Saying the Rosary During Mass...Is it OK?

Every once in a while, I will notice someone near me that is saying the Rosary during Mass. They are saying it quietly mind you. I had never thought about it until GF said she thought it was inappropriate during the Mass. I tend to agree with her, but I didn’t know if there was anything official. Also, I’ve never had the honor of attending a TLM, so I was thinking that maybe it was something done during those Masses, especially since most of the people I’ve seen doing it are older folks.

Is it ok? Well, I don’t believe that it is part of “full, active, and conscious participation” that *Sacrosanctum Concilium *called for. It also brings the mass to the level of a devotion - which the mass is not.

Are you going to go to hell for it? Certainly not.

A fair percentage used to pray the Rosary during the Tridentine Mass, and no it was not prohibited. They had no clue about what was going on in the sanctuary so they did something else.

From the 1974 Aposolic Exhortation “Marilias Cultus” at vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_p-vi_exh_19740202_marialis-cultus_en.html :
“31. … Secondly there are those who, without wholesome liturgical and pastoral criteria, mix practices of piety and liturgical acts in hybrid celebrations. It sometimes happens that novenas or similar practices of piety are inserted into the very celebration of the Eucharistic Sacrifice. This creates the danger that the Lord’s Memorial Rite, instead of being the culmination of the meeting of the Christian community, becomes the occasion, as it were, for devotional practices. For those who act in this way we wish to recall the rule laid down by the Council prescribing that exercises of piety should be harmonized with the liturgy not merged into it.”

Also at the end of n. 48: “In fact, meditation on the mysteries of the Rosary, by familiaring the hearts and minds of the faithful with the mysteries of Christ, can be an excellent preparation for the creation of those same mysteries in the liturgical action and an also become a continuing echo thereof. However, it is a mistake to recite the Rosary during the celebration of the liturgy, though unfortunately this practice still persists here and there.”

The Rosary is recited in the liturgical ceremony “Order for the Blessing of Rosaries”. This is not a Mass. After the prayer of blessing, the rubric is: “1480 The recittion of the rosary follows, in the manner customary in the place.” Afer the rosary, there is a Concluding Rite to the ceremony. (Book of Blessings, Liturgical Press, Minnesota, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8, page 557.)

For the Benediction ceremony, involving Eucharistic Adoration, the rosary is given a unique place. From the 2002 Directory of Popular Piety and the Liturgy at vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20020513_vers-direttorio_en.html :
“The faithful should be encouraged to read the Scriptures during these periods of adoration, since they afford an unrivalled source of prayer. Suitable hymns and canticles based on those of the Liturgy of the Hours and the liturgical seasons could also be encouraged, as well as periods of silent prayer and reflection. Gradually, the faithful should be encouraged not to do other devotional exercises during exposition of the Blessed Sacrament (footnote 180: Cf. Reply ad dubium on n. 62 of the Instruction Eucharisticum mysterium, in Notitiae 34 (1998) 133-134; concerning the Rosary, see the following note.). Given the close relationship between Christ and Our Lady, the rosary can always be of assistance in giving prayer a Christological orientation, since it contains meditation of the Incarnation and the Redemption (footnote 181: Cf. PAUL VI, Apostolic Exhortation Marialis cultus, 46; Letter of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline pf the Sacraments (15.1.1997), in Notitiae 34 (1998) 506-510; see also the rescript of the Apostolic Penitentiary of 8 March 1996, in Notitiae 34 (1998) 511.).”

About praying the rosary during Mass.

I once heard a priest say that when he was newly ordained, he was “bothered” by those who were saying the rosary during Mass until this thought came to him. “At least they are praying!”

As for the poster who said that people prayed the rosary because they didn’t have a clue about what was going on at the altar, I consider that to be a statement based on no evidence to support it, and usually comes from someone who was NOT in the church during those days.

Sunday missals were common - Latin on one side of the page, English on the facing side. Children used them with ease. Daily missals were also in use which is proven by the fact that not only were they published, there were several “editions” (St. Andrew Daily Missal, St. Joseph Daily Missal etc.), there are many, many of them still around. They obviously were purchased for use by Catholics who attended daily Mass. Both types of missals continued to be published (supply and demand?). If one were to see a display of used missals, they certainly would not all have the same publication dates.

Are we “sure” people today know what’s going on during Mass even with the vernacular in use? Hearing and listening and comprehending do not always go together. Oh, I forgot! In many, if not most churches, one can read along in a missalette. Sounds pretty much like using a missal during those pre-Vatican II days. Humm…

If a person is able to participate in the mass, ie. meaning that he/she is able to pray along with others or repsponding to the priest with others, then this person should do. Praying the rosary and not focusing on what is going on during the mass is not something one should do.

I could imagine that if someone is deaf and is not able to hear anything, then maybe during the homily, he/she can pray the rosary. He/she should participate the rest of the mass.

as the eucharist is the most important part of our faith, i would think that putting the rosary before our lord is a mistake , maybe out of ignorance

Amazing as it may seem to you most of us did know what was going on in the sanctuary, despite what you have been told by the Traditional Mass haters who frequent these sites… We were taught what happened in our catechism classes and were expected to pay attention to what happened at the altar.

Did some people pray the Rosary? Yes some did. Not all. Not a majority. But yes some did. Some still do.,

But please don’t make an [edited by Moderator] statement like you just did, especially when they have a few of us who were around in those days and actually know better.

I say the Divine Mercy Chaplet as part of my prayers after receiving the Eucharist.

I was taught that it is absolutely NOT okay to pray the Rosary during the mass. Our full attention should be on the mass, the Liturgy of the Word and The Eucharist. What a wonderful idea to stay afterward, if you can, to pray it then though!!

God Bless!!

Thanks for providing this.

I have asked dozens of older folks why they used to pray the rosary at Mass. To a person they have said because they didn’t have a clue what was going on – or it was fuzzy at best.

Simply put, if they did, they wouldn’t be focused on the Rosary. That goes without saying.

My comments are based on peoples’ comments who used to pray the Rosary during the Mass – sadly most have passed now.

As far as “Traditional Mass haters” that’s just a red herring as far as this thread goes.

I ignore your crude closing…

Speaking of actually understanding the Mass, I often wonder what percentage of Mass-attending Catholics actually do? 75%? 50%? 25%? 10%?

Whatever the number is (and it’s probably shockingly low), I’ll bet it’s considerably higher than it was back when the Mass was only celebrated in Latin.

Hence the praying of the Rosary by many during Mass…

The Mass is our highest form of prayer.

Why would you say another prayer over,during or on top of the Mass?

It would be like starting one prayer then stopping to say another then going back to the first one.

Our Father who art in heaven
Hail Mary full of grace
the Lord is with thee
hallowed be thy name thy kingdom com thy will be done.

Say the Rosary before or after praying the Mass.

I guess some people don’t realize that the Mass is a prayer?

Don’t let folks in the Traditional forum see this kind of comment - it is virtually heresy there.

Say the Rosary before or after praying the Mass.

Ignore it all you want. Your true intent was obvious from the post.

Most Parishes report between 25-35% of those registered actually attend Mass.

Traditionals have argued for years that the Mass itself is a prayer in fact the highest and most perfect form of prayer.

Thats one of the reasons the abuses that occur in the Pauline Mass are so shocking and cause such resentment among Traditionalists.

No argument needed – and certainly not by any one group. The Mass is indeed a prayer – the most powerful and complete prayer of the Church. That’s even more reason not to pray the Rosary during Mass.

Deformations occur during the Mass (be it the ordinary OR extraordinary forms of the Mass) largely because of individuals’ egos and far less often due to actual constraints.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.