Scapulars and Skydiving

I heard you can take scapulars off when you go swimming, how about indoor skydiving? My scapular is new and I didn’t want to lose it.

Scapulars are a private devotion, yes, you can take it off.

And you should, by the way, if it is going to get in your way, or get caught in a machine or something. You don’t want to injure yourself because of it.

Wouldn’t it be concealed under your clothing?

That’s what I was thinking too, but I’m not an expert in skydiving and I guess its possible for the sacramental to get in the way- else the OP wouldn’t be asking about it.

If for this, or for anything else, you don’t want to hurt your self.

withdrawn - see now that this is indoor skydiving.

Is there sky indoors?

They have giant tubes.

I’ll echo others that you’d be fine to take off the scapula during the skydiving. You’re still following the spirit of wearing the scapula IMO as you’ll be putting it on again after and are only taking it off to protect it,

Thread titles like this make me happy to be here.

A scapular is a private devotion with a sacramental. A monk’s habit has very special significance, and the donning of the habit is of very special significance. It is a particular and visible mark of monastic life.

But, even monks will take off their habits, to do manual work in the fields or around the monastery for instance, when they wear work clothes (pants, shirt). Or when traveling (yes monks travel, they visit other monasteries, go away for studies, or to visit a sick family member or a family member’s funeral, etc.), as a monk’s habit is not a particularly practical travel garment (the ones I know though wear another sign of their vocation when they do however, either a clerical shirt and collar if a priest/deacon, or a sort of monastic “hoodie”, a black short tunic with a hood, with a simple wooden cross).

So if a solemnly professed monk can take off his habit and replace it with work or travel clothes, then surely one can take off one’s scapular, which a miniaturized version of a monk’s scapular.

Should one take off the scapular when sky diving?

I will go back to my time in the Army; we had a phrase.

Only two things fall out of the sky: bird (poop) and fools.

One might consider keeping the scapular on, and engaging in some other sport which might be (slightly) safer… Given this is indoors, perhaps a bit safer than jumping our of a perfectly good airplane, so tuck the scapular in, and not your legs…

Indoors I think its harder. Less time to react, a lot shorter fall- but certainly sufficient high to do serious damage

Actually something has occurred to me - is it sinful to do extreme sports that have high risks? You could argue that well you could get run over by a bus but surely purposefully doing things were there is a seriously slim chance of survival should something go wrong such as parachute/ BASE jumping/ skydive - thoughts ?

Scapulars are a lovely devotion, but Catholics aren’t required to wear them at all. You should take them off if you are doing something where wearing them might be unsafe. Though indoor skydiving sounds like it’d be unsafe either way.

Scapular is not some sort of required or superstitious thing. Of course remove it when there is danger (why you would want the danger of skydiving is another thread!!)

Exactly. It is one thing if you are a soldier or a firefighter who needs to parachute in to save lives, but, risking injury for sport? Not the best example of temperance IYKWIM

It’s a prudential judgement. Parachuting is less likely to end in fatality than driving. So the risk is minimal.

-a guy who doesn’t parachute, but does Google

As a pilot I never could understand why someone would want to jump out of an airplane that isn’t on fire, shot to pieces, or the wings/tail didn’t fall off.

And given that a couple of Canadian pilots even brought a 767 and Airbus A330 safely to the ground without functioning engines, I wouldn’t even jump out of one with all engines dead.

To paraphrase Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof, when someone jumps out of an airplane, there’s something wrong with one of them.

There’s enough specialized clothing covering the scapular that I don’t see how it would be a problem.

D

I would never take off my Scapular. Tuck it in under your clothing.

That’s your choice of course.

The question from the OP is that are they allowed to take it off, and the answer is “yes”. Not required to, but certainly they- or you- would be allowed to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.