Scapular enrollment

I bought a brown scapular while I was at Franciscan University last weekend for a conference. I didn’t realize that there was a whole enrollment process so I just had it blessed by a priest there. Should I refrain from wearing it until I get enrolled? :confused:

I wouldn’t stop wearing it but, just know that you aren’t enrolled. This Sunday when you go to Holy Mass just ask your priest to enroll you; it takes like 3 min.
God Bless!

Well, enrollment in the scapular is not getting the scapular blessed :slight_smile:

But yes, for now, keep it on.

According to the “Catechesis and Ritual for the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel”, “there are today several categories of devotees according to the degree of identification with and affiliation to the family of Carmel”. At the top, of course, we have the religious. Immediately afterwards, the Third Order.

Third, we have all those who belong to the Confraternity of the Scapular - namely, all those who have been invested in the scapular by a priest according to the proper rite.

However, all those who wear the scapular share in some degree of affiliation with the family of Carmel, even if they are not Catholic or not Christian. However, only a Catholic can be invested in the Scapular, and definitely all Catholics (in my opinion) should learn about this devotion, which goes hand in hand with the Holy Rosary (they were both given by Our Lady to the Church about 800 years ago).

Usually parishes have enrollment ceremonies on July 16, feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, but in theory any priest can do this for you, if you talk to him. The rite should be in the Book of Blessings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.