Scared about confession

A few minutes? IF ONLY I only ever avoided confession for that short a time! Sadly, sometimes I don’t.

I meant confession, which is scheduled before Mass… sometimes my fingers don’t say what my brain is trying to say… :blushing: I don’t think the fear will ever stop, as, like I said in my first post, Satan doesn’t want us to confess our sins and receive absolution, as we will then be reunited with the Body of Christ… the last thing he wants. Using fear is a good way to discourage us from doing that.

Again… fingers (and mouth) tend to act on their own accord… I meant a few weeks (since I’ve stopped smoking, I’ve tried to go every week, for the graces that come from confession, to both help me stay quit and to keep my sinful nature (that is trying to come about by trying to do good) in check). I have no idea where “minutes” came from.

God Bless!
Ericka

By all means, go!

The Sacrament of Reconcilation is such a gift from God. We are so blessed to have this given to us.

All the posters are right… your fears are valid but it is all worth it…

I agree; it is scary. I have been Catholic for almost 9 years and I still can’t go through a confession without getting teary. When you go, look at the priest’s eyes. The thing I have noticed, no matter who the priest has been, I have seen the love of Jesus through his eyes.

I am not sure if the tears are from talking about my sins or because I know I am in the presence of Jesus in the sacrament.

You won’t regret it…I promise.

You will be in my prayers… God bless you and welcome back!

Pam

I had this happen to me a few months ago. That confession was difficult from the time I started preparing for it. When I got to church, my heart was pounding like I had run a marathon. In the confessional, it felt like I was walking through mud trying to say what I had to say. Thank goodness for my list! The whole thing caught me off guard, because I had been breezing through confessions with barely a sweaty palm for several months, and this one just stopped me in my tracks. Yeah, I had sins, but they weren’t anything particularly sordid. And when I was done, the penance was about as difficult as the confession, so perhaps it all worked out.

Bottom line: I am still alive to tell about it. It was humbling, as it should be, and I am very thankful for God’s merciful gift.

This is my story word for word, and I’m here to tell you to get it done and you will feel 100% better.

I went through RCIA for my mom’s sake in 1997, but to me spirituality was more about saying my lines and standing in the right place than it was about a relationship with God. After I was baptized, given eucharist and confirmed, I never did go to confession. I went through the motions for a couple of years, profaning the blessed sacrament by taking communion in a state of mortal sin, just trying to be like everyone else. I eventually fell away from association with the church.

I went to church again for the first time in January. I knew what I had to do, but I was afraid, just like I had been twelve years earlier, so I made an appointment with the priest to talk about it. He was incredibly kind and walked me through every step, reverently but with a sense of humor. Most important was his assurance that what happens in the confessional stays in the confessional. I decided to go home to make a good examination of conscience and I returned at the appointed time two weeks later.

I chose to sit opposite him, though he would not have thought less of me for confessing through the screen. I spilled my last twelve years on him. We’re talking about some heavy stuff here–things I should go to prison for. He displayed compassion that only could have come from a very close relationship with God. I was so grateful to him and to the church and to God for their compassion and counsel and I participated in what was truly my first eucharist since my first the next day.

I am madly in love with this sacrament and I think that we Catholics are profoundly blessed to be able to take advantage of it. If you’re still scared, I would encourage you to make an appointment with the priest to talk about it, and then jump in and do it.

You’ll be in my prayers. Good luck.

-MM-

My suggestion is to actually make an appointment with a priest and do a face to face… or you can do traditional but still make an appointment. That way it will be very private, and you will not feel rushed if there are others waiting in line. It is VERY much worth it to go. Once you have gone, try to make it a regular event to receive the sacrament of reconciliation.

God Bless you.

Well, i jumped in and did it today. I was sweating from head to toe and my stomach was tying itself in knots, but i finally worked up the courage to go in and confess. As you all said, the priest didn’t bat an eyelid and seemed happy that i was there, back where i belonged. I had made up a list of what i wanted to confess, and i think i got most of it out, i know i forgot some things because i was so nervous, however i’ll confess those next week now i have remembered. Yes, there were tears, but relief also. Thank you all so much for helping me along, it makes it all ther more easier knowing people go through the same thing i do before confession and that i am also in people’s prayers. I pray for you all, also. Praise be to God that He’s led me back. God Bless all. :smiley:

that’s wonderful :extrahappy:

Praise God. Congratulations!..WELCOME HOME!

I remember my just 2 years ago. Try remembering 17 years worth of sin not really remembering what is actually actually constitues mortal sin exactly. But I had one mother load of sins to confess, so I dumbed him with estimates of how many times. Protestants don’t thing many of the sins the Church teaches to be serious or especially “mortal sin”. I was absolutely humiliated… It took me a few visits to the confessional to get it out. I called it sweeping out the cobwebs.

There is a special grace for clergy, or anyone for that matter, for bringing someone back into the Church. Priests get particularly thrilled to see fallen away Catholics return home. In some ways it validates they priesthood. My friend tells me that I make him feel the joy of being a priest again by reminding him how special it is. Anyone can get complacent, even priests.

Glad to see you made the Angels sing!

Kat: Congratulations! You did it!! What a wonderful way to start out as Lent begins this week. I am know it wasn’t easy but you relied on the love of Our Lord and had an opportunity to enter into the sacrament, which means you were with Jesus!
Keep us posted! Peace be with you!

Pam

Good for you! May God bless you! I’ll still keep you in my prayers!

Ericka

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.