Scared about confession

I’m a Roman Catholic, who wants to come back to the church after a couple of years being away, however I want to mend my relationship by first going to confession so I can participate in the sacraments again. However, I have some sins that weigh heavily on my soul that I committed since I’ve been away and I’m terrified that they are too bad to be forgiven, I’m even more scared of telling the priest, I don’t think I could face him at mass week after week.

I know I should and I know I eventually will. Can anyone help put my fears to rest? I’ve read scripture and been trying to calm myself, but to no avail. Thanks.:o

Take a deep breath and go, believe me, he’s heard it all before, and it’s ALL forgiveable. You will feel soooo good when you come out after your penance, I recently did the same thing and go to confession regularly now, it makes me feel so clean. Don’t be too hard on yourself, I know the priest won’t be…

Good luck, I’ll pray for you.

Please be at peace! Do you think the dear man hasn’t already heard every sin many times over!

You needn’t be embaressed, the priest will just be so thankful that you’ve returned to God.

He will respect you for your courage and humility.

You’ll be walking on air afterwards!

“Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.” [Psalm 43:1]

Put it this way - if you feel bad about your sins it’s a good sign of a conscience that is alive and healthy, and EVERYONE with an alive and healthy conscience feels that way.

Even that very same priest you go to - remember that he himself is a sinner, as we all are, and that he himself has to sometimes go to confession just like the rest of us. And feels bad about his sins just as you do. He won’t look down on you.

You can even start the confession by TELLING him that you are nervous - he’ll have had nervous people in the confessional before as well!

first of all welcome back and try not to be scared of the priest he’s there to help you go to confession as soon as you can because then nothing will be weighing you down and don’t worry it will all be forgiven

i’ll be praying for you

I will pray for you too

Pater noster qui es in coelis,
sanctificetur nomen tuum;
adveniat regnum tuum,
fiat voluntas tua,
sicut in coelo et in terra.
Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie,
et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.
et ne nos inducas in tentationem
sed libera nos a malo.

You could confess at a different church that you don’t attend frequently.

First, don’t worry about the forgiveness of your sins. As the diary of St Faustina says, it hurts Jesus more that people don’t believe in His forgiveness than the actual sins do. He will forgive you and His mercy is endless.

Bingo. Go see a different priest and you won’t have to worry about what your pastor thinks about you.

If Jesus could forgive His executioners, then He can forgive you.

Well, she COULD do that - but it wouldn’t eliminate her fear that her sins are too great to be forgiven. And wouldn’t help her in the event that later on she has no choice but to go to her parish priest with something embarrassing.

exactly what i thought

Conversation of the Merciful God with a Despairing Soul

Jesus: O soul steeped in darkness, do not despair. All is not yet lost. Come and confide in your God, who is love and mercy.

But the soul, deaf even to this appeal, wraps itself in darkness.

Jesus calls out again: My child, listen to the voice of your merciful Father.

In the soul arises this reply, “For me there is no mercy,” and it falls into greater darkness, a despair which is a foretaste of hell and makes it unable to draw near to God.

Jesus calls to the souls a third time, but the soul remains deaf and blind, hardened and despairing. Then the mercy of God begins to exert itself, and, without any co-operation from the soul, God grants it final grace. If this too is spurned, God will leave the soul in this self chosen disposition for eternity. This grace emerges from the merciful Heart of Jesus and gives the soul a special light by means of which the soul begins to understand God’s effort; but conversion depends on its own will. The soul knows that this, for her, is final grace and, should it show even a flicker of good will, the mercy of God will accomplish the rest.

My omnipotent mercy is active here. Happy the soul that takes advantage of this grace.

Jesus: What joy fills My Heart when you return to Me. Because you are weak, I take you in My arms and carry you to the home of My Father.

Soul: (as if awakening, asks fearfully): Is it possible that there is yet mercy for me?

Jesus: There is, My child. You have a special claim on My mercy. Let it act in your poor soul; let the rays of grace enter your soul; they bring with them light, warmth, and life.

Soul: But fear fills me at the thought of my sins, and this terrible fear moves me to doubt Your goodness.

Jesus: My child, all your sins have not wounded My Heart as painfully as your present lack of trust does - that after so many efforts of My love and mercy, you should still doubt My goodness.

Soul: O Lord, save me yourself, for I perish. Be my Savior. O Lord, I am unable to say anything more; my pitiful heart is torn asunder; but You, O Lord…

Jesus does not let the soul finish but, raising it from the ground, from the depths of its misery, he leads it into the recesses of His Heart where all its sins disappear instantly, consumed by the flames of love.

Jesus: Here, soul, are all the treasures of My Heart. Take everything you need from it.

Soul: O Lord, I am inundated with Your grace. I sense that a new life has entered into me and, above all, I feel Your love in my heart. That is enough for me. O Lord, I will glorify the omnipotence of Your mercy for all eternity. Encouraged by Your goodness, I will confide to You all the sorrows of my heart.

Jesus: Tell Me all, My child, hide nothing from Me because My loving Heart, the Heart of Your Best Friend is listening to you.

Soul: O Lord, now I see all my ingratitude and Your goodness. You were pursuing me with Your grace, while I was frustrating Your benevolence. I see that I deserve the depths of hell for spurning Your graces.

Jesus (interrupting): Do not be absorbed in your misery - you are still too weak to speak of it - but, rather, gaze on My Heart filled with goodness, and be imbued with My sentiments. Strive for meekness and humility; be merciful to others, as I am to you; and, when you feel your strength failing, if you come to the fountain of mercy to fortify your soul, you will not grow weary on your journey.

Soul: Now I understand Your mercy, which protects me and like a brilliant star, leads me into the home of my Father, protecting me from all the horrors of hell that I have deserved, not once, but a thousand times. O Lord, eternity will hardly suffice for me to give due praise to Your unfathomable mercy and Your compassion for me.

Saint Faustina pray for us!

Thanks for your posts everyone. It’s great to so supported. I thank Jesus I’ve finally come home. I’ll let you know how i go. Thank you again.

Be not afraid.

I was in your shoes before. I went to a priest I knew and I went face to face (you could always go behind a screen). I put the worst stuff out there first and he never batted an eye, never gasped in horror, and didn’t fall off of his chair. And he never looked at me any differently.

I floated through life for days.

God loves us so much and Jesus paid such a price that we could be forgiven. Read the story of the Prodigal Son. See how the Father runs out to forgive the son. If an earthly father could offer such forgiveness, how much more does our Heavenly Father offer us? God wants us to be with Him and He loves to forgive.

Lent is coming up soon. That would be a great time to go to confession.

You’re in my prayers.

Kat,

Welcome home! I recently saw a friend return to the Church after a 5 year absence, and he felt very much like you did… that his sins were too terrible and that he couldn’t be forgiven. I reminded him of story of the prodigal son. Remember, that you’re not confessing to the priest, but to Christ, who is represented by the priest. He already knows that you are on your way home… he sees you in the distance making the final steps and is already planing a huge party in heaven for when you finally do make it home.

As far as the fear goes… I still get really nervous (sometimes one can see my aorta pounding through my stomach) and will “decide” for a few minutes to not go to confession. I am convinced that it is the work of the enemy, because he certainly doesn’t want you to come back in communion with the Church, because if you’re back in communion and a part of the Body of Christ, he has less power over you. I’ve found prayers to St. Michael help greatly, during my examination of conscience and in waiting in line before Mass.

I will be praying for you, and again, WELCOME HOME!

God Bless!
Ericka

KAT3:
Somebody told me once that the most repeated phrase Our Lord said in the Bible was “Do not be Afraid!”

No matter how great your sins are Our Lord’s mercy is even greater. Trust in Him!

I’ll say a prayer for you!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yup. But that’s why I posted this first:

Wanted to add, too, from the Gospel this past weekend:

“If you wish, you can make me clean.” “I do will it. Be made clean.”

Our leprosy is a spiritual one - sin. But when Jesus encouters the leper, he reaches out and touches him. He does the same thing to us - reaches out and touches us through the sacraments. And he DOES will that we be made clean.

I checked around before I went to confession - on the internet, etc, because I, too, was worried that my sins couldn’t be forgiven or that the priest would just tell me that there was no place for me in the church. Now I look back and think that I was pretty ridiculous. Now I know better. I have been met with nothing but kindness in the confessional.

You GO, girl! Welcome home.

(I think you meant waiting in line before Confession, not Mass.:wink: , although in my church confession opportunities are before & during Mass; maybe you meant that.)

Similarly, my heart pounds, whether it’s been 3 weeks or 3 years. I’m always terrified. Maybe someday that will stop? :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.