Scared

I did a very terrible mortal sin my worst one I ever did. I am so scared to confess it but I know that I have to. I been praying for help a lot lately for help but I am still scared of what the priest will say. I don’t know what to do.

Oh no. I can’t imagine how you feel. My mortal sins are the “typical” kind dealing with sexuality. I’m sorry you’re scared. A priest isn’t going to judge you though. If a lay person like me feels pity for you, I’m sure a priest will without a doubt.

Have you ever Confessed a mortal sin before? Is that why you’re worried?

My advice is if, after prayer, you’re ready to Confess then you should open with the title of your thread: “i’m scared Father”. He knows what you feel, he confesses too. If you express yourself he’ll understand your situation more and you can feel better about it. He’s not there to judge :slight_smile:

If you need to talk you can send me a private message if you want. I’ll pray for you.

I like this prayer when I need to reconnect to Jesus for forgiveness. It’s called the Jesus Prayer and you just say it over and over thinking about nothing else:
Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Thanks for the help and the prayer I will use it. And yes this is my first confession of a mortal sin and that is why I think I am scared.

Your priest isn’t there to judge you-he’s only there to act as a link between Man and God so that God sees that you truly regret sinning and are repentive.

Do not, ever, be afraid of confessing to a priest, no matter how horrible the sin! Not confessing a sin is a sin in itself, and is much more serious than committing the sin in question!

Your priest will hear you and absolve you. He might ask a question or two, or give you advice, but remember, he’s not going to reject you, beat you, tell you there’s no hope for you, or punish you in any way. He’s there to help you-not to judge. The judging is for God to do.

Be brave! If you aren’t afraid to tell someone what you did, then you shouldn’t be afraid to tell a priest :slight_smile:

God loves you, and God will forgive you, so long as you show God your remorse by confessing.

My best wishes to you, and let me know if you need someone to talk to.

Even when I don’t have “really bad” sins to confess, I still hate going to confession, but I do it once a month anyway.

I try praying to Our Blessed Mother to just take me by the hand and walk with me into the confessional. Ask your guardian angel to also give you strength to do this. And of course, always, ask Jesus for his Mercy, which is always there for you. Remember, the Apostle Paul told us that where sin abounds, grace does much more abound.

Whatever you have done, I guarantee you, whatever priest you go to, unless he is fresh out of the seminary, he has heard it before you. You won’t shock him in any way. But if you are truly remorseful, and you certainly seem to be, you will elicit love and empathy from him, and he will joyfully give you absolution. Guaranteed. Just tell him how hard it is for you to say what you have to say.

When you walk out of that confessional, rest assured the angels in heaven will be rejoicing for you.

God bless you,

Mary

It is very easy to be scared of confession, especially when we do something worse than we’ve known ourselves to do in the past. I have certainly been in the position in which I have reached what seemed to me to be a “new low” and, though I cannot read your mind and know precisely how you feel, nor can I know the nature of your sin, I can relate to the fear of not knowing how a priest will respond, if for no other reason than as a convert I still haven’t mastered the right attitude about viewing Confession as a gift.

Scapularkid8 has given you some wonderful advice (scapularkid8, this kind of posting is exactly what I meant in the other thread–you know what I mean :slight_smile: ) and I can offer nothing better than that. I too will be praying for you, and I too am willing to be a set of ears–well, in the case of the internet, eyes–should you want to talk. I was once in Seminary and take very seriously confidentiality and not being disgusted with any repentant sinner. It may help you to recall that a priest cannot ever reveal your confession or act on the knowledge outside of the confessional, as well as that any given priest with much experience has heard (and compassionately absolved) sins that you yourself might never even dream of committing.

There is no sin that God cannot forgive, and He will display His compassion through the priest. If you find yourself absolutely too scared, make an anonymous, behind-the-screen confession with a priest you don’t know, if possible, but if not do not let this prevent you; as many times as I have feared confession with priests who knew me very well–and thus whose opinions of me I feared to change–they have always responded with compassion and warmth. I hope you can gain encouragement here.

Blessings in Christ,
KindredSoul

P.S. It seems that in the time I was posting, you have received yet more terrific advice from ErichK and Brooklyn. By the time I click “Submit Reply” there will possibly be more. Take heart in this–know that you have our support, hopes and prayers here.

Thank you all for all the support! I feel better already for this confession. This is still going to be hard to do but I know I Can. I just need to remind my my self that the priest is going to be helpful. :slight_smile:

God loves you. His Mercy is infinite and unfathomable. He has already redeemed you in His blood. Trust in His Mercy, and when you go to confession, remember that you will be really confessing to Jesus, with the priest as His instrument. God knows that you are sorry and has already forgiven you…He’s just waiting to see you take the step toward Him in the confessional…He will do the rest.

Place one drop of the Blood of Jesus on your heart and fear nothing.

Praise God for your newfound resolve and comfort!

Blessings in Christ,
KindredSoul

I was in your position a few years ago, but the priest was wonderful, even when I started to cry. Whatever your sin may be, he’s probably heard it hundreds of times by now. You’re not going to shock him. You’ll feel so much better afterward you’ll wonder why you were afraid in the first place. Everything will be fine so just go ahead and get it done.

I have never been met by anything other than kindness and encouragement in the confessional - no matter the sin, and I’ve had more than one mortal one to confess. The priest is not there to condemn you. He is there to enflesh the love and mercy of Jesus Christ, and most of them do a wonderful job in this regard.

One of the “biggest” confessions that I had to make was also one of the most healing and comforting ones. The priest (whom I knew well, and whom I was face to face with) did not gasp in horror. Never even batted an eye.

You will be fine and I will say a prayer for you!

From Divine Mercy In My Soul:

Today the Lord said to me, Daughter, when you go to confession, to this fountain of My mercy, the Blood and Water which came forth from My Heart always flows down upon your soul and ennobles it. Every time you go to confession, immerse yourself in My mercy, with great trust, so that I may pour the bounty of My grace upon your soul. When you approach the confessional, know this, that I Myself am waiting there for you. I am only hidden by the priest, but I myself act in your soul. Here the misery of the soul meets the God of mercy. Tell souls that from this fount of mercy souls draw graces solely with the vessel of trust. If their trust is great, there is no limit to My generosity. The torrents of grace inundate humble souls. The proud remain always in poverty and misery, because My grace turns away from them to humble souls. (1602)

My daughter, just as you prepare in My presence, so also you make your confession before Me. The person of the priest is, for Me, only a screen. Never analyse what sort of a priest it is that I am making use of; open your soul in confession as you would to Me, and I will fill it with My light. (1725)

Write, speak of My mercy. Tell souls where they are to look for solace; that is, in the Tribunal of Mercy. There the greatest miracles take place [and] are incessantly repeated. To avail oneself of this miracle, it is not necessary to go on a great pilgrimage or to carry out some external ceremony; it suffices to come with faith to the feet of My representative and to reveal to him one’s misery, and the miracle of Divine Mercy will be fully demonstrated. Were a soul like a decaying corpse so that from a human standpoint, there would be no [hope of ] restoration and everything would already be lost, it is not so with God. The miracle of Divine Mercy restores that soul in full. Oh, how miserable are those who do not take advantage of the miracle of God’s mercy! You will call out in vain, but it will be too late. (1448)

I never thought of it that way. Thanks I am sure to remember that.

He will probably say something to the effect of, “I absolve you from all your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

Don’t you think?

In any case, sex is not at the heart of Christian morality or spirituality, nor is it the major sin.

Pride is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.