church wont matter…

My Methodist and Lutheran family members and friends answer “Methodist” or “Lutheran” if somebody asks them what religion they are. One of my Methodist friends has a myspace page, and under “religion” he has “Methodist” on his myspace profile.

and Baptists may state that too. But I notice in news type reports and like the DVD it will be Catholics and Christians.

I think its not to imply Catholics are not Christian but to recognise Catholics as a group. Think of it, they simply could have said Christians, then Catholics would have said what about us?

You could note that Catholics have their “own” catagory and Baptists, Pentacostals, Lutherans, Methodist etc have to share a catagory. :slight_smile:

Really to avoid *non believers of Christ * (those who deny Him even existing, or could care less, the secular world), being confused it should probably be stated like;

Christians encompassing the Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Pentacostals etc.

In the interest of evangelism I think it would be a great idea and would show that unity that the world longs for.

There is a global day of prayer and Catholics and Christians are all participating its a great witness.

Interesting, because from my experience it is mostly the opposite.

Actually most non-Catholic Christians profess the Nicene Creed. I guess that makes them Catholic :slight_smile:

:rotfl: :hmmm:

soooo do ya all think any less of me . . . :smiley:

peek at profile

I will say something Ive been told and perhaps this is the time to clear it up

When it gets to the end Ive been told that its not the Catholic Church proper, whats the view here on that?

It is impossible to truly and fully profess the Nicene Creed and not be Roman Catholic…I mean, it is a Catholic creed…

Kitty Chan said:
soooo do ya all think any less of me . . .

peek at profile

Kitty Chan, no we do not think any less of you. On the contrary, we love you more than you will ever know :slight_smile:

:blush: shuffles paws

Then you will love this, I settled on the creed because of the variety of statements out there. Its to the point. You will find Lee Strobel writer of the Case for Christ quotes it in his book and a earlier one in the bible.

I bought a little book called “A Place for Skeptics” by Scott Larson and Chris Mitchell its based on the Apostles Creed. Some of you may enjoy it.

Im starting to wonder if the creeds are more “popular” with people who enjoy apologetics as they are a standard of faith. I know my self I like the “older” writers, CS Lewis, Andrew Murray, things like the creeds. Even new writers quote older people, there really is nothing new under the sun, right?

Gods clever give Him time :wink: Hes the Good Shepard.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.