Scalia dismisses concept of religious neutrality in speech

METAIRIE, La. (AP) – Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia says the idea of religious neutrality is not grounded in the country’s constitutional traditions and that God has been good to the U.S. exactly because Americans honor him.

Scalia was speaking Saturday at Archbishop Rummel High School in Metairie, Louisiana.

Scalia, who was appointed by President Ronald Reagan in 1986, has consistently been one of the court’s more conservative members.

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCALIA_RELIGION_SPEECH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-02-15-30-00

Peter Kreeft:
“In an age of relativism, orthodoxy is the only possible rebellion left.”

You know, I could almost settle for neutrality from the government or in free speech, but we don’t have even that. What we have is an anti Christian government, and a sizable anti-Christian populace . Pro-Christian now days is almost too much to hope for.

What we once had WAS a pro-Christian government that simply left non-Christian religions alone, and I am fine with that. I think the very best we can hope for at the end of 2016 is religious neutrality. I seriously doubt we will get even that. To think I used to be an optimist.

I agree with the spirit of these comments, although I don’t know what the ideal Catholic situation is.

This is all rooted in the entitlement mentality. I think there is too many people out there who thought “if we just give them what they want, they’ll be quiet and go away”. :dts:

Terrible line of thinking because when’s the last time a group or institution benefiting from government said “no thanks, we’re all good here!”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.