Scapular promise

I received a wool scapular in the mail.
On one end of the scapular it says,
“Whoever dies wearing this scapular shall not suffer eternal fire”.
Since I am not Catholic but am just now learning about the
Catholic faith, I am wondering how this works?
I did read up on scapulars on-line.
I can’t help but wonder how this is not superstition.
And another thought was,“If these scapulars do work,then this
explains why a priest would be able to feel free to commit the
molestations reported.”
Why not commit sin and just make sure you die while wearing this
scapular?
Another thought is about the Catholics in Mexico.
There are mostly Catholics in Mexico. They make sure
every baby is baptized Catholic.
They integrate witchcraft with their Catholic faith.
It was explained to me by a Catholic,that this is because the
indigenous people who were converted brought along their own
beliefs.
IT is not uncommon to hear someone say,“I am a good Catholic and
want to know what is going on in my life,so I went to this witch for advice.”
I find it hard to understand how the Mexican Catholics can be
blamed for being confused about superstitions and witchcraft.
When there are things like Scapulars being offered by the Catholic Church.
Isn’t this what started the reformation?
The selling of indulgences and these items that “forgive” or by pass “eternal fire”.
Please explain this belief in Scapulars.
Thank you

First things first, scapulars are not “get out of jail free” cards or something. You have to live the faith. You have to pray and frequent the sacraments, especially Confession. It is amazing how many stories there are of people who wore scapulars, were on their deathbed, and a priest was there to hear their confession… Others more learned than I will provide more help for this question.

I know a lot of Mexican Catholics and none of them are into witchcraft of any kind. Yes, there may be some who are into witchcraft but I doubt it’s the majority. We can’t generalize these things.

I’ll let others answer the rest. God bless

Jeff

It is a promise to those who are faithful in every way to God and His Church. You must live the Gospel messages and wear the Scapular as an outward sign of your faith. No superstition involved. You couldn’t just wear it and think you are off the hook.

The first question is a pretty common one, and you can find a great answer to your question here:

The Wonders of the Brown Scapular

As for the question about the spiritality of people from Mexico, I will say this - I attend a cathedral with huge amounts of Hispanic people from all different nations, and they are some of the most devout people I’ve ever seen. However, in our town there are also shops called “Botanicas”, which I always wondered about because the stores often have large statues of Mary in the window. I found this article in the local newspaper a very interesting read, giving some perspective of what actually happens in these stores, and why.

Oak Cliff’s Chango Botanica Believes Its Folk Remedies Are Good For What Ails You. But What’s Ailing The Botanica May Have No Cure.

Because even if scapulars worked this way (which they don’t) you simply can’t.

None of us can direct the circumstances of death.

Take the scapular off to go swimming, you could crack your head taking a dive.

Take it off to bathe, and you could slip and break your neck.

Go into surgery, and the scapular won’t be on you. What if you then don’t come out of anesthesia?

Get into a road wreck, and the medical staff will cut it off you with the rest of your clothing. What if you then don’t live?

The purpose of the scapular, AIUI, is to have a visible reminder on our human bodies, of the need to keep our faith and penance up to date. Otherwise, it is just another religious appurtenance.

To believe that the scapular itself excuses nonrepentant sin would, indeed, be superstition. It is the faith that places it over your head – either your own, or someone else’s – that will achieve the grace of final repentance.

God Bless and ICXC NIKA.

The site referenced belongs to a sedevacantist group, who hold that the last several popes have not been validly elected, and that consequently the contemporary church has no authority. This is a schismatic position, and the site isn’t the best place to learn about the teachings of the church. Without prejudice to that, it’s worth saying that the congregation that manage the site have no authority to make pronouncements upon the scapular, either.

More generally: the brown scapular is a devotion popularised by the Order of Carmelites (to which I belong) and also later by the Order of Carmelites Discalced. Have a look at:

carmelnet.org/scapular/scapular.htm

The page gives information prepared by both orders together, and so is as official a statement on the brown scapular as it’s possible to find.

In answer to the OP’s questions, I would also recommend this excellent post:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=7446834#post7446834

Best wishes.

This statement is part of what is called “The Sabbatine Privilege”. The following quotation is from The Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel by the North American Provincials of the Carmelite Orders (Community of Teresian Carmelites: Worchester, MA, 2000), page 4, in answer to the question, “What is the official status of the Sabbatine Privilege?”

“Historical research has shown that the alleged fourteenth-century appearance of the Blessed Mother to Pope John XXII is without historical foundation. As a matter-of-fact, in the year 1613 the Holy See determined that the decree establishing the “Sabbatine Privilege” was unfounded and the Church admonished the Carmelite Order not to preach this doctrine. Unfortunately, the Order did not always comply with this directive of the Holy See.

At the time the Carmelites were instructed to stop mentioning the “Sabbatine Privilege” the Holy See acknowledged that the Blessed Virgin Mary by her continuing intercession, merciful prayers, merits, and special protection will assist the souls of deceased brothers and sisters and members of the confraternity, especially on Saturday, the day which the church dedicates to the Blessed Virgin.

Consistent with the Catholic tradition, such favors associated with the wearing of the Brown Scapular would be meaningless without the wearers living and dying in a state of grace, observing chastity according to their state in life, and living a life of prayer and penitence.  The promises traditionally tied to the scapular offer us what the Second Vatican Council says about the role of the Blessed Virgin Mary: ‘By her maternal love, Mary cares for the brothers and sisters of her Son, who still make their earthly journey surrounded by dangers and difficulties, until they are led to their happy fatherland’.”

To OP, get yourself a fivefold scapular. :thumbsup:

THE FIVEFOLD SCAPULAR

Blessings and investiture by any Priest.
(Rite now assigned to all priests by the head of various orders.)
The Five-Folds :
Outer - the red or the “Passion Scapular”
Back - the white, or “Blessed Trinity”
Between the brown - or “Our Lady of Mount Carmel”
The black - or “Our Lady of Sorrows”
The blue - or “The Immaculate Virgin Mary”

In 1190, St. John of Matha, a Spaniard, was saying his first holy Mass, when he saw over the altar the figure of an angel wearing a white robe, with a blue and red cross on the breast and the shoulder. This became the habit of the order of The Holy Trinity. (White Scapular)

In 1240, the Blessed Virgin appeared to seven prominent citizens of Florence who bound themselves by vow to honor the Mother of God in her sorrows. She handed them the Black habit of the Servites and said,"…these garments shall be to you a perpetual memory of the sufferings of my heart." (Black Scapular)

In 1251, Our Lady appeared to St. Simon Stock, Holding in her hands the Brown habit of the Carmelites, she made this promise: “Whoever dies in this habit shall not suffer everlasting fire” (Brown Scapular)

In 1605, Our Lord appeared to Sr. Ursula Benincasa, and made great promises if she and her fellow nuns would adopt as their religous habit one of a light blue color in honor of the Immaculate Conception of His Mother. Sister Ursula then asked Him if He would grant similiar favors of those of the Laity or of other religous orders who would wear, in honor of the Immaculate Conception, a small Blue scapular; and Our Lord did so promise.(Blue Scapular)

In 1846, Our Blessed Lord appeared to Sr. Appoline Andriveau, showing her the red scapular of the Passion, promising that a great increase of faith, hope and charity would be reserved every Friday for those who wore the scapular. This vision was several times repeated; and the extraordinary thing about it is the rapidity with which it was approved in Rome. (Red or Passion Scapular)

These five scapulars have been approved seperately and together by the Church.The fivefold are one single devotion, approved by the Church.

The brown scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (what you are referring to) is not superstitious, or it’s not a good luck charm, or anything like that. It is part of a two-way promise: You are promising to Mary that you will live your life in confraternity with the Carmelites, and in imitation of Our Blessed Mother, who is the “perfect Christian”. In response to your actions, she in turn promises you the graces necessary for the gift of final repentence. In other words, she promises that if you wear her Scapular with true and proper devotion, she can obtain the graces necessary from her Son, Jesus, to not allow you to die without having properly repented for any sins that would condemn your soul.

If you wear the scapular and molest little boys, you are not keeping up your end of the bargain and you are using it as a magic charm. Our Lady does not respond to this behavior. There are conditions to wearing the scapular.

Further, believe me, you will not wear this uncomfortable piece of wool which itches and sticks out of all your clothes unless you are totally IN LOVE with our dear Blessed Mother and her adorable Son, our Lord and Savior! It is a penance to wear it, believe me! And anyone who loves Mary and Jesus that much would sooner die than offend Our Lord with hideous sins, like molestation.

I appreciate all your responses. I will read everything again including the links with prayer.
Thank you for taking the time to explain things to me.
God’s Love and peace to you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.