scapular medal

What needs to be on a scapular medal?front and back?Thanks all answers!

I hope someone who knows for sure can post a verified answer.

To replace wearing the brown scapular, the medal should have the Sacred Heart on one side and Our Lady (but I don’t know exactly which image … Immaculate Heart?) on the other side.

Yes, the Sacred Heart on one side and on the other side Our Lady holding the child Jesus in her arms. Any image of our lady is fine and many monasteries make a scapular using their Lady holding Jesus.

Is it true that if i started to wear a scapular medal instead of a normal brown one i would have to get this blessed? As Ive already had a brown scapular blessed, doesn’t this blessing carry-over to the medal? (My brown ones keep breaking)

I hope someone can follow up on this because my memory is failing me on the details BUT I remeber that the “promises” made for the Brown Scapular hold only for wearing the wool. I think that wearing a Scapular medal carries no more weight than the wearing of any other religious medal.

A little help here, please.

True the medal must be blessed, There is a special blessing for it.
The promises hold as the indult came from the pope (PIUSXI)
If you opt to wear the medal you might as well get invested in the 4 other scapulars of the Catholic Church, The Scapular medal can replace the five scapulars

many thanks

My scapular used to break often also. The string would pull out of the scapular itself, and it became pretty frustrating. But now I actually apply just a drop of crazy glue where the strings go into the scapular and the scapular now lasts for a very long time.

Hope that helps some… :slight_smile:

I believe this to be the correct answer. The scapular is a religious “habit” in miniature. It is to be worn over the shoulders or scapula (latin: scapulae)

From FishEasters.com, which quotes a document from Pius X. It confirms that the scapular medal is a proper substitute for all cloth scapulars and carries all the blessings (and all the conditions) that come with them. The scapular medal was approved because wool, used traditionally for each scapular deteriorates rapidly in tropic climates. The Scapular Medal was also a popular item amongst Catholic men fighting in the first world war, as the often damp conditions also made cloth scapulars deteriorate rapidly. I wear a scapular medal at all times, but I do have a cloth one aswell, which I often also wear, but I take off when bathing or swimming.

1 The document from Pius X which introduced the Scapular Medal:

Holy Office December 16, 1910

For the future all the faithful already inscribed or who shall be inscribed in one or other of the real Scapulars approved by the Holy See (excepting those which are proper to the Third Orders) by what is known as regular enrollment may, instead of the cloth scapulars, one or several, wear on their persons, either round the neck or otherwise, provided it be in a becoming manner, a single medal of metal, through which, by the observance of laws laid down for each scapular, they shall be enabled to share in and gain all the spiritual favors (not excepting what is known as the Sabbatine Privilege of the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel), and all the privileges attached to each.

The right side of this medal must show the image of Our Most Holy Redeemer, Jesus Christ, showing His Sacred Heart, and the obverse that of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary. It must be blessed with a separate blessing for each of the scapulars in which the person has been enrolled and for which the wearer wishes it to suffice. Finally, these separate blessings may be given by a single sign of the cross (unico crucis signo), whether in the act of enrollment or later at the convenience of those enrolled, it matters not how long after the enrollment or in what order they may have taken place; the blessing may be given by a priest other than the one who made the enrollment, as long as he possesses the faculty, ordinary, or delegated, of blessing the different scapulars- the limitations, clauses, and conditions attached to the faculty he uses still holding their force. All things to the contrary, even those calling for special mention, notwithstanding"

Holy Office, Rome, December 16, 1910

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.