Scapular Medal vs. Woolen Scapular

When I was first enrolled in the Brown Scapular, it was taught that the cloth scapular was preferred by Our Lady. And wearing the medal in lieu of the cloth scapular for any reason other than absolute necessity was a disappointment to her, especially in cases where vanity and fear or shame of the profession of Faith factored into the decision.
Has the Church’s teaching on the subject changed, I’ve read now where the scapular wearer can opt for the medal and still have expectation of the full spiritual benefits and enjoy the favor of The Blessed Mother? Is the medal now the equivalent of the woolen scapular for daily wear?

As far as I know, nothing has changed with the churches stance on the medal vs. cloth scapular.

In my personal opinion, I feel as if our Lady would want us to wear the cloth version.
And here is my reasoning:
#1 Cloth is a much more humbling experience.
#2 If seen by people, it would just seem like another medal, and this is a symbol of resolving yourself to our Heavenly Mother and the blessings she will pour the wearer.

Again, this is my personal opinion.
Blessings,
MS

Thank you, brother. I agree with you 100%. She didn’t give the Carmrlites a medal, She gifted them with the Scapular.

I would like to share with you this information which is from the two branches of the Carmelite order, handed to us in the year 2000.

carmelitanacollection.com/catechesis.html

Please note that the scapular does not have to be 100% wool, and that in cases where it is impractical to wear a cloth scapular (an allergy, a job where much movement is required and the scapular keeps twisting around, etc.) the scapular medal may be used.

Cloth scapular blessings pass down automatically when a new one replaces an old one. If one uses the medal and loses and then replaces it, the medal needs to be blessed again.

Thank you and God bless you for sharing this information, Dorothy. I’m having problems with the wool scapular twisting, and coming out from beneath my clothing. Although not an embarrassing situation, it requires a trip to the ladies’ room to amend.

Thank you for sharing this information, Dorothy.

I have problems with the wool scapular twisting, and popping out from underneath my clothing. Although not an embarrassing situation, it requires a trip to the ladies’ room to amend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.