Scandalous mass behavior

My pre-teen children and everyone that attended the mass that my family did, got a full visual education on the “art” of foreplay. This “parish council” couple sat in the pew that is closest to the altar, so no one that attended this mass could possibly have missed or misconstrue what was taking place.

With the exception of consecration, throughout the whole mass, this woman continually raked her nails over her husband’s ears, nape of his neck, and through his hair, constantly “petting“ him. It wasn’t done in a messaging or scratching way, but in a seductive manner.

The homily was a fiasco. The priest was stumbling over his words and ended up cutting it obviously short. This couple is in their forties and supposedly “church leaders”. It was quite scandalous.

I am concerned, what is our Church coming too? How are we supposed to educate our children on proper mass behavior when the pillars of our community are conducting themselves as such? :eek:

I wish that I could say that I had an OUNCE of advice for you… I can just sit here and wring my hands for you. :blush:

… wait… maybe a bit of advice: don’t let that behavior go unchecked. Talk to the couple… talk to the woman… talk to the man… talk to your priest… talk to the Parish Council president. :frowning:

When we allow these things to happen and allow them to take over we risk letting that side win. :eek:

Don’t feed into it. Don’t make it bigger. Pick your battles. Don’t fan the fire. But don’t let it go… and don’t think for one minute that you are the only one who was offended. :blush:

That’s a fine example of when a pea shooter might have come in handy :smiley: …teachccd

“The homily was a fiasco. The priest was stumbling over his words and ended up cutting it obviously short. This couple is in their forties and supposedly “church leaders”. It was quite scandalous.”

If the church leaders are not acting accordingly, they should be told and they should be able to understand that they need to help people pray.

Are you saying that the priest got distracted because of the inappropriate behavior of the couple?
Maybe the priest was not well prepared for the service either. How old is he? I think a priest should not be distracted by that kind of behavior if he knows what he is doing. I do not intend to put you against your minister. I’m just saying this may be the case. He may need to her from you too.

Sit right behind them next mass. Ask them (quietly) if they plan on “full, active participation” in the mass or if there are here on a date.

Do this for 3 or 4 weeks straight and I’ll bet that the behavior stops.

:wink:

While that might work, the first step is to talk to the pastor.

Well, I was caught a little off-guard when you started asking “what is our Church coming to”. I don’t think that this behaviour is widespread. At least, in the various parishes that I’ve been to I’ve never seen this behaviour.

I think you should talk to the priest first, not the couple themselves. Talking to the couple themselves may just start an argument and it’s not our place to police others. And if the priest was bothered by it and indeed cut his homily short, chances are he has plans to talk to them already. You talking to him first will reinforce that what happened was wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.