Scapulars - History, links

newadvent.org/cathen/13508b.htm

I decided to post a topic about scapulars in general and bring attention to the scapular I personally wear. You know I have talked to a religious person of another faith and he said he does not wear nor use images to profess his faith because he believes it is idol worship. So I really don’t know why I brought that up but I think its interesting to note that even Christians of other sects may question why we have such peculiarities like scapulars. One Christian acquaintance once asked me more like told me, why do you wear Jesus on a cross if he is resurrected? I really did not get into it with her, I quickly forgot and certainly didn’t think any of it. However for some reason I just remembered what she had said a long time ago. I myself find it fascinating that G-d (btw I am borrowing the Jewish custom of writing God with a dash on o because I like that they do this to revere His holy name)… wishes to help us by a simple act of wearing a scapular. And to reject or counter argue the claims mentioned above, simply refer them to the history of Jews and their customs which obviously precede Jesus and by which is his lineage or race. In the book of Exodus, Moses instructed the Jewish people enslaved by Pharaoh to have blood on their doors thereby escaping the angel of death to not slay them. G-d only knows I wish He (no gender obviously, He denotes father of creation) that I wish it weren’t so that G-d has attributes of divine justice and wrath just as it is G-d’s nature to be loving and merciful. I know it sounds eery to me but I know that G-d is I AM THAT I AM and does not show partiality to anyone therefore you move when the Lord says move and you better move quick!!! lol. Back to the scapular, well in this same way, the scapular is a sign of fidelity or devotion and the Father knows and therefore rewards and sees all.
Here is information about a scapular that I know is such a grace, so much that I am mystified by it. And I am one not to take promises or commandments of private revelation light. In general, I believe it and know it, yet to do their requests faithfully is something I would like to do better. The would be that I am! oh lordy! I could use prayer in this.

sacramentals.com/ScapularofBenediction.htm

*“And the blood shall be for you for a sign on the houses where you are, and I shall see the blood and I shall pass over you, and there shall not be among you a plague to destroy.” (Exodus 12:13)

Advertised ‘Free Brown Scapular’ you can visit but do investigate yourself, I already have one and received it from a local priest.
freebrownscapular.com/

totallycatholic.com/subcat.php?cid=54&id=151

*** Have any scapular you have blessed by a priest. This is something we have to do. For instance, when Mary enters a room or gathering of believers that have come to hear her message through a visionary, she always blesses their sacramentals, rosaries, and such herself and even kisses them. This is obviously because she is the spouse of the Holy Spirit… Point being have them blessed by a priest. They get this often and will do it for you, its not heard***

I tell people that the crucifix reminds us of how great His love is for us and how much pain He bore for us.:thumbsup:

thanks for the lone post, i guess scapulars or the words i said did not touch those who read it enough to say something or add to. yes you may tell others what you believe but i did not passively react out of indifference nor argumentative nature, but because i myself did not know my faith. so my so called comeback would be completely vain and nonsense if i were to give an answer. so i did right and have no regrets. and i loved this friend too, we played tennis on the same team. she was nice enough to let me borrow her tennis racket during try outs because i did not have one. i still have love for my protestant christian friends, muslims, jews, etc. we are all G-d’s children. nothing needs to be said but respect of others and forgiveness.

That’s when you quote the bible:

“But we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.” -1 Corinthians 1:23-25

It is Christ crucified that brings forth the pure offering; the perfect sacrifice which redeems the world. It is in the crucifixion that we come to share in Christ’s resurrection. Without the crucifixion there would be no resurrection. Therefore, as we wait to share in His resurrection, we first share in his crucifixion today…

“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” -Galatians 2:20

In wearing a crucifix we proclaim the gospel…

I have a great love for the brown scapular which I wear devoutly. To correctly understand the brown scapular we must first understand its origins. The brown scapular for me is a sign of my commitment to follow Jesus Christ daily… The Brown Scapular is a miniature replica of a monk’s habit (garment), when a monk receives his habit he has put on the poverty of the Lord. He has consecrated his life entirely to Jesus Christ; he lives a life of poverty, prayer and chastity, just like Jesus did. It is the simple outerwear (garments) of Jesus and his apostles that the religious orders have modeled their habits after. The religious habits are the outward signs of one’s love for the Lord; to be like Jesus…

“If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.” - Matthew 16:24.

Early Christians chose to follow Christ not only in their spiritual life but also in their worldly sacrifices.

I recently replied to an anti-catholic blog (giannina.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/the-brown-scapular/) which criticizes an elderly woman who wears a brown scapular. I told the anti-catholic not to judge ones heart or presume to know there right standings with the Lord just because they wear a scapular. For God’s grace comes in many ways… a repented sinner might look upon a simple cross, and that might be all he needs to open his heart and allow God’s grace to flow in.

… of course, the anti-catholic did not post my reply.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.