Scary chain letters

Hey guys,

so I read this chain letter/post on facebook and it was the horrible story of a little girl who killed a buncha people and then was eventually killed in a mental institution. The letter said to repost it 10 times or the little girl will kill you at midnight monday. Now I know this isn’t true but I was scared so I reposted it 10 times but then deleted them because I didn’t want other people to read it and get creeped out.

Later I thought about it, and I wonder if I had partaken in superstition by reposting the story? Any input?

Thanks

I NEVER repost or forward chain letters. NEVER. Be they prayers, nice stories, or warnings. I consider anything that tells me to “forward this to X number of people and Y will happen” to be spam. I will respond to the sender if I find a warning listed as a hoax on snopes-dot-com. Otherwise - I delete it. Oh, and I usually lose a little respect for the person who posted or sent it.

Is it sinful to repost them?

I don’t think so but I don’t consider it very nice. If you did it out of superstition it could be venial.

That’s exactly why they tack on those “scary” warnings – to coerce people to pass along an otherwise trite email forward “just in case”.

I agree with Mary Ellen. I never pass along stuff with such warnings of bad or promises of good. It’s spam.

Yes, passing such things on can be superstitious, and that can be sinful. As to whether or not what you did qualifies, I’d leave that to your own discernment in Confession.

:thumbsup: Ditto.

Please realize that others may NOT want to read some scary or graphic story and know that passing along or forwarding those kinds of emails can be very dangerous to other’s computers. They often have a virus attached to them that can cause substantial damage to a computer and/or allow hacking of their private information.

Simply delete and mark as spam those sort of things once they arrive in your inbox/on your newsfeed and consider blocking the person that sent it to you if contained some kind of “threat” like the one you originally posted or contained graphic/violent content.

Chain letters have been around for decades. They are nothing but garbage, and no one likes to have them sent on to them. Look how it made you feel.

I’m glad you realized that others may not want to read some scary or graphic story! Please keep in mind that passing along or forwarding those kinds of emails can be very dangerous to other’s computers. They often have a virus attached to them that can cause substantial damage to a system and/or allow hacking of their private information.

Simply delete and mark as spam those sort of things once they arrive in your inbox/on your newsfeed and consider blocking the person that sent it to you if contained some kind of “threat” like the one you originally posted or contained graphic/violent content.

I know I don’t like to either. I just did it cuz it scared me. I don’t like scary movies and it’s even worse when you read something directed at you telling you you’re gonna be killed at midnight on a certain day :bighanky:

What kind of people come up with this garbage? It’s really mean.

At what point does superstition become sinful?

thanks that’s good advice :slight_smile:

I know, I don’t get why people create them? They probably don’t bother most people very much but I’m kind of an anxious person :frowning:

Ignore all " chain letters, " they are an insrument of Satain designed to make people superstitious, in order to tempt them to give up their faith. They are always designed through the instigation of occult powers, eventhough human instruments are used.

Linus2nd

Sorry you were creeped out. Chain letters are majorly annoying and I strongly dislike them but nothing will happen to you if you don’t pass them on. I delete them, mostly unread and I’ve never been murdered, hit by a car, or struck by lightening. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.