Scared to Convert

My family belongs to an Episcopal Church. My mother grew up in this church, and I was born into, and baptized in this church. It is filled with great people, and the priest is one of the best people I know.
I am really scared to say that I want to convert to Catholicism, as I have a nice relationship with most of these people, and couldn’t stand to hurt their feelings or insult them.
Also, this Is a secondary problem; I am currently lacking the confidence to tell my parents that I want to convert.

I really don’t know what to do… I’m torn between the truth, and preserving the feelings of the people I care about.

I have no idea how to handle this situation

i did what you are contemplating about 5 years ago, after having been an episcopalian for 22 years. one of the best decisions i ever made.

pray the rosary and ask God for guidance.

Tylerlong#? Congragulations!! I know that this will be hard. I will pray for you.

P.S. can I call you Tylerlong#?

PPS: my ninja army is with you!!
:nunchuk::nunchuk::nunchuk::nunchuk:
:nunchuk::nunchuk::nunchuk::nunchuk:

Just tell them, if they TRULY love you they’d accept you and love anyway. You have Heavenly assurance to gain, and nothing to lose! Trust me, you won’t regret your decision! :smiley:

God bless :byzsoc: and we welcome you with open arms! :grouphug:

David

Tyler, I encourage you to follow the blog AtonementOnline written by Fr. Christopher Phillips, a priest and convert from Anglicanism who coincidentally is originally from Connecticut.

I know this is serious and I agree with followingtheway, but ninja army nee reinforcements!!
:nunchuk::nunchuk::stretcher::crutches:
:nunchuk::nunchuk::blackeye::stretcher:
That should be enough. (just tryin to lighten the mood)

I was in a similar situation only a few months ago. I had started RCIA classes through my Catholic university, and I needed my baptismal certificate from the Lutheran church that I had grown up in, had close friends in, had good relationships in, etc.

I was nervous to go to the pastor in order to obtain my certificate. However, my desire to come into communion with the Catholic Church was stronger than my nervousness.

When I finally talked to my old pastor, he did talk with me, because he was legitimately curious about my conversion. He wasn't happy about the whole thing (and who can blame him?) but he was understanding, and was glad that I had found a place where I really felt that I belonged and that I really believed in.

I have a feeling that your Episcopalian priest would have a similar response to your conversion that my Lutheran pastor did.

Peace be with you, and do not be afraid. :)

[quote="teenphilo1, post:6, topic:252888"]
I know this is serious and I agree with followingtheway, but ninja army nee reinforcements!!

[/quote]

Many thanks :cool: My FBI agency will help :onpatrol: :onpatrol: :onpatrol: :onpatrol:

The fears are worse than the reality. When I left a Fundamentalist church to cross the Tiber, my family was worried, but it didn't change the love we have for one another. God has a way of making things fall into place.

You said a mouthful here. Once one is convinced of the truth, they have a moral obligation to pursue it, regardless of the cost.

To the OP: What if your conversion causes your family to realize that they, too, may not be experiencing the fullness of Christ? Rather than fear the negative, pray for the positive.

The Episcopal religion is just a copy-cat of Catholicism. If you were converting from Baptist, Lutheran, 7th Day Adventist, Pentecostal, Nazarene, or such...I could see them freaking out because you would be going to that weird, idol-worshipping, Bible-bashing, mysterious Church governed by the premier religious figure on the planet and doing weird stuff like holding candles at Easter and getting Ashes and not eating meat. They would want to hold you back and save you. But Episcopal? What objection can they make?

first, so thrilled you will be an official member of our family.

pray about it... ask for God's strength. They will love you regardless.

Just keep reassuring them that God wants you to convert and that you are happy about your decision..be patient and kind to their worries..they may not understand.

Catholicism is universal and welcomes your friends/family...you will be a walking testament to that.

Do it.

I converted over from Southern Baptist and everybody lived through it. Your family and friends will still be your family and friends.

The best piece of action is to tell your parents. It my be tough but I did it.

My parents thought it was a little weird considering I had been brought up Atheist, but they said as long as I was happy, they would take me to church, do whatever they could to help me when I was about.

If you don’t do it, you will end feeling all pent-up inside like I did, hating keeping it secret. It really does feel good to get it out in public.

God bless :slight_smile:

As a convert, I'd say.. it's totally worth it to take this step :)

our relationship with God should come first and if He is calling you to the Church, that is important and a great blessing! :)

I know it's scary to tell your family and friends (I know, it took me a lot of time to figure out how to do this) - but even if they'll be against it, maybe eventually your witness would lead them to the Church too :)

Maybe you'd like the book by Scott Hahn, "Rome Sweet Home".

God bless!

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.