Scared what my family will think

Hello. I am pretty sure I want to enter religious life. I am pretty sure I want to join the Missionaries of Charity Brothers. I am extremely scared at what my family will think. My mom puts alot of emphasis on leisure and relaxation. I know the life of an MC is hard work. Should I try to avoid what my mother has to say and just go and become one? I don’t want her to think I am going to just be constantly working my entire life. But I want to. I feel called by God to be selfless, a symbol of charity, someone who lives in poverty, serving the poor. All for God. This is God’s choice. Not my own. As stupid as this may seem to some it really has been bothering me.

God Bless You All

I do not know anything about the Missionaries of Charity Brothers but I would think that any religious order has time to relax, unwind and spend time in leisure. If they didnt and without a balance, they would burn out!

Jesus said No one who loves father or mother, brother or sister, son or daughter more than me is worthy of me.

So, don’t let your family’s wishes hinder your devotion to Christ.

The Missionaries of Charity were founded by Mother Teresa. This is the male equivalent.

OP, this is the Scripture another poster referred to from the 10th Chapter of Matthew:

[quote=JesusChrist] 35 For I have come to turn " ‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law-- 36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’ 37 "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
[/quote]

This answers it all. :thumbsup:

You need to appreciate where your family are coming from - talk to them and try to understand their concerns while also helping them to understand why you want to do this. Finding out as much information as you can about the application process, training and life will help. Introducing them to someone from the order may also help. Simply going ahead anyway is likely to cause more hurt and heartache for both you and them.

Oh wow. I just found their website. mcbrothers.org/

That’s really noble. Your mother might be proud of you. You won’t know till she finds out.

You are seeking the better and more blessed state of life; don’t let anyone elses opinion of it dissuade you.:thumbsup:

Be charitable but firm with your family if they oppose you. We always need to put God first in all our decisions.

St Thomas Aquinas had this problem, as did a few other saints. The Church teaches that parents ought not to interfere with the adult decisions of their children, esp regarding their vocations.

That being said, I have seen a copy of the Rule (daily schedule) of the Sisters of Charity, and I was surprised how much leisure they had and how much work they did.

No kidding. Imagine if St. Thomas had buckled in to his family’s wishes and taken a wife. That’s not a good outcome. I think if a person is called by God to such a life, then it’s not any of our places to get in the way. It’s a matter between that person, the religious who must decide whether to accept him, and God.

Lots of young people seem to have this problem even if they want to join one of the armed forces, at least so I’ve heard.

that website offers a trial visit…that would be prudent

Bryce: Don’t rush into anything. Six days ago you had your own plans to be a psychiatrist or a psychologist, right? It’s not for me to say whether you are called into a vocation or not, but just don’t rush.

God Bless you, Bryce.

Have you had a chance to visit the MC Brothers? That will be a good place to begin.

Are they like the MC Sisters and only make a trip to their family every 5 or 10 years (I forgot the number)?

Have you spoken with the vocation director at your diocese? He can help you understand how to talk with your family about a possible discernment to religious life.

The MC Sisters are my favorite order of Sisters. They live such a beautiful life. I don’t know anything about the MC Brothers.

Of course their is time to relax. Go for it, We need catholic brothers

From the MC Brothers website:

mcbrothers.org/index.html

Could God be calling you?

If you are interested in finding out more about our life, begin by writing a little about yourself to vocations director at the nearest Regional Centre. We can then arrange for you to make a short visit to experience our way of life. Those who are accepted for entrance begin their formation with a one month experience followed by one or two years as a ‘Come and See’ (postulancy). This would be followed by two years of novitiate followed by five or six years of temporary vows, renewed annually, leading up to perpetual consecration. Candidates must be aged over 18 and (usually) under 30 years old, and in good health.

Regional Centre for
The Americas mcbrothers.org/contact.html (See Link for address of MC)
Guatemala City
GUATEMALA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.