Saying God's Name b/c of how it "feels"

So I, a long time ago as a child, was taught to say short prayers involving Jesus’ name. I also said “God” a lot as part of a prayer. Eventually, I started saying those Names as habit, and eventually I wasn’t saying them as prayers at all.

Now, today, I’m into the bad habit of saying in my throat/mouth God’s Name, by itself, without speaking anything, just b/c it “feels good” on my throat.

I mean, I think just saying God’s Name by itself probably isn’t blasphemous, but my conscience does hurt whenever I do this.

I’m scrupulous also (FYI) and usually this only is a problem when I worry about it happening…which can happen in some situations more than others…

I literally do not say it out of anger, or anything like that.

I guess I have two questions:

1. Is this sinful? (I know when I say it it’s out of habit, but I still want to know if it at least is grave matter)

2. How would you stop this? I’ve tried stopping worrying about it, but then I start worrying about worrying about it… and it’s ad infinitum

It sounds like an ocd habit, but the person to help you is your priest and/or your spiritual director. Here you will possibly get a lot of opinions, but your priest and/or spiritual director can help you find more substantial peace of mind and heart.

Thanks. The reason why I’m saying this is b/c I’m not going to be able to meet with my confessor for a few days, and even then I don’t want to go to Confession without having a mortal sin…b/c I don’t want to help my scruples, etc

I say the name of Jesus a lot. It’s mostly humming it into a song. I could spend a few minutes doing this at a time, even while doing other things. Sometimes I turn it into a personal song to Him. I do it out of respect, in praise and comfort. Kind of like a mother humming to a baby a new song.

Would this be something like you are doing? I don’t see anything wrong if you aren’t using His name in vain. But I don’t know Catholic laws yet.

ETA: Yes, do speak with your priest about it.

IMHO, it is a mortal sin to take the name of God in vain. The reason I think so is because it is stated precisely and directly in the Bible as something you should not do.

The word God should only be uttered respectfully, in effect in an appropriate manner and circumstance, and as if a prayer in itself. God is the ultimate Holy, and therefore His name should be treated as such.

ps. The Jews viewed God’s name as so Holy, that they were usually too afraid/awed to utter it.

Well, it is not necessarily grave matter, as it can be profanity…which can become grave matter, but isn’t in of itself… (not to sound like someone justifying anyone though)

"The word God should only be uttered respectfully, in effect in an appropriate manner and circumstance, and as if a prayer in itself. God is the ultimate Holy, and therefore His name should be treated as such.

ps. The Jews viewed God’s name as so Holy, that they were usually too afraid/awed to utter it."

True.

But also, what if somebody is “praying” a Hail Mary, without really thinking about what he is saying? He is saying God’s Holy Name, but not necessarily is being respectful or in an appropriate manner/ circumstance, and definitely not saying it as a prayer in itself…

I don’t think that would be taking the Name in vain.

IMHO, it is grave because it is directly against one of the major ten commandments.

Well, the Catechism doesn’t say that breaking any of the Ten Commandments is grave matter…there is something called “parvity of matter…” but taking the Name of the Lord God in vain is sinful…

Anyway, I don’t mean to get off topic…

I don’t think I’ll be able to meet with my confessor b/c I can only do so in Confession…and scrupulous people should not go to Confession every week (I went last week)… but should I go?

I posted my last post rather fast and so I edited it (edits in bold) so that I wouldn’t cause confusion. :blush:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.