Saying "I swear to God" and breaking it?

Hi there!
I am 14 years old and suffer from anxiety but getting help. Thoughts consistently come in my mind that are not ‘pro’ God. I ignore them, as I do not give them my attention because I do not believe them. However I know the severity of saying, “I swear to God _____”. Without me wanting to, my mind will say “I swear _______” even though I try to stop myself. For example, my mom went to Italy for two weeks and I said to myself, “I swear to God, I will not go with her.” I honestly do not remember exactly but I am almost positive I was trying to stop myself and did not want that thought in my mind. If I break this, how can I get forgiveness and will there be a punishment?

Hi,

Saying “I swear to God” is the same as saying, “truly,” or " I’d swear on a stack of Bibles."
It just means that you really mean what you are trying to say. It is not an offense against God. So there is nothing to break. You don’t have to stop yourself from saying it.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.